• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lily James Accused of Racism for Writing 'Shinderera'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
You know, this made me think of something from Pokémon Sunday, a Pokémon-themed variety show in Japan, where they made mention of an American Wobbuffet-related event. Because it's in an English-speaking region, the Japanese voice actor then said out, "Wobbuffet!" with a katakana transliteration. (For the record, Wobbuffet's Japanese name is Soonansu, and this is the first and so far only time an English Pokémon name is pronounced on Pokémon Sunday except where their names are the same, like Pikachu and Flygon.)

Of course, no one took to social media and started calling Pokémon Sunday discriminatory for mocking English-language speakers.

I'm also reminded of how in South Park, the Japanese ranguage is made fun of all the time, but then again, South Park's schtick is to poke people's buttons, so I guess people have come to expect South Park to jab in every direction anyway.

I think most people will do the right thing and ignore the complainers regarding "Shinderera" because they'll know how ridiculous and out-of-proportion it all is.

MisterLuck wrote:
So does this mean the Japanese will stop liking Frozen? Because I'm tired of all the Pixiv fan art.

I'm not.

Dietrihm7 wrote:
Anyone who buys into new's stories of this ilk, and gets involved with making them trend higher and higher on twitter, makes me question how they were raised. If something is trending on twitter it usually means the opposite opinion to the "trend" is the sane one.

That makes it sound like saneness and Twitter trending are mutually exclusive. Pop culture is inherently irrational, as it's based on popular opinion and novelty, but it's certainly not always insane.

Hoppy800 wrote:
That's why I don't like tumblr, outrage culture should be banned from media.

How can it be banned? What sort of laws would have to be enacted, and from which governments?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
If a Japanese person were offended by it, then I wouldn't question the legitimacy of their feelings. One can elaborate on their own intent, but cannot simply debate away the hurtful experiences underlying someone's conditioned knee-jerk reaction.

However, this is more likely one of those cases of arguably well-meaning people feeling entitled to get offended on someone else's behalf with emotions they lack the background to genuinely feel. While I'm sure being perpetually outraged is effective at cultivating their desired more-progressive-than-though image for themselves, it does far more harm than good in regard to fostering understanding between different groups of people. Instead, it's become commonplace for people to react dismissively toward those who feel insulted for valid personal reasons, due to the drastically higher probability of the alternative.

Yeah, that's how I feel. If people who are actually Japanese are offended by it, then she should apologize, but as a white person I don't know if it's really my place to label something as racist if the people the comment would be directed towards aren't bothered by it. I'd rather hear what the group says themselves and support it?

At the very least, from my (limited) perspective on the surface it doesn't seem like it was meant to mock anyone. It comes across to me like she was maybe trying to write the "Japanese title." Kind of stupid/ignorant, but not necessarily intended viciously. I can understand someone who's Japanese (particularly Japanese-American) finding it hurtful, and I wouldn't want to invalidate that, but I don't know if that's actually what's going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Everytime I hear about Twitter it seems like a community just looking for something to be offended by.

-Stuart Smith

Every time I see your posts with you manually signing your name in there every time I imagine it would look better with a frame. So here you go, I framed your post with quotes, because it is also my thoughts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You know, this made me think of something from Pokémon Sunday, a Pokémon-themed variety show in Japan, where they made mention of an American Wobbuffet-related event. Because it's in an English-speaking region, the Japanese voice actor then said out, "Wobbuffet!" with a katakana transliteration. (For the record, Wobbuffet's Japanese name is Soonansu, and this is the first and so far only time an English Pokémon name is pronounced on Pokémon Sunday except where their names are the same, like Pikachu and Flygon.)

Of course, no one took to social media and started calling Pokémon Sunday discriminatory for mocking English-language speakers.

After reading this, I guess some people are hypocritical. Rolling Eyes

A Japanese show that poke fun at English speaker=not racism

An American actor that put the Japanese pronounciation of a Hollywood film=racism
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

An American actor that put the Japanese pronounciation of a Hollywood film=racism

But the question is whether those "defenders of justice" were Japanese or some know-it-all from elsewhere.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Footnote: I think that a closer transliteration would be スィンデレラ (Su-i-N-De-Re-Ra; pronounced as Sinderera). It is possible.

