• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I'd really like to have a least a short scene or two of her actually explaining these motivations IN WORDS. Like words, not moans. You can have a hypersexualized character without making them one-note and ridiculous and seemingly without comprehensible motivations. The show has failed at showing any of these things, and I'm glad to have them explained to me in a coherent manner (seriously, thank you), but ideally a show should stand on its own without requiring someone to read accompanying materials, go to its website, or ask around in online forums for clarification.

If they had no intention of making Freya a realistic character, they shouldn't have included her in this adaptation. IMO, as she is right now, and as an anime-only watcher, she actually detracts from the show's ability to express what it seems to be trying to express, which are its themes of family, friendship, teamwork, trust, and the desire to improve oneself both to protect those you care about and to be able to keep up with others. Freya has no place in this narrative as she is. I understand she is a driving force behind the events that play out in the novels, but you could just as easily have those events play out naturally, without her interference, and the show might be stronger for it. It's either that, or make her a real person. Of course, then LN readers would be bitching about the adaptation not being faithful, so there's that. Laughing It's a shame, because in general, this show has been good about allowing its women to be actual people.

I'm sure the idea in the novels was to set her up as a test of Bell's loyalty to Hestia, Aiz, Lili and the rest of his friends, but I will agree that they don't bother to tell you anything about why she's there in the anime. I only started reading the light novels because I was curious as to how faithful the show was being. I started doing the same with SAO and some others and I've been surprised by how much it tells you about why the anime may have ended up as it did.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been thinking about picking up the SAO light novels, mainly because I'm curious as to how the first season ended up so disjointed, and how it was meant to play out (or if that actually was correct), but I keep finding other things to read (mainly classic SF, lately). That skip from Aincrad to Fairy Dance was so ridiculous I thought I'd missed an episode. Laughing I think one of these days I'm just going to sit down and slam through them all in a sitting. It's on the list. Along with shampooing the carpet where the cat peed, and clearing out my backyard for summer. And at some point finding time to have a life, maybe. Shocked

Anyways, I have another question, since you've read the LN for this -- Bell seems to go through weapons and armor at a really fast rate. Is this normal? It seems like the custom knife Hestia had made for him broke almost right off the bat, and it also seems like she should still be paying it off, but since we haven't really visited her much since, I don't know if that's been dropped or what.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I've actually been thinking about picking up the SAO light novels, mainly because I'm curious as to how the first season ended up so disjointed, and how it was meant to play out (or if that actually was correct), but I keep finding other things to read (mainly classic SF, lately). That skip from Aincrad to Fairy Dance was so ridiculous I thought I'd missed an episode. Laughing I think one of these days I'm just going to sit down and slam through them all in a sitting. It's on the list. Along with shampooing the carpet where the cat peed, and clearing out my backyard for summer. And at some point finding time to have a life, maybe. Shocked

Anyways, I have another question, since you've read the LN for this -- Bell seems to go through weapons and armor at a really fast rate. Is this normal? It seems like the custom knife Hestia had made for him broke almost right off the bat, and it also seems like she should still be paying it off, but since we haven't really visited her much since, I don't know if that's been dropped or what.

The SAO novels are pretty good, but if you've watched the anime you're gonna need the first progressive novel as well as the 2 Aincrad novels to read about everything that happens in the first half of the anime. I haven't read fairy dance novel, the second progressive novel or the GGO novels yet.

He still uses the Hestia knife and Hestia owes a ridiculous amount of money on it.

The book says she has to make 420 payments (the amount isn't mentioned) over 30 years, so she's gonna be working for Hephaistos for a while.

I know Bell has a longer sword that Lili gives him for longer range, but if he actually broke the Hestia knife he'd probably kill himself (or fall into an extreme depression) for breaking something that Hestia worked so hard to have made for him.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Hestia Knife's still going strong.

As for a list of casualties, we have:
-Bell's dignity
-Hestia's uncontested leadership in the Bell Bowl
-Many, many minor monsters
-1 Dagger
-1 Silverback
-Hestia's free time
-Loki's dignity
-Lili's savings
-Many, many tankards of ale
-Hestia's chances at an uneventful date
-1 Grimoire
-1 Soma Familia jerk
-1 Short Sword
-Bell's first set of Welf's armor
-Eina's gift
-1 of Bell's shirts
-1 Minotaur (trained)
-Several bottles of Freya's best wine
-1 Bar counter
-1 Dragon
-Many, many [s]Bell-Samas[/s] rabbits
-Many, many fire doges
-1 Anti-Monster sachet
-3 Minotaurs (not trained)
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Hestia Knife shattered against the trained minotaur? And that's why he picked up the big ass sword? Clearly I need to rewatch.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I thought the Hestia Knife shattered against the trained minotaur? And that's why he picked up the big ass sword? Clearly I need to rewatch.

The regular, "unblessed" sword gave way mid-fight, so Bell used the Hestia Knife afterwards. The Knife, like the String, cannot be broken, bend, nor follow the laws of the universe, such as physics. Razz
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well that's only until he reaches the bottom floor and gets the Metal Vessel anyways. Cool
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 is a big one. That was an extremely tense dungeoning experience. I really hope that they at some point rename the show Familia Myth, because I almost missed out on what I see as the best show this season.

Bell was using Lili`s baselard as his right handed weapon against the minotaur. The Hestia knife was in his left hand being used as a gaurd until he broke the baselard.

