• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad that we actually have some good people watching this.
chito895 wrote:
I also hope that Megumi gets more development, because although she's cute, she is also kind of annoying right now.

I've been following the manga for a long time, and I'm telling you that if the anime continues to faithfully adapt then she will have a lot more development in the future. You will grow to like her.
Quote:
Real-estate Lady and Nakiri Erina tried the food under the determination of "I'm not going to enjoy this meal; I will say it was disgusting, thus I'll win the bet", so their illusions/mental image of the feeling they got for the food was "harsher" (if you will), because they did liked it, but since it was against their interest, both couldn't admit it. Tadokoro Megumi's mental image was lighter because the fact that she didn't eat the food while holding to some pre-established opinion, nor she had any repercussions if she gave a "tasty" or "disgusting" response.

Thumbs up. +1
Quote:
I knew where I was getting into, so I can't complain too much about the fan-service. But hey, I prefer a 1 or 2 minute food-gasm than a whole episode full of boobs shots and male gaze camera.

Exactly my mentality on this. I can't believe someone would drop this and go watch Highschool DxD just because there was 30 seconds of fanservice.
Quote:
I don't get the complaint about the cockiness. Erina has been a genius since birth, so her attitude is completely justified. As for the rest of the student body, even being a high school student of Tootsuki is amazing in and of itself, so it's no wonder they're all underestimating Souma.

I don't think people are exactly complaining about her cockiness, they just don't like it. I mean, even if her cockiness was justified by her birth and abilities, she still treats everyone around her like dogs.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
One thing I also dislike about Erina is that she did a poor job as a judge and examiner. She failed Souma's entrance exam because she hates Souma and his low social status , when he actually met the passing condition.
Unfair judgements really annoy me. She was there to judge his food, not his personality and/or social status, so in that regard she did a terrible job

Last edited by bassgs435 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

I don't think people are exactly complaining about her cockiness, they just don't like it. I mean, even if her cockiness was justified by her birth and abilities, she still treats everyone around her like dogs.

Pretty much. I know I personally find that trait way more annoying than many people do, but basically, that's my main issue: justified pride or not, there's no reason to treat other people like scum. And if you think about it, being secure in her own abilities actually could give her less of a reason to be a jerk to everyone - if she's so certain no one can touch her, why the need to take others down?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
One thing I also dislike about Erina is that she did a poor job as a judge and examiner. She failed Souma's entrance exam because she hates Souma and his low social status , when he actually met the passing condition.
Unfair judgements really annoy me. She was there to judge his food, not his personality and/or social status, so in that regard she did a terrible job

Well, that's why she is an antagonist. You're supposed to dislike her and her ideas on how Totsuki should be, you're supposed to feel like she ought to be cut down to size, and you're supposed to feel good when Soma or anyone else takes her down a notch.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
How can some people not get that the tentacles are used for comedy factor here... I mean, I'm all for less fanservice, but that would take away a lot of the effect of foodgasms. Would you rather have someone squirming in their chair like they have to go to the restroom or have them show in full color what they are feeling? It's there to remind the audience that Soma's cooking isn't all high and mighty, he tries his hands at lesser and (unfortunately) more disgusting foods. Failures you could say. I don't see why people are so hung up on the sexual connotations. Come on, its fanservice. What is there to think about? If I were to drop an anime for every time there was implied rape or sex in Highschool DxD, then I would probably have no more anime to watch for the rest of my life.

Episode itself was pretty good, though there were some segments where I wasn't liking the art style a lot. If I recall, next episode should be the introduction of spoiler[the Polar Star Dorm and it's inhabitants!]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know that it will be a 2-cour show. That should give the show a good pacing.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I think one thing anime needs to improve upon is its use of "down time". I see that kind of dorm sequence quite often. Main character meets misfits, each introduces him/herself, get drunk, start singing something, have some quarreling, etc. I'm assuming the viewer is supposed to get some feeling of warmness or content seeing the characters get along, but I never do. I just feel like the sequence is poorly done and I never get a feeling of satisfaction seeing the characters get along.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I think one thing anime needs to improve upon is its use of "down time". I see that kind of dorm sequence quite often. Main character meets misfits, each introduces him/herself, get drunk, start singing something, have some quarreling, etc. I'm assuming the viewer is supposed to get some feeling of warmness or content seeing the characters get along, but I never do. I just feel like the sequence is poorly done and I never get a feeling of satisfaction seeing the characters get along.

