• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to be optimist about the anime not going overboard with the sexuality and keeping more in the fun part like the manga, but I'm begining to think that it'll stay this way, and that this will break this anime for most of the viewers who are not manga fans.
It saddens me so much, because I get the feeling I won't be able to truly recommend this anime to any friend.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the advantage for the manga is that the "foodgasms" only last for a page so they're just there for a brief flash to show how incredible & overwhelming the taste is before returning to the story. Whereas with the anime they're a lot more "there" if that makes sense.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said in the Preview Guide when I hadn't tried to make my point in over ten different posts because the more I think about it, the more grossed out I am:

I usually love a story of an underestimated hero who bedazzles the world with his amazingness. My problem with this was that it had such a sexual framing my mind kept going straight to "Look at this cool bro making this bitch subjugate through the power of his manly sexuality". It felt hateful and nasty towards the girl involved

^See, I wrote that when I had forgotten about the assault cherubins scene, 'coz now all I can think about when I try to figure what this show is trying to tell me "haughty bitches who think they're better than you deserve to be force-sexed into submission."

So where is any forcing happening? He's not subjugating her at all, he is doing nothing to her, no drugs, no rape, no hypnosis, no assault, NOTHING. I do not understand your thought process. Her fantasy scenario is entirely in her own mind, it is a visualization of her enjoying his food but not wanting to attribute that pleasure to having been caused by anything associated with him, i.e. his cooking.

If you have a problem with the artist Tosh and subsequently JC Staff for depicting this fantasy scene in a manner which implies that Erina *thinks* she is being "subjugated" by Souma, well, so be it, your tastes are your own. However, you are falsely interpreting what is going on in a scene then using that false basis to label the show as, I'm not sure what exactly, misogynist? Sexually abusive? Anti-feminism?

CallumKeyblade wrote:
I think the advantage for the manga is that the "foodgasms" only last for a page so they're just there for a brief flash to show how incredible & overwhelming the taste is before returning to the story. Whereas with the anime they're a lot more "there" if that makes sense.

I definitely agree here. Although I put more of the blame on JC Staff for making them last that long; they could easily spend less time on them, but they're not, so /shrug.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
^I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said in the Preview Guide when I hadn't tried to make my point in over ten different posts because the more I think about it, the more grossed out I am:

I usually love a story of an underestimated hero who bedazzles the world with his amazingness. My problem with this was that it had such a sexual framing my mind kept going straight to "Look at this cool bro making this bitch subjugate through the power of his manly sexuality". It felt hateful and nasty towards the girl involved

^See, I wrote that when I had forgotten about the assault cherubins scene, 'coz now all I can think about when I try to figure what this show is trying to tell me "haughty bitches who think they're better than you deserve to be force-sexed into submission."

So where is any forcing happening? He's not subjugating her at all, he is doing nothing to her, no drugs, no rape, no hypnosis, no assault, NOTHING. I do not understand your thought process. Her fantasy scenario is entirely in her own mind, it is a visualization of her enjoying his food but not wanting to attribute that pleasure to having been caused by anything associated with him, i.e. his cooking.

If you have a problem with the artist Tosh and subsequently JC Staff for depicting this fantasy scene in a manner which implies that Erina *thinks* she is being "subjugated" by Souma, well, so be it, your tastes are your own. However, you are falsely interpreting what is going on in a scene then using that false basis to label the show as, I'm not sure what exactly, misogynist? Sexually abusive? Anti-feminism?

No one is "falsely interpreting" anything. The subtext isn't exactly subtle in this regard. The fact is that even though Soma isn't technically "forcing" Erina to do anything and even though the "real" situation isn't really sexual at all, the whole thing is still FRAMED as Soma making Erina experience an intimate and pleasurable situation and her enjoying it against her will.

I KNOW this is just a visual representation of her reluctance to admit being wrong, and I have even commended the show for at least being clever in how it handles fanservice this way, but this particular fanservice is still creepy as hell when you think about it. The scene of Soma proving Erina wrong by giving her a delicious dish is presented AS IF he was forcing her into submission (making her admit she was wrong) through his ability to bring women to orgasm (making delicious food). The metaphors are pretty damn blatant in this regard. Whether or not that is ACTUALLY what happens within the context of the show is irrelevant, because it is damn clear that the show wants you to THINK about it that way.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
sospokemisery wrote:

From what I've seen on forums the foodgasm scenes apparently become less frequent or less over the top (can't remember which). It's better in the manga, as I saw someone else say, because it's usually just 1-3 pages of foodgasming, not like a whole minute or two. I like the foodgasms, but they should be over and done with quicker.

It becomes less sexual I guess, it seems to expand beyond the first few straight up foodgasms, think more like Erina's "I was in a bath with a Gorilla", that's more the kind of thing - one I can remember is all the characters, including the male one, dress up as teenage girls and go to an amusment part in this fantasy.

SO it's not less over the top and the sexual under/overtones are still there but that's been common in food shows for a while, in both the west and east!

As for the rapeyness...I mean do you not find it funny? It's food - FOOD, it's not like they're being constrained and drugged. They are literally just eating food which they may not want to admit is better than their own -or may just be enjoying it. There are pleanty of female characters that 'revel' in the pleasure as the series goes on, obviously the arrogant ones are never going to want to lose themselves to it.
Realquick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
This is a lot of unnecessary talk and complaints just for foodgasms
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this show, i read a bit of the manga and saw it was a lot like yakitate japan so figured it'd be a hit with me and so far im not disappointed. Agree with CallumKeyblade that the foodgasms are less drawn out in the manga but its all just imaginary imagery about reacting to the food in an animated tv show so try to bear that in mind.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
The only reason the foodgasms feel downplayed in the manga is because, well, it's a manga. Adding voices and animation would obviously make them more noticeable.