I really don`t mind Freya as a foreboding mystery. Also an anime only fan in general, and while her intentions are not clear I`m not sure bell knows anything much about her at all so we don`t really need clear intentions until they meet. Her actions much like the goddesses who ruined the date more make an example of how gods tended to be portrayed by the groups that are represented in the anime. Not so much a fan of these actions, but it is true to form for the finicky nature. The women from the real world are all much more fleshed out and it adds to the contrast between those who belong to the world and the strange visitors.

In the beginning of the show Hestia was talking with Bell and complaining that she can`t use her magic to help. Also when Hephaestos set to work another mention of not using magic was given. It`s been shown in many ways that the gods who appear are there as observers by some sort of mandate that they must follow. Most likely getting caught is the same as being exiled from the world. Obviously it`s possible to not be caught, because Freya is constantly bending the rules.

One quick odd thought. Maybe Freya is the dungeon. She can clearly see what is going on inside without being there, and this last episode made a big point to suggest the dungeon itsself is sentient. She might be more the real villain than it would seem.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I really hope that they at some point rename the show Familia Myth, because I almost missed out on what I see as the best show this season.

That's the funny thing about the title, it really belies the shows true nature/strengths and immediately limits the target audience. It's not hard to believe a lot of people were put off by it initially. I mean saying it out loud you can just imagine the 'eye-rolls'. Which is a real shame because it has been one of this Seasons hidden gems as far as I'm concerned.

The Minotaur fight from a few episodes back was exquisitely done and episode 10 was equally intense. I've become quite invested in the show, following the characters and their personal highs/lows. Everything has been handled well up till now and this episode didn't disappoint either. Logic would dictate otherwise but there were many moments I thought Bell and his team were legitimately screwed.

I really hope the series ends on a high note.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
One good thing about a world with magic is that they can put characters in a more screwed position. In the moment you rarely think about the idea of a show being able to heal severe wounds in a contrived way and the tension really amps up. Welf is being pretty abused just like Lili in episode 8, The fact that we have a reason for them to recover also helps to lessen the issue of them being back at full strength next episode.

The argonaut skill is really being portrayed well, and they gave Welf some very good scenes. But, I agree with Bell`s assessment, Liliruca is the most knowledgeable of the group. In episode 9 it was brought up that Welf hadn`t really made it to floor 10 I think (the one with the goblins). Liliruca has gone a lot further as a supporter and has always had survival on her mind.

Will be interesting to see the fight with (novel spoiler) spoiler[the Goliath] coming up.

[EDIT: Please be sure to use spoiler tags for events from the novels that have yet to happen in the anime. - Key]

Question on edit. I have never read the novels I`m taking that opinion from Liliruca mentioning it as probably not being spawned yet on floor 17. Seemed obvious it would be coming up.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone catch the grisaia ref? I was like 'what'? 0.0
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

I totally didn't, what was it?

Possibly I was too busy going ZOMGLOLBBQ A TITAN BWAHAHAHA IT'S THE [s]COLOSSAL[/s] GOLIATH TITAN

Also, Welf is such a boss. Bell needs a grown-up male to look up to and bond with and learn man things from and I'm so glad he found someone decent. Good for Welf for being a good dude, and good for Bell for attracting the decent type, or should I say, attracting all types but engendering their trust and loyalty through his blind faith and loyalty to them despite their failings, betrayals, and personal feelings of inadequacy and low self-worth. Maybe Welf can teach him to be a less dense harem protagonist, and he'll come back in season 2 Yuji Kazami or Katsuragi Keima style. Cool
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

I totally didn't, what was it?

Possibly I was too busy going ZOMGLOLBBQ A TITAN BWAHAHAHA IT'S THE [s]COLOSSAL[/s] GOLIATH TITAN

Also, Welf is such a boss. Bell needs a grown-up male to look up to and bond with and learn man things from and I'm so glad he found someone decent. Good for Welf for being a good dude, and good for Bell for attracting the decent type, or should I say, attracting all types but engendering their trust and loyalty through his blind faith and loyalty to them despite their failings, betrayals, and personal feelings of inadequacy and low self-worth. Maybe Welf can teach him to be a less dense harem protagonist, and he'll come back in season 2 Yuji Kazami or Katsuragi Keima style. Cool

I don't think it was intended as a true Ref but

Grisaia has 3 games the Grisaia Kaijitsu, the Grisaia Rakuen and the Grisaia Meikyuu.

the floor name is Labyrinth Utopia - Rakuen no Mekyuuu (or something along those lines...) and when i was wtf when i heard that xD

Probabli not a true ref but was funny all the same.
The floor is called
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
^It's weird, but I remember thinking about a Grisaia reference too, but it wasn't the title. Can't remember what triggered it. :/

So...they're waiting until the Loki troop take out the Goliath. How did Hestia & Co. get past it without taking it out? I guess they just didn't want to leave at night. Smile

Also, agreed that they dropped the ball on the gods-in-dungeons thing. The way they've handled it makes it seem like a drama point someone threw in for the hell of it, with no thought to it before or since.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Concerning episode 12:

Yeah, there were a couple of different times that interesting things were going on in the background, but Aiz's moment was definitely the best of that lot. She's somehow becoming quite the character without actually showing much character.

And add Hestia's power release to the other great stuff going on in this episode, too. Seeing what the consequences of that are going to be, and whether or not that has something to do with the restriction on gods and goddesses entering the Dungeon, will be interesting, too.

Based on CR user ratings, this is the most popular new series of the season on Crunchyroll, and by a fair margin. I will be very surprised if this isn't also doing well enough in Japan to warrant an eventual second season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9