• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
Why did Yamada have such a detailed perverted vision? He`s been so good at not really going there in a series that gives him plenty of chances. I`m ok with him fantasizing about getting the girl he wants, but after so many times having avoided temptations it was just a little sad.

When he runs into Odagiri do you think she`ll have already switched with someone else? I take it the charm ability is her skill and she`s probably used to using it in a lot of situations.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Yamada sure seems to take it in stride that he got to do a tickle-and-rassle open-air bath with the whole female half of his school trip class. How many rom-coms have you seen where this or that group of guys nearly kills themselves just trying to get a peek?

Maybe he is developing a deep understanding of the female perspective, which would be pretty unusual for his age and personality type.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
As promised, I tried to get native speakers' understanding of the line that got translated as "I wonder why Yamada looks so cool?" in Crunchy's subs. Two people told me essentially the same thing, that they understood it as Itō describing how one feels after kissing Yamada in the current state of his powers, not necessarily her own feelings at the moment. Basically, the original sentence could be interpreted as "I wonder why Yamada looks so cool (when you kiss him)?", with the part in parentheses omitted. Perhaps a better English translation would be "I wonder why Yamada would look so cool?"

HaruhiToy wrote:
Yamada sure seems to take it in stride that he got to do a tickle-and-rassle open-air bath with the whole female half of his school trip class. How many rom-coms have you seen where this or that group of guys nearly kills themselves just trying to get a peek?

Maybe he is developing a deep understanding of the female perspective, which would be pretty unusual for his age and personality type.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at how decently he was trying to behave. Although this did sort of make his later fantasy about Shiraishi that Nyaomix talked about more jarring. Yeah, healthy adolescent sex drive and all that, but that still felt like it came out of nowhere. I can't be the only one who thought you could see a cameltoe in there (I'm still not sure whether or not that was what they were going for).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Healthy adolescent sex fantasy while still respecting the privacy of people in reality actually demonstrates even more maturity. Smile

Thanks for asking around. Have your friends seen the series? That seems like a lot of nuance from just dialog.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have your friends seen the series? That seems like a lot of nuance from just dialog.
They weren't exactly my friends; I just posted a question on a language exchange website. I'm not sure if either of the respondents was familiar with the series, but I did add a link to a video of the whole scene for some context.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
Yamada's history with Ushio packs an emotional punch, but the hit never has a chance to land. Their backstory is reduced to a useful tidbit of information, and Ushio's attempt to pass it all off as water under the bridge is weak and unconvincing. The idea of Odagiri wanting to stay under the influence of her own power is also brimming with potential, but that door is slammed shut almost immediately.

Again, my take on this was different. Ushio wasn't writing off the past as if it were resolved or didn't matter, he was owning it, without regret or apology, since it brought them both to where they were, and Yamada realized he agreed with that. I thought that was refreshingly insightful for an anime in this genre. I do agree that the Odagiri twist had potential had they chosen to develop it, but I'm fine with them going a different way. How they tacked away from that rang so true to Yamada's character that far from feeling short-changed, I was cheering him. And just because Yamada said never, doesn't necessarily mean the writers have. But if never does mean never, they cut that thread off in a way that doesn't leave it sticking out, so either way, it's all good.

I also really liked how they brought in Yamada's beef with Odagiri. Instead of having him righteously defend himself from Shiraishi's censure with the whole story on the spot (which really would have felt crammed into that scene), they left it for the conversation on the way to the meeting, as if Yamada had needed time to decide to reveal that. That's some pretty delicate character building work, and they pulled it off perfectly. I'd still like to know why Odagiri hung him out to dry back then, but I felt like the story had enough substance that I can build my own reasons around it (she was embarrassed to be involved in such a situation and feared her involvement might come to light) should they choose to delve no further into that.

I guess I just didn't feel like they tried to do too much in this episode. They certainly did do a lot, but I never felt overwhelmed by it all at any point (I actually chuckled when Shiraishi gave her explanation, because the way she led into it felt like she was talking to the audience, and we were all sitting rapt like Yamada as she laid it out). I think it's one of the strengths of this series so far that they can cover so much in such an organic way that each thing flows seamlessly into the next without a hitch.

