• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the part I love is that it has the things I love about shonen action shows, with none of the tedious pacing issues I can't stand. It gets right to the point, without having to get bogged down in the character development aspects which are handled through the rest of the show. Usually.

Totally agree with this.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Welcome back, Gintama! Very Happy

I think these two episodes are this series at its best with the screwball comedy with irreverent humor.

As for the more serious arcs, I like them as well as the comedy. If it was 100% comedy, it would get monotonous.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Question to whoever decides to post here: what's your opinion on Gintama's serious arcs? I've personally liked most of them (and there are some pretty epic ones coming our way too), but I know there's a large amount of people that doesn't like them as much as the comedic episodes.

I was under the assumption that those people are a very small minority to be honest. I've seen one or two people who feel that way, yes, but most people seem to be crazy for them.

As for me, Gintama's serious arcs are what makes the series extra special. I'd still love the series if it was pure comedy, but with the occasional serious stories included, Gintama as a series sort of encapsulates a lot of what I love about the anime medium. The show's versatility keeps it from becoming boring - I always want to know what crazy thing the series does next, and whether it will be funny, sad, or exciting.

For me, this series is one of the few series where mood shifts really work effectively, because Gintama is all about breaking established expectations anyway. I like that Gintama's serious arcs are streamlined and on-point - all the good old shonen action without the tedious stuff and ends without dragging on. But I think what I really like about the serious arcs is that I get to see ridiculously cool stuff being done by characters that I really care about and know extremely well. That makes what would be competent narratives in another series be something amazing and memorable in Gintama. It's like the difference between rooting for a stranger vs a close friend or a family member.

Yes, there are flashier action shows, but they don't have Gintama's characters. And honestly, I think Gintama serious arcs look fantastic. The rarity of action scenes means each one is beautifully animated. It's always a treat for the eyes when a serious arc occurs and it remains a treat because it's only given occasionally.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Definitely I'm going to follow this anime, I kind of gave up with the manga after the anime ended because the page content and dialogue were so dense that it basically lost the comedic timing for me (something the first 20 or 30 volumes had) and it made many of the jokes fall flat. But with the anime format the timing is so much better that I can laugh again. Funny arc Laughing

About the serious arcs, for the most part I like them but because they are very separated from each other and therefore you don't feel overloaded (which is the problem the Gintama season in 2012 had imo, too much). I don't consider all the long arcs 'serious' (I don't even consider for example Kyubee's arc one of the serious ones), but I like them all (except the Nakaru/Tsukuyo's master arc, I thought that sucked) and I think they are pretty enjoyable without feeling dragged and fantastically animated and choreographed. So as long as there is only once in a while without being too close, I'm cool with that.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Oh! I've been meaning to ask - what's the story behind Gintoki's pained exclamation of "PSYCHO-PASS!"? Was this completely random or am I missing something super-obvious?

They like to say stupid things when they have to exclaim something.
There was that part where they yelled out MICHEAL JACKSON when they sneezed. Sometimes it's a pop culture reference, other times it's just nonsense.

Also, the serious arcs are really great. The comedy part is just to throw you off guard so that it hits you harder when it hits the fan. We're in for a few good ones, depening on how long it'll run this time.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Given the show's immense popularity, it always struck me as odd that the anime stops whenever it comes close to catching up with the manga. I mean, given the anything-goes nature of Gintama, it seems like an easy property for which to create anime-original stories. Just don't mess with the tiny hint of an overarching plot and you're golden.

At any rate, I hope we get at least a year's worth of new episodes this time around. Like you guys have been saying, there's some good stuff coming up on both the comedic and dramatic fronts, and I'd love to see it in anime form.
GundamZX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes were pretty bad. The story worked a lot better in the manga when speechbubbles and sfx are the norm.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first two episodes were pretty bad. The story worked a lot better in the manga when speechbubbles and sfx are the norm.

In fairness, they couldn't have omitted the SFX gag without changing the story's conclusion.
Nakottih

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Why do I love Gintama ?... Hum... Taka-Chin made my day back then !Surprised

As for the deep question, serious or humourous, I think it's a really good mix, cause in both ways, you never know what to expect for !! For me, this point is THE real strengh of Gintama !
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Given the show's immense popularity, it always struck me as odd that the anime stops whenever it comes close to catching up with the manga. I mean, given the anything-goes nature of Gintama, it seems like an easy property for which to create anime-original stories. Just don't mess with the tiny hint of an overarching plot and you're golden.

At any rate, I hope we get at least a year's worth of new episodes this time around. Like you guys have been saying, there's some good stuff coming up on both the comedic and dramatic fronts, and I'd love to see it in anime form.

I actually appreciate that they know when to stop and avoid filler. However, I'd still be happy if they decided not to stop and do lots of filler at once because Gintama's filler is just as funny as the source material. A good result of an animation studio that actually has fun with making the show.

And I agree, the next arc that was previewed is really funny, I can't wait for the next episode. I've missed this feeling. Thank you for coming back Gintama!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with some comments here about the overall humor.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:

Question to whoever decides to post here: what's your opinion on Gintama's serious arcs? I've personally liked most of them (and there are some pretty epic ones coming our way too), but I know there's a large amount of people that doesn't like them as much as the comedic episodes.

The serious arcs are amazing,though i always felt that they were just a bonus. so if they weren't there,i still feel that show would hold up as well as it has.

I really do love that this show is back,its one of the few rare shows where i see people that have nothing but good things to say about it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The serious arcs are amazing,though i always felt that they were just a bonus. so if they weren't there,i still feel that show would hold up as well as it has.

Well said. This is basically how I feel about them, too.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, this latest episode (3 / 268) is Gintama at its weakest and autopilot in terms of comedy for me. The show can be funny in both content and delivery, but sometimes it falls into all these traps:
  • Probably because it's adapting all the material from the manga about this story but it feels very compressed without a break time between jokes making it too overload.
  • There are too many jokes together one behind another without the plot moving forward even a tiny bit during many minutes (even if the plot is just going from one scenario to the other, comedy episodes also have a plot that brings all those jokes), we spent too many time in the table ceremony or in the bar for full minutes of non-stopping jokes and that's it.
  • Most of all, almost all the jokes were just the typical Tsukkomi formula (the Boke says something stupid/mean/nosensical, the Tsukkomi [Yamazaki in this one] complains about it) only relying on the formula itself, not because their dialogues are very funny or cleverly written, most of them felt like filler improvised cheap dialogues to fill as many tsukkomi jokes as they can. At least for me.

In some episodes the comedy works better (the two previous ones in my opinion), in others it works worse (this one). But meh, in those cases it's just hoping the next will be better and that's it, nothing major.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched it yet, and I only vaguely remember this story from the manga, but I look forward to discussing it here when I do. Comedy-wise, it'd be pretty hard to top the season openers.

Speaking of the manga, does anyone else think Sorachi is gearing up for the end? The last eight-ish months have been pure epicness -and he seems to be wrapping up all the series' continuing narratives. I really hope I'm wrong, but this honestly feels like curtain call. Plus, if the manga's going to conclude in the near future, that may explain the anime's revival.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 35