• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon Author Mamare Touno Charged With Tax Evasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well it isn't even messing with the tax department. For these types of situations tax is incredibly complex and you basically MUST hire an accountant. I get the impression that he didn't have one given the comment "I paid my taxes, I can't comment". That sounds awfully like something someone doing their own taxes would say.

When you have multiple revenue streams it can be very hard to know what has to be declared and what is/isn't. I think the most likely situation is he wasn't declaring royalties simply because he didn't know they had to be. Only a tax accountant can do this stuff properly unfortunately, unless you want to spend a very long time figuring it out yourself.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Damn, well this will keep season 3 from happening anytime soon.

I think the fact that the anime caught up to the books is already going to keep an S3 from happening any time soon.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
@partially I am only 26 with about 50.000 € to my name (which is nothing) and even i have to go to a tax Consultant so none of us should do their own taxes but people like him... You know with assistants, editors and whatnot else and they can call their own should know better.
Even the Joker is afraid of the IRA so there are no excuses.
Dou you all know why Al Capone went to jail? Due to Tax Evasion and nothing else.
10 Celebrities Convicted of Tax Evasion: https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/10-celebrities-convicted-of-tax-evasion Martha Stewart beats Blade! Wow.

Edit: Thanks for the Gainax president Takeshi Sawamura name drop. From wiki-sensei:
Quote:
In 1995, Gainax produced perhaps their best known series, the commercially successful and critically acclaimed Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the wake of Evangelion's success, however, Gainax was audited by the National Tax Agency at the urging of the Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau on suspicion of committing tax evasion on the massive profits accruing from various Evangelion properties. It was later revealed that Gainax had concealed 1.56 billion yen worth of income (thereby failing to pay 560 million yen due in corporate taxes) which it had earned between the release of Evangelion and July 1997 by paying closely related companies various large fees, ostensibly to pay for animation expenses, but then immediately withdraw 90% of the sums from the other company's accounts as cash and store it in safe deposit boxes (leaving 10% as a reward for the other company's assistance).
Gainax president Takeshi Sawamura and tax accountant Yoshikatsu Iwasaki were arrested on July 13, 1999 and later jailed for accounting fraud. Yasuhiro Takeda later defended Sawamura's actions as being a reaction to Gainax's perpetually precarious finances and the shaky accounting procedures internally:
"Sawamura understood our financial situation better than anyone, so when Evangelion took off and the money really started rolling in, he saw it as possibly our one and only opportunity to set something aside for the future. I guess he was vulnerable to temptation at that point, because no one knew how long the Evangelion goose would keep laying golden eggs. I don't think he purposely set out with the goal of evading taxes. It was more that our level of accounting knowledge wasn't up to the task of dealing with revenues on such a large scale."

Edit2: I didn't notice at first that NHK was the source. The irony!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Looks like he was getting tax advice from Takeshi Sawamura
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Tax accounting in the US is a Black Art. The laws themselves are subject to interpretation no matter how plainly worded they are. I doubt that Japan's tax laws differ in that respect.

Even if you are a trained accountant working professionally in field things can, and will, go horribly wrong. Trust me on this, I was one of those trained tax accountants.

This will work itself out, they always do.

Mark Gosdin
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I didn't think being a government funded anime could backfire quite this badly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
I guess somebody wasn't living in the Database
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Somehow, I didn't think being a government funded anime could backfire quite this badly.

Which of his series was government funded and why?
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:

This has essentially nothing to do with the source of funding. This, from what we know thus far, is garden variety screw up your taxes.

Kadmos1 wrote:

Log Horizon's first and second seasons aired on NHK, a government funded channel. As such, a decent chunk of it's funding came from the government.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Log Horizon airs on NHK, which functions much like the BBC with its funding coming from an annual tax on TVs and the Diet approving its budget and appointing its board of directors, though it is theoretically an independent organization.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
It's sad that this had to happen to him. Here's hoping Mamare will find some way of resolving this tax problem soon.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Well this is unfortunate, I hope everything get resolved. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So, Mamare posted a statement:

http://tounomamare.com/img/info/info.pdf

I haven't translated it myself, but people are saying that it says things have been straightened out. Back taxes paid, investigation closed, etc.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
@residentgrigo, not saying no. My post was more an observation that people always seem to think that tax is fairly simple, even when they are employing others. I see people all the time doing their own tax returns even for incredibly complex stuff, trying to save money. They really should know better. Tax accountants can be expensive, but it is far better than the fines you get for evasion. Whether Mamare Touno was legitimately evading tax, or stuffed his own taxes up, remains to be seen.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
@residentgrigo, not saying no. My post was more an observation that people always seem to think that tax is fairly simple, even when they are employing others. I see people all the time doing their own tax returns even for incredibly complex stuff, trying to save money. They really should know better. Tax accountants can be expensive, but it is far better than the fines you get for evasion. Whether Mamare Touno was legitimately evading tax, or stuffed his own taxes up, remains to be seen.

You can get your taxes filed and help figuring everything out for free in some places in the US, I wonder if Japan has something like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3