One thing I will give you, Yamada's expressions are priceless. Very Happy
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Again, my take on this was different. Ushio wasn't writing off the past as if it were resolved or didn't matter, he was owning it, without regret or apology, since it brought them both to where they were, and Yamada realized he agreed with that. Very Happy

I had a problem with that cause Ushio straight up betrayed Yamada and threw him under the bus for a fight that Ushio started in the first place. Sure Yamada ended up in a relatively good spot down the line, but that doesn't really forgive Ushio's actions when he obviously had no knowledge that this is how things would play out. Him not even giving so much as a simple sorry really bugged me
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, he wasn't acting entirely of his own free will in that. It was Odagiri that was behind that, which is why I think an explanation of her motives for going to all that trouble even though she'd successfully disappeared from the scene would have been useful.

But since he's happy with the person he is even under her spell, I think it speaks well of him that he didn't try to excuse himself despite having a pretty good excuse. Saying you're sorry is asking for forgiveness, and since he hasn't repented being charmed by Odagiri, there's not much point in seeking forgiveness. If his actions had ended up with Yamada in jail or something, then I'd be less indulgent of his present attitude.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I actually chuckled when Shiraishi gave her explanation, because the way she led into it felt like she was talking to the audience, and we were all sitting rapt like Yamada as she laid it out. I think it's one of the strengths of this series so far that they can cover so much in such an organic way that each thing flows seamlessly into the next without a hitch.

Shiraishi has become one of my favorite anime girlfriend portrayals of recent years. She doesn't overreact to anything and never jumps to a Yamada-is-a-jerk conclusions that every other female in all anime seems to be required to do. And what is really impressive is how she manages to be able bring Yamada to heel when he needs it, even getting physical when necessary. spoiler[smack!]

Not many girlfriends worth anything would put up with Yamada kissing everything in sight even though, to his credit, Yamada never acts perverted over it. On top of it all she is drop-dead sexy.

To me, her and Yamada and the two of them together are the strongest points of this anime.

Ushio is a dick but really that betrayal was all Odagiri. He was under her spell.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It's been interesting so far watching this anime because I actually read through all of the available manga on Crunchy Roll just before it started.

As I recall the manga largely handled this part the same way and it was just as jarring in there. It has me wondering how many chapters this season is going to cover, spoiler[because the payoff for sweeping the Ushio thing under the rug may not even happen this season if they cut where I think they're going to. This is assuming the show is only 1 cour long. If it winds up being 2 cours then it should be fine.]
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Really happy with this episode, and I also didn`t really feel that rushed. Yeah a lot of the episode was running, but things were explained well enough. I never thought about the switching power being Shiraishi`s. That was a great reveal to make the series focus larger than it has been.

Ushio had a bigger reason to act cold to Yamada than people are thinking here. He is still madly in love with Odagiri, and I`m sure he could guess what was going on in that room without him. He may like who he is now, but Odagiri isn`t really returning his feelings.

Even had Odagiri not been charmed herself she probably would want Yamada all the same. He`s the first person who isn`t instantly manipulated by a kiss. She`ll probably still be wanting to turn his attention to herself. That power is quite the curse.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of the problem is that new characters simply don't have enough time to establish themselves. In fact, time is this episode's biggest issue. This story would've fit comfortably into two episodes, but cramming it into one just doesn't work. Each scene is a mad scramble to reach the next plot point, and the audience has no choice but to keep up.

Amen and amen.

I am a big fanboy of Yoshikawa-sensei, so I am still enjoying every second of this series... but this time around I was sooo confused. I buy into the idea that the future can be changed, but I was at a complete loss about the ending's why/what/how/when... and who?

By the way, did anyone else notice that the blonde guy at the arcade is Daichi Shinagawa from "Yankee-kun to Megane-chan"? (another work of Yoshikawa's).

Considering that the manga is one of the best comedies I've ever read, it's a pity that this series isn't getting more traction.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Whoever decided this anime would be jammed into only one cour instead of two should get fired. This hurts the work of the author more than anything else
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully despite the rushing it does pretty well so her next work to be animated gets better treatment. This story is good, but needs more time.

Hate the next girl`s hairstyle, Sarushima contrasts the other characters well. I also like the addition of Tsubaki to the club to help fill a male version of Ito`s overexcited angle. Odagiri was really portrayed badly by their lame attempt at humor this episode.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 Review wrote:
The desperate pacing also dilutes the show's normally strong sense of humor.

Since this was one of the titles in the first wave of manga CR published online it would seem that there is a subset of viewers here who don't normally read the manga first did in this case. And it would seem this will be the common refrain among all of us.

There is a lot they did right in this adaptation but I have yet to see anyone not say that there not enough episodes for the source material. Too bad. I really like the characters in this story and I am already wanting a remake that salvages the footage we are viewing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5