• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Kuroko the Best Stalker wrote:
Getting some Attack on Titan vibes from the first 2 episodes.
- People as livestock
- Fighting for humanity
- Done by the same team who did AoT

My friend who told me about this show described it as a mix between AoT and Blue Exorcistt actually, lol. When he added the fujoshi bait potential, it definitely made me wanna watch it. X'D

Your friend just watched ForneverWorld's video on youtube and decide to call it that, because that's exactly what fornever said...that is all.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
^Because ForneverWorld (whoever that is) is the only person alive with the kind of wit and insight required to notice the similarities between those shows, and there's no way anyone else could've come up with such conclusion on their own, correct?

It's worth mentioning that OnS is the same type of "exploiting every possible genre cliché but doing it right" series as AoEx. It's just not half as clever about it, but it's still a pretty neat show.

My only gripe with the series so far is just how clumsy and awkward it is when it comes to delivering exposition. The amount of "as you may probably know" and "I'm gonna explain your character motivations to you in case you forgot them" moments is really making me slam my face on the desk. There's got to be a better way to fill-in your audience without resorting to this sort of unnatural dialogues

Best girl Shinoa, though, that sassy bitch is saving this anime, she's awesome.
Xenire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
There have been arguments supporting whether this series is seinen or not, but I do agree it does lean more towards shounen. Although I was prepared for shounen tropes, this show has been so generic that I've been feeling a lot of backlash from my overhype for this show.

As I pointed out in my post on page 4, it can't actually be argued. It's like stating all the seinen aspects of Attack on Titan (there are a good number), but in the end it doesn't matter because it is published for the shounen demographic originally.

Keep in mind that shounen and seinen are target demographics and not genres despite the fact they have trends and commonalities. Sadly, shounen tends to come with a lot of baggage that isn't optimal for a more mature audience.
B00m23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ok, what I don't get is:
didn't the virus whipe out everyone over a certain age, or was that just a lie made by the vampires? Is the disease completely gone now, now that people are able to live semi-peacefully? And what are demons in this world? Are they just the standard denizens of hell, or are they something else?
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
Ok, what I don't get is:
didn't the virus whipe out everyone over a certain age, or was that just a lie made by the vampires? Is the disease completely gone now, now that people are able to live semi-peacefully? And what are demons in this world? Are they just the standard denizens of hell, or are they something else?

That's what they believed but it turns out there were survivors (more of that gets explained later). It seems to be gone for the most part, although they are still looking into why Kimizuki's contracted it (and she was under 13 when she did). People can only live peacefully inside the safe zones. As shown in episode 4, not everyone is in those zones and they rely on the vampires to protect them (once again more of that revealed later).
As for the demons, they should be explained later as well. Smile
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Your friend just watched ForneverWorld's video on youtube and decide to call it that, because that's exactly what fornever said...that is all.

Uh I doubt it? As CrowLia pointed out, I've actually seen several people describe it that way. Along with some other comparisons. I'm quite sure my friend used those shows because he knows I really liked them. He also added "there's also fujoshi bait" and "one kid was basically prostituting himself to the vampires" (though he neglected to tell me they were children at the time...).
B00m23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
Ok, what I don't get is:

That's what they believed but it turns out there were survivors (more of that gets explained later). It seems to be gone for the most part, although they are still looking into why Kimizuki's contracted it (and she was under 13 when she did). People can only live peacefully inside the safe zones. As shown in episode 4, not everyone is in those zones and they rely on the vampires to protect them (once again more of that revealed later).
As for the demons, they should be explained later as well. Smile

Ah, thanks. I'll just keep watching then.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow this was sure as hell not a B+. First of all next to nothing new was established and the episode was stuffed with cliche dialogue yet again. Too much time was wasted repeating their usual quirks and the re-stating of motivations. The choppy animation didn't help either.

I have to disagree and say that this series is VERY boring at this point. It's not even diversifying the ways in which it's bad. That coupled with dreadful pacing the show is a drag.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It's Hiiragi, not Hisagi.

