• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The female character coming up is a pretty well done character. This is a very old story so expect some issues about it being a man`s world (I mean think of the time period). The one coming up though is a warrior woman who is dressed like that because of being a priestess. Not sure whether Arakawa will make it a fanservice moment or leave it at an outfit. I`m ok with any outfit as long as they don`t do too many slow pans and bounces.

I could see Arslan as being called low fantasy since it`s very much historically based. Game of Thrones though is really not low fantasy. Also I agree it made no sense to be in comparison. I guess the reason is because the two kingdoms represented in the beginning are similarly corrupt.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
"GoT is full of colorful and complex characters at every level of importance, so I do care about the fate of the Westeros nation and who rules it."

I'm not going to make any friends for this but I disagree. Comparing Arslan's world to GoT fails because almost every single main character is a psychotic mass murderer, so it doesn't really matter who rules Westeros in the end, since the show has demonstrated that evil will always prevail and that the humans are ten times worse than the white zombies who want to literally kill everybody.

In short, I care a lot more about Arslan and his universe because not everybody in it is a sadistic monster, unlike GoT.

Well said/posted. GoT's world is one where the norm is cruelty and the only way to survive within it and achieve power is through more cruelty. That's all that world knows and no one strays from that path. It's all about the depravity of humans and how far they will go. In that sense, GoT has mostly become one note.

Arslan has a different approach. It shows that both societies, Pars and Lusitania, are not much different from each other. However, the thought behind the path that Arslan will be taking is one where it will flesh out the alternatives within the context of the world. It is an education for Arslan - a bildungsroman story but with one which informs us to think about it ourselves as well.

When the reviewer posts this:

If this episode of The Heroic Legend of Arslan evens the odds, it's mostly by making Pars and Lusitania both unsympathetic. It has a lot of time to fix this in the future, but I get the sense it wants me to care about who wins the war now, and I can't.

My view is that the story of Arslan being played out went over her head. It's not about making you care about who wins the war now. It's showing you both the folly of Pars society built up the long unquestioned traditions being taken down by another equally bad but competing Lusitania whose main purpose to conquer to secure and control trade and trade routes. It is no better in the regard that it is just as intolerant in certain respects and people within are just as mindless subservient to being led by religious dogma. It's a replay of history where competing societies which are equally flawed in their own ways fighting to conquer, enforce and maintain their respective societies.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
It's really interesting that you choose to compare this show to Game of Thrones, because I keep thinking of that as well.
Both the spoiler[execution] scene last episode, and the scene where the Lusitanians were calling out to the slaves over the walls really reminded me of similar scenes in game of thrones (Jon Snow from this season, and Daenerys from last season).
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
It's showing you both the folly of Pars society built up the long unquestioned traditions being taken down by another equally bad but competing Lusitania whose main purpose to conquer to secure and control trade and trade routes. It is no better in the regard that it is just as intolerant in certain respects and people within are just as mindless subservient to being led by religious dogma. It's a replay of history where competing societies which are equally flawed in their own ways fighting to conquer, enforce and maintain their respective societies.

This is all stuff I discussed in detail in this review and previous reviews. Not sure how you could get the sense it "went over my head" unless you only read the last two paragraphs.

RosaBatata wrote:
It's really interesting that you choose to compare this show to Game of Thrones, because I keep thinking of that as well.
Both the spoiler[execution] scene last episode, and the scene where the Lusitanians were calling out to the slaves over the walls really reminded me of similar scenes in game of thrones (Jon Snow from this season, and Daenerys from last season).

I actually didn't see the visual similarities, but they're dealing with similar themes. The "rulers only get their authority from people who agree to serve them" is something various characters in GOT say verbatim (there's a particularly important scene in the second season where Varys says this to Tyrion, I think?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
I found this episode particularly boring. I mean, it had a few scenes that were very interesting, certainly, but large bits in the middle that seemed to meander. They spent too long discussing and visualizing the slavery issue, when everyone already knew the score just from the end of the previous episode. If I were editing this episode, I would have left in the scenes with bard-guy, he was cool, and the ones in the cave, because those were a bit dry, but at least informative, and then I would have compressed the rest of it down into maybe 1/2-1/4 the current runtime, and then moved on to content from the next episode.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
Saam`s attempt to reason with the queen was important. Wouldn`t want his part cut even though that`s all we see of him.

Surprised no one has mentioned yet how spectacular the fight with Gieve was, rarely is such a dark fight so comprehensible. They played with the lighting effects very well to keep from it ever feeling like the tunnel was well lit.

I wasn`t bored with the episode. This version of the anime is taking it`s time, so they gave Pars a little more time. We`ll be moving on to other ideas come next episode.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I`m ok with any outfit as long as they don`t do too many slow pans and bounces.

