• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lily James Accused of Racism for Writing 'Shinderera'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah I remember when the predominantly white people on tumblr got all offended on Japan's behalf over a Avril Lavgine music video. That was.... fun. I even got a death threat over it. Good ol' tumblr.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh jeez, some people are just way too easily offended sometimes.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
To be racist this would have had to have a half-hearted attempt at using onomatopoeia to mock the language.

The fact is she actually used the correct romanisation of the Japanese katakana. That is in no way showing racism and instead shows respect for the language.

Why don't we all just IGNORE every other culture and language on Earth because we obviously can't understand them. Hole up in our rooms and not interact with other people. Because calling this racism is saying interacting at all with other people is racism. To acknowledge someone is different is racism.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Grow some backbone internet. Like my german manipulative mining ancestors Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I think there are pressing issues that are more worthy to be outraged at than Lily's use of the Katakana spelling of Cinderella.

That's all I got to say here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Reminds us of the Olympics et. al. slit-eye controversies

wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Things like this are why I've become convinced that carbon-based life was a terrible mistake. It's why when I watched the first episode of Punch Line, the asteroid coming down to destroy the planet made me laugh and laugh and laugh.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Why would the Japanese be offended at all at this romanization?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Reminds us of the Olympics et. al. slit-eye controversies

People in China said this pic is not racism and they were ok with, so it's not Racism.

So for this case, it's up to Japanese. If they think they got offended, then the media has a case. If 99% of Japanese dont got offended, then it's not racism.

US shouldn't get into other countries' business. Rather is racism of not, it's up to people in that country to decide.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think people are forgetting that racism can vary by country(even races themselves vary by country). A native-born Japanese person might not think it's racist because they are the dominant race in their culture. But a Japanese-American who continually had white people ask if they liked 'flied lice' or would do the stupid 'chingchongchang' at them may have a different opinion.

I don't think she meant it in malice, but I do think it was insensitive or ignorant of racial politics.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
mdo: It's under 'interest', not news. But I'm sure Grammar Nazis will relish the endless debate over the topic.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Storm in a teacup. People should calm the heck down instead of looking for reasons to be offended. It's obvious she didn't mean any offence by it, and no actual harm was done. And it's not like there's a dearth of legitimately bad things in the world. There are so many more important instances of racism in the world to combat than this one, so people need to get their priorities straight.

overlordrae wrote:
But a Japanese-American...

She wasn't in Honolulu or San Diego, she was in Tokyo. So I'm not sure why it even matters that Japanese-Americans would possibly find it racist. There's always someone who will find even the most innocuous things to be racist. That doesn't mean everyone should change their behaviour just to accommodate them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

People in China said this pic is not racism and they were ok with, so it's not Racism.

Just because they might say they're ok with it does not mean it's still not racist. That's like saying "well black rappers say n****r and are ok with it so it's not racist." No, it's still racist. If you're doing some fake "Asian" eyes or voice impression and your Asian neighbor is fine with it that doesn't mean it's still not racist to all the other Asian people in the neighborhood.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
.... I want to (somehow) lock those people in a room with the circa 2005 American anime fans who thought you were racist against Japan if you didn't call Edward Elric and his brother "Edo" and "Aru", and if you said "Elemental Gelade," or "Chrono Crusade" with two O's. Or if you said "Plan" instead of "Keikaku," while watching "Desu Note". The level is about the same.

(Wait no, they were okay with saying "death" because it sounds gothier, right.)

No, seriously, some person probably told her "Here we say it this way," and made her think she was being cool and local. I doubt there was any mocking intent. People on social media just like to assume the worst of people.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
So, most of us are racist, because we are using word "waifu" Laughing.

Actually there's a ]movement that does consider the word waifu offensive.

This is hilarious Laughing. Why're they so concerned about fictional characters? Are they retarded or so lonely that only those drawing exist in they life?

P.s. When people use "racism" or "racists" in such context — this is enough to make Martin Luther King turn in his grave.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7