• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lily James Accused of Racism for Writing 'Shinderera'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Hameyadea wrote:

But the question is whether those "defenders of justice" were Japanese or some know-it-all from elsewhere.

I'd bet the vast majority are all white males with absolutely no knowledge of Japanese. I swear it seems like when you find some one white knighting for a minority on the internet, eventually you almost always find out they are a white male. Makes me think there are a lot of white guys with guilty consciences trying to feel better.

I bet they are the same white males/non-Japanese person pretending to be Japanese (you know what I'm talking about) that are the one making the complaint and outrage. I put my bet they never called racism when Japanese wrecked/butchered the English language aka Engrish. Rolling Eyes

Animelover12313 wrote:

Seriously, people should start learning what the meaning of the word "racist" before spouting nonsense.

Well I'm curious if these same people that called out accused Lily James of racism would dare called out Momoiro Clover Z for doing blackface (I'm not making this up, USA Today even reported on it). Because of this scandal, they have to canceled their appearances over the blackface backlash. I wondered why ANN didn't report on that one alongside the ex-adviser for PM Abe calling for apartheid-style segregation in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
called out Momoiro Clover Z for doing blackface (I'm not making this up, USA Today even reported on it).

Because of this scandal, they have to canceled their appearances over the blackface backlash.

I wondered why ANN didn't report on that one alongside the ex-adviser for PM Abe calling for apartheid-style segregation in Japan.

The first one because it wasn't brought to our attention. I would have gladly reported on it since Momoiro Clover Z has a connection with anime.

The latter because Japanese politics are not the scope of this website's newsroom or Interest section unless they affect anime and manga, like copyright or censorship. You've now posted the Abe bit in here twice.

I also dislike how your tone is suggesting we willfully ignore these sorts of things as some kind of pro-Japan favoritism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
We live in a soft society. Not in Vegas though, someone dies viciously on a daily.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I also dislike how your tone is suggesting we willfully ignore these sorts of things as some kind of pro-Japan favoritism.

If it looks like it, that wasn't my intention (and I apologize if it looks like it). My problem is there a lot of news report you guys are missing (I'm not sure if I recall sending the Momoiro Clover Z blackface article). I send a lot of them to ANN Newsroom's email, but I think 60-70% of the item I send never got reported. Well I didn't think the ex-adviser of PM Abe and apartheid is not that newsworthy for ANN. But when I saw this article (I'm referring to Lily James racism accusation), it kinda made me facepalm because I understand it's interest and it's related to Japan but I question if it's really that newsworthy for ANN to report on it (because you're reporting on a western celebs racism accusation, that's why I threw in the PM Abe's ex-adviser apartheid soapbox). I mean I know some other news related to Japan and anime that is more newsworthy then this one, I'm not calling you out for bias or anything like that, but I find it weird for ANN to report on something that isn't newsworthy.

Again, I apologize if it looks like I'm accusing ANN of bias, I'm not. I question the validity of publishing an article that is not newsworthy.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
This is why the world need one language so things like this dont happen

I call Klingon
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
OK, PEOPLE!!!

Do I have your attention? Good. We're getting complaints about this thread and I want people to know that I, for one, am Not A Happy Camper. So everyone WILL take a deep breath and think twice before clicking on the "submit" icon.

Thank you.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can verify two things, we appreciate all leads sent to us and I look at all the leads sent over to me for Interest. Of the ones I have received from you, quite a few aren't about anime or manga, they're music related and often K-Pop or about Korean drama remakes.

I didn't get anything about Momoiro Clover Z in blackface. While I'm sure we do miss a few relevant leads, I wouldn't say there is a lot. We've also explained this before in another thread regarding why and how leads are decided on, to you.

As for this lead in particular. I'm trying out some different things for the section and seeing what kind of response it gets.
LordU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
OK, PEOPLE!!!

Do I have your attention? Good. We're getting complaints about this thread and I want people to know that I, for one, am Not A Happy Camper. So everyone WILL take a deep breath and think twice before clicking on the "submit" icon.

Thank you.

LOUD NOISES
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
^
Just so long as those are polite "loud noises," then I don't care.

Last edited by nobahn on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I can verify two things, we appreciate all leads sent to us and I look at all the leads sent over to me for Interest. Of the ones I have received from you, quite a few aren't about anime or manga, they're music related and often K-Pop or about Korean drama remakes.

Oh no, I send other stuff that are not related to Korea like for example. I send an article from Fuse TV interviewing Babymetal since you guys have reported on Babymetal several times. Also I sent an article about Japanese-language classes enrollment in US (using MLA report as a citation) has declined for the last few years. That one didn't get reported and I thought that would be newsworthy and something people on ANN should debate/talk about.

Quote:
I didn't get anything about Momoiro Clover Z in blackface.

I checked my sent on my email, looks like I never send that one. So disregard that part.

Quote:
As for this lead in particular. I'm trying out some different things for the section and seeing what kind of response it gets.

With all due respect, I keep scratching my head when I see a ANN article (like this one for example) that I think (in my opinion) that seem a bit out of place.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7, can't be mate, they'll never care because it's Japanese who are doing it so it's alright in their book! Very Happy. Although, I wouldn't call this racist because it is stereotype instead of the former. But nah, they wouldn't care, you know why Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
BECAUSE NIPPON IS #1 COUNTRY IN THE SEKAI SO EVERYTHING THEY DO IS SUGOI! Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
This is why the world need one language so things like this don't happen

I call Klingon

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not Esperanto nor Swahili, eh? Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Or, as Calvin suggested in one comic strip of Calvin and Hobbes, one of those African click languages.

Polycell wrote:
Western college campuses have generally been infected with an outrage culture and social media has allowed it to spread, though we're starting to see even the colleges themselves tell them to shove off, so we're making progress. It's still going to be with a while, though.

Hasn't it been that way since the Civil Rights Movement? During my time at UCSC, I felt like I was culturally stuck in the late 60's. I also collected agitprop I found off the streets and on campus as there was so much of it that no one would notice if a poster was gone from a bulletin board.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to a bunch of white kids on the Internet to take offence to a harmless joke about another race.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ever have someone effect a crappy "Asian" accent at you because you're Asian descent, and so obviously you don't speak English, even if you just spoke fluent English at them because you're a natural born citizen? Because that's a thing some people do.

That said, it's still obvious that's not what she intended in this particular tweet. I wouldn't be surprised if she was coached to pronounce the word the way you would as a Japanese speaker. And surely anyone would have the sense to never do something like that in a tweet promoting the Japanese premiere of their movie.

Point is, yes people are overacting, but I think some would be shocked to know it's maybe not quite as overreacting as they think.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7