• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mikagura School Suite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, I have to be careful reading posts in this thread, even with all the spoiler tags, it's easy to figure out the direction... Well, I am glad about that at least but I don't really want to know more yet. Where's the fun? Anime smile

And at least that's what I am having with this show. I just watched it back to back with Rinne and couldn't help but think that Sakura and Eruna are like day and night. Where Sakura is incredible monotone and unfazed by anything, Eruna is so full of energy (and herself) that she even bounces back from her crushing defeat quite fast. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Eruna's interactions with Seisa this episode paralleled her interactions with her mom at the beginning of the series (yes, that was her mom, not her sister, and we were apparently just supposed to know that)...
A minor nitpick, but the fact that it was her mother is made perfectly clear... in Japanese, that is. To be fair to Funi, having the mother refer to herself in the third person when talking to her teenage daughter probably would have sounded a bit more awkward in English than it does in Japanese.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
A minor nitpick, but the fact that it was her mother is made perfectly clear... in Japanese, that is. To be fair to Funi, having the mother refer to herself in the third person when talking to her teenage daughter probably would have sounded a bit more awkward in English than it does in Japanese.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's her mom in the Japanese version, but the English sub plus her character design make it look like Eruna's older sister is home from college for Golden Week.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal, except I'm so used to the "hot mom" being a love interest's parent, and in those stories a character will always point out that the mom looks young.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I love how the solution to every problem in this show so far has been "get together with your friends after school and have fun being loud."

Turn off your video games, go outside, flirt with a girl, have a slumber party, run around like an idiot. Maybe you'll learn to like yourself a little bit more.

Quote:
Akama's character development doesn't work quite as well, unfortunately. It's not that it's particularly misguided; the desire to mask parts of his personality is actually a credible flaw for the president of the drama club. The trouble is that there's not nearly enough time in this episode to do anything worthwhile with that idea.

I wonder whether this was a conscious choice to not spend too much time on material covered by the songs. "Lethargic Coup d'Etat" has 700k + views on Niconico Douga, and is basically a four-minute Akama-themed music video. If I were the director, I'd assume that everyone watching this show in Japan is aware that it is based on a Vocaloid concept album, and has either heard Akama's song or knows where they can hear it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
^I liked Akama's backstory, and hope it isn't all magically resolved. Feeling rejected by one's own mother is not an easy thing to deal with, but I suppose with all the characters on this show they can't afford to spend too much time on they story of a non main character. So it's a case of needing to watch the supplementary materials to get the whole story, huh?

The big, varied cast really sets this show apart--I get the impression that these aren't just cookie cutter cliches, especially Eruna who is far from being a stereotypical "humorous" pervert (female or male) who sees every other character as either a sexual conquest or a rival. Far from it, she's kind, outgoing, flexible and has a sense of humor. She didn't like being called a "gorilla" by the drama club at first, but she rolled with it to make the others laugh. There's still plenty of "Eruna thinks or says something perverted and is punished for it" "comedy", but hopefully that'll die down as the series goes on.
This show is filled with tropes, but the characters aren't (except, perhaps, Seisa. Still don't know enough about her yet). That really makes it stand apart 4 eps in.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So it's a case of needing to watch the supplementary materials to get the whole story, huh?

Sort of? You could probably think of the 11 currently-released songs as a single 45 minute-long OVA that gives more information on each of the main characters (I spoiler tagged anything remotely plot-relevant):

Eruna = "After-School Stride" and "Overture"
Yuno = "Lethargic Coup d'etat"
Himi = "Ecstatic Vivace"
Kyoma = "Trashy Innocence"
Asuhi = "Seeing a Sixteen-Day-Old Moon"
Seisa = "Fabrication Spiral"
Sadamatsu = "Reflection of Falling Cherry Blossom Petals"
spoiler[Shigure] = "Innovative Heroism"
spoiler[Otone] = "Frankness Candy"
spoiler[Biimii] = "Unreasonable Roulette"
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I was totally lost during this whole episode. They ignored the rookie battle all together and instead decided to focus on a bunch of mini character developments that were put together in the most awful way.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
One of the later light novels has no fight scenes in the entire volume, so you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting the action to ramp up, Paul. Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll take solace for episode 5 when Kyouma mentioned to Seisa that she's beginning to be little more outgoing thanks to Eruna. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad that akama got a more fun scene with the super miracle man toy.

