• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
I'm really fond of how it plays with game-like mechanics without feeling like it's dragging everything down. Especially since most of the game series (such as SAO, Log Horizon and even .hack) don't even touch upon the idea of leveling (other than it being a number beside the character's name).
I just recently read the first 2 light novels and there's a reason for leveling up to be so much more important in DanMachi:

spoiler[The current highest level adventurer is Aiz at level 6, though I can't recall if that was actually shown in the anime. The second light novel ends when Bell saves Lili from dying, so it's not terribly far into the series when she levels up either. It's also said that most adventurers are level 1. Significantly less are level 2 and anything beyond that is considered extremely rare.

Compared to other shows like the ones you mentioned, where they're playing in an MMO that has 90+ levels (in the case of SAO I don't think it even has a level cap), leveling up in DanMachi is a big deal because of what it takes for it to happen.]
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So, out of every MMO-themed show out there (in one way or another), why is this the only one that seems to take adventuring in a dungeon seriously?

This was one outstanding episode: I could almost feel the despair of being attacked by wave after wave of creatures. And yeah, DanMachi's title is certainly the most misleading one of the entire season.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:

Yeah, I've been reading the light novels as well. It's great what they're doing there. In many ways it reminds me more of tabletop RPGs than it does of MMOs, with more emphasis on actual adventuring and cooperation.

Via_01 wrote:
So, out of every MMO-themed show out there (in one way or another), why is this the only one that seems to take adventuring in a dungeon seriously?

This was one outstanding episode: I could almost feel the despair of being attacked by wave after wave of creatures. And yeah, DanMachi's title is certainly the most misleading one of the entire season.

That's a very good question. I mean, hasn't Slayers and Record of Lodoss War proven anything in the past? Heck, even the recent Akatsuki no Yona has proven that people still love a good adventure.

Also, I agree about the feeling of despair. I've yet to suffer anything similar to a pass parade in any of the RPGs I've played, but the sheer thought of facing something like that would be terrifying.

Finally, a couple of last comments about this episode.

1. I love how Welf and Lili refer to the killer rabbits as Bell when they first see them. Love the comparison seeing as, at least in the novels, a lot of people refer to Bell as the rabbit boy.

2. This is directed to Rebecca Silverman: spoiler[ I'm not sure if you've read any of the series, but in the first novel Freya says that she would follow Bell to heaven if he were to die and claim his soul. She'll follow him wherever he ends up. I don't believe that they included that in the anime, but it first comes up during the Silverback incident. That's why she keeps putting him into dangerous situations. If he dies, it's not an issue to her, but if he survives, all the better for her as he becomes even more alluring to her. ][/spoiler]
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
2. This is directed to Rebecca Silverman: spoiler[ I'm not sure if you've read any of the series, but in the first novel Freya says that she would follow Bell to heaven if he were to die and claim his soul. She'll follow him wherever he ends up. I don't believe that they included that in the anime, but it first comes up during the Silverback incident. That's why she keeps putting him into dangerous situations. If he dies, it's not an issue to her, but if he survives, all the better for her as he becomes even more alluring to her. ][/spoiler]

Freya's actual intentions are spoiler[laid out pretty early in the books. It feels weird that they haven't gone over that by now. There's only a few episodes left for this season and the only major antagonist of the show, aside from The Dungeon itself, has had maybe a few minutes of screen time and has barely said anything at all.

Freya's scenes in the books are full of her thinking about Bell and mulling over how long she might stay interested in him after she wins him over. They could have at least included one of those, and the scene where she charms the people watching over the monsters for Monsterphilia, to make her more than a villain with no apparent motivation. Did they even mention that she's the Goddess of Beauty? That's kind of an important detail to gloss over.

The complete lack of character development for Freya has me thinking she won't be the "boss" of this season. That or they're going to dump her motivation on us at the last second—something I sincerely hope they don't do.]
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Watching this episode, when I realized what the other party was going to do, I said "Train!" They may have called it a Pass Parade, but it's the same concept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
CaRoss wrote:

Freya's actual intentions are spoiler[laid out pretty early in the books. It feels weird that they haven't gone over that by now. There's only a few episodes left for this season and the only major antagonist of the show, aside from The Dungeon itself, has had maybe a few minutes of screen time and has barely said anything at all.

Freya's scenes in the books are full of her thinking about Bell and mulling over how long she might stay interested in him after she wins him over. They could have at least included one of those, and the scene where she charms the people watching over the monsters for Monsterphilia, to make her more than a villain with no apparent motivation. Did they even mention that she's the Goddess of Beauty? That's kind of an important detail to gloss over.

The complete lack of character development for Freya has me thinking she won't be the "boss" of this season. That or they're going to dump her motivation on us at the last second—something I sincerely hope they don't do.]