There are a lot of combinations like the one you just used that exist, but they aren't common place. I asked a professor at the Japanese university I was at about it and the explanation I got was that they weren't intuitive and were also awkward to pronounce and therefore rarely used. I have no idea if that was just his opinion or a widely held standard opinion. It gave me the impression that it would be kind of like putting a bunch of accent marks on vowels of an english word and then asking an american to read it.

Hameyadea wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

But the question is whether those "defenders of justice" were Japanese or some know-it-all from elsewhere.

I'd bet the vast majority are all white males with absolutely no knowledge of Japanese. I swear it seems like when you find some one white knighting for a minority on the internet, eventually you almost always find out they are a white male. Makes me think there are a lot of white guys with guilty consciences trying to feel better.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this woman is so racist, how dare she makes a joke about how an entire race write "Cinderella" in their language! It has everything to do with the discrimination of a race or how a race is superior to another race so it is in fact racist!
Seriously, people should start learning what the meaning of the word "racist" before spouting nonsense.
LordU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Americans getting offended for other people again, what else is new? I doubt Japanese even give a shit.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is ridiculous. Anyone who spends their time jumping on strangers for saying something that doesn't seem 100% politically correct needs to get a life (this is coming from someone who has watched a full 25 episode anime in one day).

Parse Error wrote:
To be fair, I don't think a handful of tweets qualifies as a "movement," except perhaps of the bowels.

That needs to be on a t-shirt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
^Now I'm wondering what "person I disagree with politically" was changed from...

Some Japanese takes on Western loan words don't make much sense to my English trained ears, like "kohee" from "coffee." But, as other people have pointed out, all languages have variations on loan words, and it shouldn't be considered racist if you're just pointing that out, even in jest.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:

This is ridiculous. In the last couple of years people have become oversensitive pansies. Looking for racism, sexism, etc, hoping to be offended.

Don't forget whitewashing. Smile

Dietrihm7 wrote:

If something is trending on twitter it usually means the opposite opinion to the "trend" is the sane one.

Keep in mind twitter is big in Japan. Smile

SilverTalon01 wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

I know my Japanese teacher forced us to say English loan words in Japanese the Japanese way. It's weird in text, but it might be more polite to say it vocally like that in Japan.

That is because if you don't, unless they speak a reasonable amount of English, they won't get it. Also despite being specifically warned that just saying an English word as a Japanese person would say it won't help them get it, both times I actually tried it due to having no other ideas worked (getting internet at a DeoDeo and changing my visa status).

Even Japanese themselves make fun of it! Laughing

How Japanese Teacher Teach English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8JeCS3P6w

Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Guile wrote:
Actually there's a ]movement that does consider the word waifu offensive.

To be fair, I don't think a handful of tweets qualifies as a "movement," except perhaps of the bowels. Whether or not one agrees, it's shouldn't be difficult to understand how the phenomenon could be considered sexist, but the racist part seems rather untenable.
There are definitely a number of people who feel that way, but in general it's stuck within the anime fandom, which is all about "cultural appropriation" anyways.
Videogamep wrote:
This whole thing is ridiculous. Anyone who spends their time jumping on strangers for saying something that doesn't seem 100% politically correct needs to get a life (this is coming from someone who has watched a full 25 episode anime in one day).
Western college campuses have generally been infected with an outrage culture and social media has allowed it to spread, though we're starting to see even the colleges themselves tell them to shove off, so we're making progress. It's still going to be with a while, though.
Agent355 wrote:
Now I'm wondering what "person I disagree with politically" was changed from...
"SJW", short for "social justic warrior", the sort of person who'd start a firestorm claiming the tweet was racist.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
... outrage culture should be banned from media.

How can it be banned? What sort of laws would have to be enacted, and from which governments?

I am outraged by the outrage, and I believe all this talk of banning should be banned. Obviously all we have to do is kill all the bad people in the world. Then there will only be good people in it and no need for laws.

BTW. I liked it more a few years ago. Don't tell Twitter about it.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
How dare she! Waisism!

{Please be careful with your mockery. Thank you. ~nobahn}
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
How dare she! Waisism!

I think you mean "lacism" Wink

How dare she! Waisism!

{Please be careful with your mockery. Thank you. ~nobahn}
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7