The foodgasms are severely lengthened in the anime than in the manga. The anime ones can be about a minute or so, whereas the manga's foodgasms are most commonly one panel. They tend to take up half of a page to a full page, but they're still just a panel. (Not including the transitional panels, like the ones where their clothes are exploding off of their bodies.)

The other thing, of course, is that in the manga, you can choose to take the foodgasms at your own pace, whereas the anime will set the pace for you. When I read the manga, I just look at the foodgasm for a second and move on, though I don't know if that's the most popular way to approach them or not.
KnaveHeart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:

Well-said. I'm also in the "it's over the top" corner on this issue. And the only reason why this is an "issue" at all is because the anime has put into question what Shokugeki no Soma is about. Is it about the food, or the foodgasms?

For the manga, I think it's clear that it's more about the food. As quoted above, the foodgasms were brief, and didn't derail or distract the reader from the food itself. In the anime...you see a pair of girl legs, a squiggling squid tentacle wiggling in between them, and it kind of shocks you out of the moment. It went from being funny to just...disturbing, and it's the thing you remember most at the end of the episode, not the food.

There is a line between being outlandishly funny and cringeworthy perversion, and the Shokugeki no Soma anime crossed it at least a couple of times. Hopefully, in future episodes, this will rectify itself. If not, then I feel bad for the author who has to watch his manga go from tasteful to tasteless.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
Yeah, I dropped this after the tentacle scene. He did that to his friend. Ugh. Forget it.

(It would have been wrong to do it to anyone, but really, his friend? What kind of monster is he?)

I think I'm going to watch something more wholesome like Punch Line or High School DxD.

Woah, woah, woah. Wait, WHAT? Ok, you know what, if you're going to drop this just for a reason like that, go. Go get your male characters who bleed at the panties of girls. Go get your dose of borderline hentai in a show with explicit nudity and and implied sex. Are you saying that when they fought that spoiler[boob-sucking] monster in Highschool DxD it was not distasteful? I don't know about you, but being spoiler[forcefully tangled and having your boobs sucked dry by a monster ] is much more disturbing than what is happening in the mind of someone tasting food. Do you not get the scene? How was he to know that whoever ate it would feel like being groped by a squid? All he wanted to do was have her sample a dish he made. He knew it was bad, but what is wrong with having your friends taste your dishes? He isn't a "monster," he's just a cook who was angry in the moment of being beat by his dad. If you're going to drop a show, at least find a better reason for it. Heck, if you said, "This isn't my cup of tea, I'm skipping this," it would have been completely understandable.

Woo, finally got some steam out. Let's talk about the first two episodes. I really like the series so far, though I do agree that in some places it seems like they had some problems. Not a big fan of the opening and ending, but the soundtracks weren't bad at all. After watching episode 2, I guess you could say Erina was, "salty".

Maybe it's because I've been following the manga and that I've seen some disturbing things myself, but the foodgasms don't really affect me that much. After all, they are images conjured up by people who eat good food. I don't feel that this is stereotyping anything. Souma's friend did not choose to eat the squid, so of course she would seem unwilling. The same goes for the business woman and Erina who both were snobby and refused to bow down to Soma.

Shokugeki no Soma is off to a shaky start, but I'm hopeful that they can turn this around (hopefully). After all, not everyone is well adjusted to its fanservice elements.
StfuSleepySteve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
It's like a minute or two of fanservice, people should anticipate this while watching. Subtracting points from it because it has a minute of foodgasms is like giving Sherlock Holmes a low score because there's too much mystery and not enough character development.

"It's like rape."
Rolling Eyes [/quote]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Real-estate Lady and Nakiri Erina tried the food under the determination of "I'm not going to enjoy this meal; I will say it was disgusting, thus I'll win the bet", so their illusions/mental image of the feeling they got for the food was "harsher" (if you will), because they did liked it, but since it was against their interest, both couldn't admit it. Tadokoro Megumi's mental image was lighter because the fact that she didn't eat the food while holding to some pre-established opinion, nor she had any repercussions if she gave a "tasty" or "disgusting" response.

Clear as day.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I knew where I was getting into, so I can't complain too much about the fan-service. But hey, I prefer a 1 or 2 minute food-gasm than a whole episode full of boobs shots and male gaze camera.

I'm really happy there was less fan-service in ep 3, and as I've heard people saying that it gets better later on, then this might turn in one of my favourites of the season, not the best, but a favourite. If not, well, I can still read the manga.

I also hope that Megumi gets more development, because although she's cute, she is also kind of annoying right now.
Irru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the complaint about the cockiness. Erina has been a genius since birth, so her attitude is completely justified. As for the rest of the student body, even being a high school student of Tootsuki is amazing in and of itself, so it's no wonder they're all underestimating Souma.

As for Souma, that's just him being him I suppose.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I also hope that Megumi gets more development, because although she's cute, she is also kind of annoying right now.

I don't want to give spoilers, but it's surprising how much development Megumi gets later on. Seeing her slowly get more and more confident on herself is one of the best parts of the manga imo.

Anyway, I liked this episode. I also prefer 1-2 minutes of foodgasms over a full-on ecchi show. And yeah, there are some people that are going waaaaay overboard with their assumptions of the show... like, I understand you don't like foodgasms, but saying outright that they are akin to "rape" is, well... let's just say I'd happily open the door out of this show for them, and close it so that they never come back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19