Thank you, this is exactly what I've been asking for for weeks now, but the only answers I've been getting is "she wants his hot body because he's totes strong and has hax skillz" and similar unhelpful tripe. This helps greatly going forward, as her scenes explain nothing whatsoever other than (a) she enjoys pouring wine on the floor, and (b) she has a wicked cameltoe issue, and enjoys rubbing it up against the camera while writhing dramatically and moaning in an offputting, hypersexualized way that is so melodramatic as to actually make it NOT sexy, just creeper-esque. These traits do not a good villain make, maybe a mid boss at best but seriously, I can't care about such a flat character, good guy or bad (or just misguided, whichever). Hopefully it's elaborated upon more effectively in S2, which seems inevitable given the success of boob ribbon and the general high quality and popularity of this show -- I can't imagine it hasn't increased the sales of the LN and manga upon which it's based, nor that the anime won't sell well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Ok, so gods are not allowed in the dungeons. Sez who? What's the penalty for violating this rule if they are caught? Death? Exile? No pie for dessert? They missed an easy chance to escalate the situation by not telling us more about this, and it wouldn't have taken much. Without knowing just how big a risk they're taking to go save Bell & Co. personally, it kind of blunts the tension they've otherwise built so well.

Along with the sez who part, have they ever explained anything at all about the existence of the dungeons and how they work? Who's running that show? Who's stocking it with monsters? So far I've just put all this aside as part accepting the setting, but this new rule has got me thinking about it all over again. Smile
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, so gods are not allowed in the dungeons. Sez who? What's the penalty for violating this rule if they are caught? Death? Exile? No pie for dessert? They missed an easy chance to escalate the situation by not telling us more about this, and it wouldn't have taken much. Without knowing just how big a risk they're taking to go save Bell & Co. personally, it kind of blunts the tension they've otherwise built so well.

Yup. A bit of exposition here and there would take this show to the next level so freakin easily.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Along with the sez who part, have they ever explained anything at all about the existence of the dungeons and how they work? Who's running that show? Who's stocking it with monsters? So far I've just put all this aside as part accepting the setting, but this new rule has got me thinking about it all over again. Smile

I think the guy from Magi came by one day and dropped it off. Cool
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Thank you, this is exactly what I've been asking for for weeks now, but the only answers I've been getting is "she wants his hot body because he's totes strong and has hax skillz" and similar unhelpful tripe. This helps greatly going forward, as her scenes explain nothing whatsoever other than (a) she enjoys pouring wine on the floor, and (b) she has a wicked cameltoe issue, and enjoys rubbing it up against the camera while writhing dramatically and moaning in an offputting, hypersexualized way that is so melodramatic as to actually make it NOT sexy, just creeper-esque. These traits do not a good villain make, maybe a mid boss at best but seriously, I can't care about such a flat character, good guy or bad (or just misguided, whichever). Hopefully it's elaborated upon more effectively in S2, which seems inevitable given the success of boob ribbon and the general high quality and popularity of this show -- I can't imagine it hasn't increased the sales of the LN and manga upon which it's based, nor that the anime won't sell well.

See, the thing is, they aren't wrong. She DOES want Bell for such a shallow reason. Her scenes in the book are just as creepy, if not even creepier, than you think she is.

spoiler[She straight out admits that she caught a small glimpse of Bell's white hair and decided she had to have him. She collects men like an adventurer might collect trophies and decides who to go after on a whim. She gets off on the hunt for the next man and quickly throws them on a "shelf" when she's bored with them.

The only reason she didn't strike earlier is because she didn't know which familia Bell belonged to. As soon as she found out that he belongs to Hestia, Freya believed she could take Bell whenever she wants.]

There are other things they don't really tell as much as I would like, such as spoiler[some of Bell's inner thoughts while interacting with Hestia early on. He avoids any potential romantic involvement with her because he thinks he's not worthy of her, since she's a goddess and he's a mortal. He treats her like someone to be respected and worshipped. He's painfully clueless to the fact that Hestia likes him as more than a subordinate.]

As for the existence of the dungeon:

spoiler[I don't recall off the top of my head the history of the dungeon (the wiki doesn't have that info and I can't recall where it's mentioned in the novels), but I do remember that it was there before the gods descended to Gekai. There used to be adventurers who would fight the monsters without a blessing as well. The building that The Guild uses for facilitating adventurer's needs in the present used to essentially be a lid for The Dungeon to keep monsters in. The building is now many, many floors tall and the highest floors are only for the gods to rent out while the lower ones are used by the Hephaistos familia to sell crafted armor and weapons. Those floors are actually open to any merchant looking to sell to adventurers, but Hephaistos seems to have them all pretty much taken since her familia is basically a gigantic crafter's union.