I just hope she dresses appropriately for combat. No armor by Fredericks of Hollywood, please!
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the wardrobe is updated some for this version. She does wear more covering clothes at times, but usually the only thing keeping her from showing is the cloak.

My views are based on limited knowledge of the source material, and being a fan of the OVA`s never looked at Arakawa`s comics.

Confused anyone would consider Tahamenay (the Queen) as a prominent female character. Her role is pretty much be cold. I wouldn`t want to be seen as anything like her.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Sadly, her design here is probably the worst redesign out of all characters, so while story-wise she isn't a fanservice bait, design-wise she is.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Look at her as Xena. A strong woman who is allowed to be strong because they make her sexualized. Xena managed to serve a female audience well enough. Attitude Wise she`s pretty much the best female character.

Please no awkward bouncing

I`m sure Elam will continue to be by far the best redesign. In an ova filled with overly beautiful characters he was quite the eyesore. The two versions look nothing alike.

Here`s some screens if anyone wants to see how Narsus`s page used to look.
http://en.anisearch.com/character/23047,elam
animelytical

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
"If this episode of The Heroic Legend of Arslan evens the odds, it's mostly by making Pars and Lusitania both unsympathetic. It has a lot of time to fix this in the future, but I get the sense it wants me to care about who wins the war now, and I can't."

This is why I generally don't click on ANN (among other) reviews. People think that the story is trying to make me think x, or wants me to care about "y", etc. Sometimes, the assumptions contradict what has actually been said in the anime.

I don't think they want you to side with the slave owners with unsympathetic rulers or the people that will slaughter children in the name of their religion. For it to be supporting either of these, it would have to be condoning one, or the other. It most certainly is not. They are clearly showing the ways that Arslan would make a better ruler than Andragoras in the future and that Silver Mask has some sort of trauma which is most likely related to his actions. This episode wasn't in any way asking you to pick between Pars and Lusitania. It was more about the individual ideologies and aims of Arslan, Kharlan, Silver Mask and the nations.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
She does wear more covering clothes at times, but usually the only thing keeping her from showing is the cloak.

There have been several sets of designs for all these characters over the years. Roughly in order of appearance:

-Amano Yoshitaka (original covers for novels 1-10)
-Kamimura Sachiko (movie/OVA character designs)
-Nakamura Chisato (shoujo manga version)
-Tanno Shinobu (2-in-1 reissues of novels 1-10, and 11-up)
-Yamada Akihiro (new paperback edition of novels)
-Arakawa Hiro (current manga)
-Ogiso Shingo (current TV character designs)

And thanks to the efforts of some Japanese fans, you can scroll about halfway down this page to see how each of these artists (in the above order) drew Farangeese. There are pages and pages of design comparisons for the other characters as well (the link above is to the third page of seven).

To me, it looks like Kamimura did a loose adaptation of Amano's work, and Tanno pretty much started over. Arakawa seems to have taken some cues from Tanno (including Farangeese's outfit). The shoujo manga version I'd never heard of before. Anyway, enjoy the pretty pictures (though do be aware that once the Silver Mask images start things do get a little spoilery)!
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
The shoujo art is so different. I prefer a lot of the clothing choices but sadly the artist is a bit off on human figures. And that silver mask is so different.....

Thanks for the link was an interesting comparison piece. Surprised I ran into a spoiler for me though. Definitely stop at page 4.

Tanno`s art is straight from Final Fantasy. Daryun the dark knight.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Tanno`s art is straight from Final Fantasy. Daryun the dark knight.

Interesting, since Amano also did the original character designs for Final Fantasy. I think the Narsus cover is my favorite Tanno image; not very Arslan-y, but very nice colors and composition. The shoujo stuff looks rather stiff. The movie/OVA look is the pinnacle for me, but it's also neat to see Yamada's much more down-to-earth versions.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
I like the Yamada stuff too. Wish the comparison had included more characters. They missed the other prince who I liked quite a lot.

Some of the concepts in the shoujo work were a good idea like some clothing choices, but yeah that artist really isn`t up to par with the rest. Might have been a hard version to get through with the characters being a lot more similar in design.

I really feel one of Arakawa`s bigger mistakes was making Daryun look so asian. He feels better in the more european design, and I liked the seperation of races represented by Kamikura`s work to distinguish the time period.

There is no doubt however that despite the CGI which has been less of an issue after the first episode. This anime is extremely better at conveying battles. The OVA was at times confusing in it`s portrayal of battles, and in the battle of Atropatene the OVA made it out like the Lusitanians used magic to defeat Andragoras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17