• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I need some dang cliffnotes just to get through the first episode... I felt it was damn good looking and has lot of potential but the first episode was all over the place... If i knew more of the source material i could appreciate it at a far greater level.

I'm going to still watch it but still :
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bobob101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
There's a lot to love here. It is so stylish it almost hurts. There are non japanese pop culture references. It almost looks like NYC. Characters seem pretty like able. I can't wait for more
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope this series gives Yasuhiro Nightow more of the recognition I feel he deserves. I agree with this review in every way, although I still say there was nothing wrong with Nightow's fight choreography in Trigun.

The only thing the first ep didn't need was the little flashback to "a few moments before". Otherwise I thought it was perfect. The 2nd episode is the true character intro episode and does a great job, especially of gving us a taste of what Leonardo's eyes can do. And those eyes are animated just as beautifully as I'd hoped they would be. Kudos to the....visuals. Smile
Keltian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I’m really enjoying this show, however, as a New Yorker, there are inconsistencies with the setting of the story that bug me a bit. In the beginning of episode 2 they explain that the barrier covers the entire city and the only way in and out is through the only remaining bridge. There are some problems with that description. NYC is a series of islands with the exception of The Bronx and are interconnected by tunnels and bridges. If they are trying to explain that there is only one remaining bridge connecting to the mainland, probably the George Washington Bridge, what about The Bronx which is part of the mainland. Also, are they saying NYC when they really only mean Manhattan since that’s all they show?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Keltian wrote:
I’m really enjoying this show, however, as a New Yorker, there are inconsistencies with the setting of the story that bug me a bit. In the beginning of episode 2 they explain that the barrier covers the entire city and the only way in and out is through the only remaining bridge. There are some problems with that description. NYC is a series of islands with the exception of The Bronx and are interconnected by tunnels and bridges. If they are trying to explain that there is only one remaining bridge connecting to the mainland, probably the George Washington Bridge, what about The Bronx which is part of the mainland. Also, are they saying NYC when they really only mean Manhattan since that’s all they show?

Yeah that occurred to me too. I think they do in fact only mean Manhattan, and it just hasn't come up because it's easier for Japanese viewers to see it as "New York City" in general, but geographically, it's easy to assume that the portal only affects Manhattan, also easy to assume when you see the tentacle-shot of the portal first opening and the area it covers. So that's my best guess? But I dunno.

It's kind of like when we see anime taking place in Tokyo, and we describe them as taking place in Tokyo, but it's usually taking place in a specific district of Tokyo, like Akihabara or Shibuya or Ikebukuro. Usually we ignore that and just say "eh Tokyo," unless the show is REALLY explicit about it, like Durarara. So it's like that in reverse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ulchenko is better at Prosfair than Klaus, beating him handily in the online version of the game,

Unless I missed something (and with this series I easily could have!), that wasn't Ulchenko Klaus was playing online. It was some old, bald guy named Yamakawa (weirdly, it feels like we've seen him before this, but I dunno when it would have been).

I loved that he was playing on an old Mac SE. Very Happy I was also fascinated by all the little details in Leonardo's room during his eviction. This is definitely a series I watch with my finger on the rewind and pause buttons.
HolyR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Christ there's some good shots in this. Like this episode, about 9 minutes in: they're walking down the hall and it's flipped 90 degrees and then one of the pillars wipes to the shot of them standing at the big door. Good god.

I mean, I think this is the first anime where I remember specific uses of the camera after I've watched an episode.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Ulchenko is better at Prosfair than Klaus, beating him handily in the online version of the game,

Unless I missed something (and with this series I easily could have!), that wasn't Ulchenko Klaus was playing online. It was some old, bald guy named Yamakawa (weirdly, it feels like we've seen him before this, but I dunno when it would have been).

Ah, okay. I will fix that then.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I would be happy with more episodic adventures and character vignettes at this excellent level of quality

I agree that this would be nice, but going by the number of JP volumes, BBB is going to be only one cour. I would like to see some closure at the end of it because I am not convinced that BBB will be a hit in Japan to guarantee more seasons.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Looked back at it and realized where I got the idea that Ulchenko was so much better than Klaus at Prosfair: Klaus recognizes him as the INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTER OF THE GAME, so yeah I'd say he's more skilled than Klaus, even though he wasn't the one playing against him on the computer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
^ I'm pretty sure he's the international Grandmaster at chess, not Prosfair. Smile He thought to himself that he'd studied the game enough to prepare (which to me doesn't sound like the thoughts of a Grandmaster of the game itself), and K.K. assures Klaus he'll be fine because he's a chessmaster, not because he's a Prosfair master.

But I don't think you're wrong in thinking he's more skilled than Klaus (or any other human), or that Klaus also thinks so. It's just that he didn't have the mental and physical endurance to survive the kind of game the Don was offering, and wasn't as prepared going in as he thought he was.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:

I loved that he was playing on an old Mac SE. Very Happy I was also fascinated by all the little details in Leonardo's room during his eviction. This is definitely a series I watch with my finger on the rewind and pause buttons.

I thought it was supposed to be obvious that Mr. Yamakawa is Don Arlelelle himself? Especially the shot that showed Klaus writing email to him.

Thank you for pointing to the details in Leo's room, I didn't catch that.

Also, could anyone tell me why is it that the apartment Leo was in looked as if it had been sliced apart?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
I thought it was supposed to be obvious that Mr. Yamakawa is Don Arlelelle himself? Especially the shot that showed Klaus writing email to him.

If that's the case, then that would be what I missed! Smile

Edit: Found what you were talking about, and to me it looks like it was Yamakawa thanking Klaus (for taking care of the Angel Scale?). If it had been Klaus writing it, wouldn't he have used his Mac? The writer was using a black laptop, and was human, so I don't think it was the Don. I could be wrong though!

Quote:
Also, could anyone tell me why is it that the apartment Leo was in looked as if it had been sliced apart?

Because it had been. I think that huge monster (an idol? I think that's what Leonard called it?) did it as the start of renovating the building into a luxury hotel.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad you got this series to review, Hope. I will be looking forward to these episode reviews every week.

As for your Trigun obsession, let's face it, you could probably do a weekly show just about that for years and years(I saw your excellent Trigun: Inbetweens series). I would only ask that you consider an occasional guest host who can match your love for Trigun *cough* me *cough* . Very Happy

Onward to BBB episode 4!
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 - A+

Seriously, how is this show this good? This show has been so much fun to watch every week, and I'm hoping it never slows down. I heard a lot of people saying this episode was boring, and I can kinda see where they're coming from, but I can't say I was bore through this episode. The beautiful imagery courtesy of Matsumoto's directing (She's quickly becoming my favourite director after this an Kyousougiga). It's a shame this show probably won't do well, because I need another season of this, I can't live with just one season. Hope we get a Chain episode soon.

P.S. You need to do a Set List on this show when it finishes. The soundtrack is way too good to not have one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13