How much takoyaki did Seisa eat? Bimii was carrying so much.

Not a great episode, but I can handle it with this show.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
This series is becoming a complete mess. They seem to be more focused on Eruna's raging lesbianism than the actual fights.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
This series is becoming a complete mess. They seem to be more focused on Eruna's raging lesbianism than the actual fights.

This is a slice-of-life series about a lesbian, set at a school where people fight each other.

Plus, this arc is based on a light novel where most of the fights are described like this:

"Then, Eruna fought pretty girl X. She won. Afterwards, Biimii remarked that Eruna did a good job. Eruna didn't hear him, though, because she was distracted by pretty girl Y walking past."
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Always being mean to Bimii.... They almost let him drown this time.

Not a fan of the reminder about Nyamirin`s bounciness. Never been a fan of that.

As a lesbian I have to disagree that they are putting too much focus on her being a lesbian. This is an extreme breath of fresh air for a Yuri fan, because she is very much treated as a normal character in a diverse school. She hangs out with the guys as much as the girls, and outside of finding her odd and creepy in a "look away" sense, the other characters don`t hold it against her. Usually the only time it`s not an issue is in a series like Card Captor Sakura where it`s just plain ignored.

To me this series is a shounen series with a shoujo art style. It feels very similar to any perverted boy main character who tries and tries, but is generally seen as pathetic rather than attractive. They informed you in the first episode that the main character is a pervert who fantasizes about high school relationships. It`s not a surprise at all that Eruna is continuing to chase girls. Though it`s definitely not everything, she stops by a lot of clubs and spends time with plenty of guys in a friendly manner. Most of this episode is about her spending time with the painter Kuzuryu who very much is not a girl.

As for the fights being focused on Tonkyun, it was nice to give another character the spotlight especially since his role is generally the one who gets ignored. We don`t need more characters added to the series so filling out the tournament would just force the rest of the school to start becoming less of an endless sea of sketches. From the beginning they showed most students as so unimportant to not even deserve color.

This series is about Eruna and her relationships. I`m for comedy over battles on this one. Keep it fun, and don`t get too far into the darker side of this stories` reality. Seisa was able to enjoy watching Eruna fight Tonkyun, and that was it`s own resolution to Seisa`s disgust when poor Usamaru was beaten viciously. If we saw more of the fights it would be harder to really suggest Eruna is getting Seisa to see things differently. The dark was to see where the rest of the school sat. What we get as a focus is that for Eruna this school is nothing but fun.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Sorta agree with you on most points, Nyaomix.

I am having a lot of fun with this show but the way they practically went from Eruna winning to announcing she lost the next match without showing anything and treating it like an inconsequential event felt a little... off. I feel this episode was not bad, it was plenty fun but I think it fell into the "trying to press too many things into one episode" corner.

It's no big deal for me. I very much enjoy the setting and Eruna's yuri pervertness being treated just like the equivalent with a straight boy in this setting would be. I said it in the beginning: That's the show's great unique appeal and unless it complete screws up at some point (which I somehow doubt), I can live with a few hiccups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The special abilities aren't as creative, the choreography isn't as ambitious, and the characters' personalities aren't as evident in their fighting styles.

I completely agree with this. The prior fights in Mikagura, while rarely completely on-model, were always full of kinetic energy and were a blast to watch. However the fight against the drama club pig boy was flat and uninteresting. It was practically cut from a completely different show, featuring a ton of still frames, zoom ins while attacking, and no kinetic energy whatsoever. I was rather disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5