While I remember it being executed a little better in the manga, the benefit is that as the series goes further, the fanservice becomes less and less, while the plot and character development goes much further. It's still silly at times but overall it's just an enjoyable ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
niknasr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
I hope there's a change in reviewer for this anime.. I don't think he/she really understand the meaning of an 'ecchi' genre tag in anime, First of all, there is a reason why that tag is put there, I have watch many ecchi anime and this one quite light compared with others, if this much is bothering you, you should keep away from anime with that tag in the first place..

Second, the Erina-hate comment is really unprofessional in a review like (this episode is better because it's Erina-free.....), if you really want to hate someone, why don't you hate the adults who put her (16 yo, mind you) as an examiner? Also, if you look at Soma's shoddy background, of course someone will be in doubt as to accept him in whether he is good or not especially when it's an elite school with a 10% graduation rate per year, when he almost doesn't have knowledge of upper echelon of cooking industry, remind you again this is an elite school with the purpose to raise the elites in cooking world who cater to the tongue of a big shot worldwide..
if you ask: Megumi also from countryside, but why is she okay? Well, she supposedly already learn the basics of the cooking industry in middle school while Soma only entered in high school and one of the example of his lacking in knowledge in this field is where he didn't even know the name of the french cuisine in second ep and that already explain so much about his ignorant in this field.. Erina's personality is a typical ojou-sama which is a common trope in anime, and I think this is actually lie your true problem with her, in this case, I can say no more because it is a problem with 'taste' but you should keep your taste to yourself..

The absurdity of foodgasm in this anime is what make this totally shine, and one of the selling point of the manga and make it a shounen, and it seems like you cannot acknowledge it which is a contradictory with what the anime try to present itself.. You should try a seinen cooking manga and maybe that will cater to your taste more..
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Who is the reviewer on Anime News Network who's closer to your interests?

(I think, looking at the response in this topic though, your opinions are more the minority here.)
niknasr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I don't have any preference in terms of reviewer, instead I reserve my judgement after they review that particular anime, and in this particular case, it seems bias (regarding Erina and ecchi foodagasm scene) is already established during the first review which is a downer particularly for me especially when I think he/she already read the source (manga for example) and brought out to light his/her dissatisfaction towards these two points above.. Of course, I'm actually satisfied with some of the comments in this forum that actually explained about the tentacles thing which I'm really grateful with..

On the contrary, Erina doesn't get all that much "back-up" comments from others and although I also felt it cannot be help with her attitude (this partially adults' fault because they always bow to her and I doubt this didn't get into her head), but I actually can rationalize why she had done what she did when Soma with his prideful attitude and tried to provoke her (the examiner) when she pretty much already "submit" towards his food and some of the points that I mention above..

Well, sorry for the long text but that basically summarise my answer to your question..

p.s: Btw, I quiet enjoyed Kekkai Sensen, DxD, and Oregairu's reviews and all of it have different reviewer if I'm not mistaken..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
niknasr wrote:
I hope there's a change in reviewer for this anime..

Why do you need to have your own views parroted back to you? Why not just give reasons why you disagree with what was said (which you did very well) without attacking the reviewer?

There are going to be people who dislike some aspects of any series, so just look at having a reviewer voice some of those objections as an opportunity for you to provide a counterpoint and tell us what you like about it and why.

I for one am pleased that they toned down the orgasmic responses this time. I also like how they draw Soma. While he reminds me a lot of Ueki (Law of Ueki), he's much more pleasant to look at, which helps offset his abrasive personality. I also totally agree with Rebecca about the pasted-on look of Erina's boobs. And now that Isshiki is on the scene, I get to listen to Takahiro Sakurai more often, so that can't be bad. Smile
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought the scene where Erina rejects Soma was funny (and it was presented as being funny). I don't even hate Erina for it because the way she said "it's bad!" was hilarious and cute (and Soma got in anyway).
That's not to say I really like Erina as a person. spoiler[Though she does get better later on (but just a little and really progressively, since she doesn't have that much screentime).] But I don't understand why people take off points from a show because they don't like a character they aren't supposed to like (at least at first).

Also, of course there's no mention of Isshiki being pretty much walking fanservice (only described as "interesting" in #4's review).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
i don't know why people would hate Erina. All her scenes are "presented as being funny" so far and her chibi mode. She is clear a tsundere.
Yause

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i don't know why people would hate Erina. All her scenes are "presented as being funny" so far and her chibi mode. She is clear a tsundere.

There's a tendency to compare these things to real life behavior (which probably comes from our emphasis on making entertainment that is "realistic"). This is all played up for laughs, but it doesn't stop some viewers from pulling up a checklist to diagnose a personality disorder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19