While I don't find the series itself boring, I have to agree with the comment above that it felt like nothing happened in this episode. I was actually expecting them to be at least halfway done with black demon series weapon test by the end, but I guess they decided to push it all into the next ep and instead add an original scene with Mika (not that I mind, I actually really liked it and his extra screen time Anime smile). Still, now I'm even less sure as to where they plan to end the first season.

spoiler[Everything you wrote about the Imperial Army and the Hiragi's...hold onto those thoughts xD]

Last edited by Miyanoai on Mon May 04, 2015 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Even though this episode wasn't as "action packed" as the previous four, I don't think that the pacing was unreasonable. I never really felt bored, or thought the show was wasting my time.

In episode one, we saw how Yū and his Mika acted towards one another. That was how he acted towards his "brother", and now we're beginning to see him act that way towards the other two soldier boys. I'm just going to assume the show is trying to go for a "band of brothers"/"the army is your family now, son" type of thing.

I would have never known that Shihō was an honor student, that Guren bucked authority (I previously assumed that his callous disrespect was part of his teaching style, rather than something he also directed towards his superiors), that Shinoa was some kind of tomboy princess (although it makes perfect sense, now that I think about it), or that Yoichi was mentally resilient. I also really enjoyed the Mika scenes, because they made him feel more like a character, and less like a plot point.

(Good job, WIT Studios, I'm pretty sure I now know way more about these boys than I ever did about any of The Rolling Girls.)

The bit about how the vampires teach their human charges Latin and English instead of Japanese was interesting, both in that it implies they bother to teach the humans anything, and also because it implies that the vampires aren't originally Japanese. (If they use Latin, then presumably they have European origins?)

Both the world and the characters are beginning to feel a bit more substantial than they would have if this episode was just another trip back to the demon summoning room with characters we hardly know anything about.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it also doesn't fall into most anime's usual pratfalls.

Did you mean "pitfalls" or was that a reference to the ridiculous squabbling between Yuichiro and Shihou (or that whole classroom scene)? I couldn't believe how long they made it go on, and how it just kept getting more and more stupid.

But I guess I'm not hating it yet. I think my main complaint against this series right now is the character names. Having main characters named Yuichiro and Yoichi, and Shihou and Shinoa just seems ill-advised to me, even in Japanese. It seems like having English characters named Mike and Mickey and Carl and Carol. Sure, you can do it, but it's annoying.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

But I guess I'm not hating it yet. I think my main complaint against this series right now is the character names. Having main characters named Yuichiro and Yoichi, and Shihou and Shinoa just seems ill-advised to me, even in Japanese. It seems like having English characters named Mike and Mickey and Carl and Carol. Sure, you can do it, but it's annoying.

At least it isn't as bad as My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU this season. Hayato and Haruno, Yumiko and Yukino, Saika and Saki, Yuigahama and Yukinoshita... and at least half of these pairs are involved in love triangles.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder how the Hiiragi family came into being? I mean, the Vampire Apocalypse only started eight years ago. They must have been planning ahead to have a dynasty with branches.

The LN prequel to Seraph explains this in more detail.
spoiler[The Hiiragis existed way before the Apocalypse, being the most powerful magical family in Japan with multiple branch families under their command; the Ichinoses were one such branch family. (Magic exists in Seraph's universe, BTW).
The Hiiragis were depicted as being extremely power-hungry, arrogant and ambitious, willing to do anything to increase their magical arts and status in society.]
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Wow this was sure as hell not a B+. First of all next to nothing new was established and the episode was stuffed with cliche dialogue yet again. Too much time was wasted repeating their usual quirks and the re-stating of motivations. The choppy animation didn't help either.

I have to disagree and say that this series is VERY boring at this point. It's not even diversifying the ways in which it's bad. That coupled with dreadful pacing the show is a drag.
This is pretty much how I feel about this show so far. I personally think the pacing is dreadful. We're 5 episodes in and honestly it still feels like a long drawn-out prologue.
Not a fan of the setting either and the characters are pretty boring so far. I just wish something interesting would happen because I do like the art and animation which is probably what kinda keeps me watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I love how Yu keeps getting his ass kicked whenever he does something crazy in a fit of rage Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17