The Dungeon is never really expanded upon why it is able to do what it does, but it is able to "give birth" to new monsters by spawning them through the walls and it is able heal itself when damaged.]

Last edited by Goober2049 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:

I also hope that they don't do what you mentioned. It's pretty sad that they took a relatively psychopathic representation of this particular goddess and blunted her character development by keeping her on the sidelines (when in the novels she has quite a few point-of-view scenes). Thankfully, from what I've skimmed over on the wiki, it seems that we won't see her next big play until volume 6 or 7. So there's still time to develop her a little more.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
I also hope that they don't do what you mentioned. It's pretty sad that they took a relatively psychopathic representation of this particular goddess and blunted her character development by keeping her on the sidelines (when in the novels she has quite a few point-of-view scenes). Thankfully, from what I've skimmed over on the wiki, it seems that we won't see her next big play until volume 6 or 7. So there's still time to develop her a little more.
With as much as she's featured in the first two novels, I'm surprised that we're going to go that long without her doing anything significant. spoiler[She's incredibly obsessed with seeing just how strong Bell can become before he falls and she can swoop in to "save" him.]
#Zero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
CaRoss wrote:
I'm really fond of how it plays with game-like mechanics without feeling like it's dragging everything down. Especially since most of the game series (such as SAO, Log Horizon and even .hack) don't even touch upon the idea of leveling (other than it being a number beside the character's name).
I just recently read the first 2 light novels and there's a reason for leveling up to be so much more important in DanMachi:

spoiler[The current highest level adventurer is Aiz at level 6, though I can't recall if that was actually shown in the anime. The second light novel ends when Bell saves Lili from dying, so it's not terribly far into the series when she levels up either. It's also said that most adventurers are level 1. Significantly less are level 2 and anything beyond that is considered extremely rare.

Compared to other shows like the ones you mentioned, where they're playing in an MMO that has 90+ levels (in the case of SAO I don't think it even has a level cap), leveling up in DanMachi is a big deal because of what it takes for it to happen.]

The current highest level adventurer is not Aiz, spoiler[it's Ottarl, the man who trained the minotaur, level 7.]

Freya is not really a boss, she wants Bell to get strong and take him, since you read the two first books, you should know that she's fine with it even if Bell dies.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
I have read the novels, but I'm trying to keep them separate from the show in my reviews, which isn't always easy! Wink In some ways I think the anime version does a little better than the books, but the lost information on Freya, levels, and other tidbits really is frustrating. I'll be curious to see if the third (or fourth?) novel explains the whole no-gods-in-the-dungeon thing, which, as has been pointed out, really does need to be cleared up.

chex mix, I think you must be right - those guys from Magi clearly swung by and dumped a dungeon off in some random pseudo-European town on their way to the pseudo-Middle East, and at the bottom floor Aiz or Bell will find a Djinn's Metal Vessel. Laughing
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
#Zero wrote:
The current highest level adventurer is not Aiz, spoiler[it's Ottarl, the man who trained the minotaur, level 7.]
I don't recall that even being mentioned in the first two books, which is why I said that Aiz is.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
chex mix wrote:

See, the thing is, they aren't wrong. She DOES want Bell for such a shallow reason. Her scenes in the book are just as creepy, if not even creepier, than you think she is.

spoiler[She straight out admits that she caught a small glimpse of Bell's white hair and decided she had to have him. She collects men like an adventurer might collect trophies and decides who to go after on a whim. She gets off on the hunt for the next man and quickly throws them on a "shelf" when she's bored with them.

The only reason she didn't strike earlier is because she didn't know which familia Bell belonged to. As soon as she found out that he belongs to Hestia, Freya believed she could take Bell whenever she wants.]

I'd really like to have a least a short scene or two of her actually explaining these motivations IN WORDS. Like words, not moans. You can have a hypersexualized character without making them one-note and ridiculous and seemingly without comprehensible motivations. The show has failed at showing any of these things, and I'm glad to have them explained to me in a coherent manner (seriously, thank you), but ideally a show should stand on its own without requiring someone to read accompanying materials, go to its website, or ask around in online forums for clarification.

If they had no intention of making Freya a realistic character, they shouldn't have included her in this adaptation. IMO, as she is right now, and as an anime-only watcher, she actually detracts from the show's ability to express what it seems to be trying to express, which are its themes of family, friendship, teamwork, trust, and the desire to improve oneself both to protect those you care about and to be able to keep up with others. Freya has no place in this narrative as she is. I understand she is a driving force behind the events that play out in the novels, but you could just as easily have those events play out naturally, without her interference, and the show might be stronger for it. It's either that, or make her a real person. Of course, then LN readers would be bitching about the adaptation not being faithful, so there's that. Laughing It's a shame, because in general, this show has been good about allowing its women to be actual people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9