• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a viewer, I was too distracted by the weird designs for Elam's wound to upset me that much.

I wasn't so much distracted by his face as by the Gintama moment before it that felt like it should have been pixelated. Fresh blood does not have the consistency of pudding, and the second thought that flashed through my head was that Etoile had cut out half his liver and dropped it on the floor.

Anime has always had this problem (though I think maybe Gangsta. is doing a pretty good job of showing blood splatter), but this looked like crap. Literally.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #24:

Arslan acted kinda like a snob there at the beginning of the episode, with him walking towards Étoile without him weapon drawn -- despite Lusitania's troops' clear intentions of going after Pars' general -- and basically saying "yeah, I'm Arslan. Whacha gonna do 'bout it?" And then acting surprised when said Lusitania soldiers start swinging their swords (and injuring Elam). That was a facepalm moment for me.

Secondly, despite the amount of clothing she wears, it is good to see that Farangis' Plot Armor is still intact and working Laughing

While the TV show, as a whole, has followed the same path the OVAs did (well, they are based on the same source material after all), I don't think that the end point will be the same. Unless the last episode will rush through the whole events that happened, that is. I'm really hoping that a 2nd season will be greenlit.

that will depend on how popular it is. its definitely not attack of titan or seraph of the end, but its still a decent fantasy based anime series like moribito. unfortunately like moribito,its kinda slow paced at times.

as for a green light for a second season. fat chance of that happening if its viewership ratings are the same.

Afraid that this anime series will end up just like claymore (where it will have a decent conclusion to the series but you'll have to read the manga to continue with the storyline). and considering elam's injuries and the apparent confrontation with arslan and etolie, its possible they might end via anime based and not based of the original source materials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Rose Bridges wrote:
At the very least, this episode makes it clear that Arslan has won his kingdom back.
[. . .]
Pars has fallen to Arslan
[. . .]
The second moment comes when the Parsians re-invade Ecbatana.

Ahah! Now I understand why your review wasn't making any sense at all up to that point.

Okay, so, they were NOT INVADING ECBATANA IN THIS EPISODE. This was a strategically-important FORT on the road to Ecbatana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
^I was just about to say the same thing. It seems Rose is misunderstanding the whole thing. This isn't Ecbatana, it's the Keep of St.Manuel (as said above, a strategic point that has always been on the way to Ecbatana), afaik, it was Lusitanian from the beginning (which is why we don't see Parsian citizens inside) and the war is far from over
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
As much as I did like this particular episode, I'm having trouble imagining how they're going to fit everything in next time. I think Arslan as a whole is a solidly good show; nothing spectacular, but it has a lot of merit. I just hope this next episode doesn't royally crap the bed.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As much as I did like this particular episode, I'm having trouble imagining how they're going to fit everything in next time. I think Arslan as a whole is a solidly good show; nothing spectacular, but it has a lot of merit. I just hope this next episode doesn't royally crap the bed.

This was the last episode, wasn't it? It sure felt like it. Plus the ED showed highlights of the whole series and no preview. Though there was a tease of Gieve at the mountain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 25,

And once again, Arslan just walks right into the middle of the prisoner camp (where no one is chained up) with no guards or even a weapon. If one of the prisoners had picked up a rock and beaten his brains out I would have pretty much just said "told you so". He never learns

I really can't bring myself to like Arslan all that much, he falls into that category of protagonist who doesn't actually do anything, makes naive decisions and still somehow ends up the hero that makes everyone admire them. I've always been more interested in the protagonists who accomplish everything because of their own efforts, skills and intelligence, like lelouch from code geass or light from death note.

As a comparison, Yona from Akatsuki no Yona was in a very similar position (princess who is forced to flee) but she becomes a far stronger character in her story, actively leading and even fighting. Arslan usually just stands around waiting to get rescued whenever trouble happens. He also makes very few actual decisions, usually just going along with whatever his advisers decide. Granted, that is actually the smart thing to do as they have far more experience than him but it doesn't make him any more appealing as a character
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad there's got to be a season 2!

as like i predicted.. these two are a great match!
http://i58.tinypic.com/24lk9xy.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/nlzn78.jpg

{I deleted the [img][/img] tags because the images were just too big. ~nobahn}
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 25,
As a comparison, Yona from Akatsuki no Yona

guess it's a personal preference thing since it was the opposite for me..

i watched Yona for one episode and that's it

1- i'm getting a lot of shoujo vibes from this series
2- in love with my cousin part was a turn off..

so didn't bother after episode 1
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well color me surprised.

Arslan managed to land on a reasonably solid note.

Show has a myriad of problems, and I don't know if I'd recommend it to others, but it's far from the worst thing of the season.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 25,

Well it's kind of hard to compare something when you only watched the first episode of. Note I did enjoy Arslan but I too think Yona was the stronger series both in terms of character development and the group dynamics (I could actually feel the bond of the characters start to grow not just with Yona but with each other..,this is something that was a big missing for me in Arslan). Granted perhaps I am biased as I started to read the manga and If I loved the anime (which I did) the manga was even more amazing.

As for the Arslan I felt this was a solid last episode and I really liked the development of Etiole but I did feel the other characters got shafted a bit well besides Arslan of course. I would definitely like to see what happens next in a second season but it's not going to be my favorite series. Still a good watch.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Really hope we get another season!

Also, haha yeah.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

http://i58.tinypic.com/24lk9xy.jpg[/img]
http://i60.tinypic.com/nlzn78.jpg[/img]

it would but that would depend if it was part of the manga too.

cause from the looks of things this series is more faithful towards the manga instead of the light novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 25,

Well it's kind of hard to compare something when you only watched the first episode of. Note I did enjoy Arslan but I too think Yona was the stronger series both in terms of character development and the group dynamics (I could actually feel the bond of the characters start to grow not just with Yona but with each other..,this is something that was a big missing for me in Arslan). Granted perhaps I am biased as I started to read the manga and If I loved the anime (which I did) the manga was even more amazing.

true.. but each viewer has a certain thing that will turn them off or caused them to drop a series

but i'm glad they are up front about it with Yona since didn't have to sit through the whole series like the Old Boy movie.. Evil or Very Mad
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321511/

sitting through the whole movie because i wanted to know what is going on.. then .... Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

I agree completely! But would you mind shrinking pictures a little before posting them please? I read on my phone and if I shrink the screen to where the pics don't mess things up pushing them aside, then the text is too small to read. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17