• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So has the Manga ended? I don't read it, but I keep tabs on it. And it seems like there are still chapters coming out despite the fact that it supposedly ended.

edit: I know I kind of answered my own question there, a better question could be why is there content coming out after the Manga finished its last arc.?

Ended... the manga... what? /s Smile

At this point the characters themselves are breaking the 4th wall over how long the "final" arc is.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
^ So unless the manga wraps up within the next couple of months, would it be safe to assume that at least one more hiatus awaits? I remember the "climax" being teased back in January, but it would appear that the climax wasn't exactly the conclusion.

I think I've done a pretty good job of following the plot ever since the series went into endgame mode, but there are a couple things I'm still unclear on. For starters, how, if at all, do Utsuro's machinations tie into Shigeshige's assassination and/or Sasaki's plot to start a rebellion? It seems like he'd been working on his grand plan for quite a while, but why, exactly, did he make his move in the wake of the aforementioned events? The Battle on Rakuyo revealed that he'd been working in the shadows to take control of the Harusame and steal the Tendoshu's terminal keys, but the culmination of these plans lining up with Shigeshige's death and the Kokujo prison break seems too convenient to be a coincidence.

Also, why did the Harusame elders turn on the 7th Division? This seems to have been done at Utsuro's behest, but why? Did he simply make an educated guess that Kamui would pose a threat to his takeover of the organization?
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Bansai... Crying or Very sad I've always loved his outfit and unique fighting style, but what a badass way to go out! Now Shinsuke-sama really needs to deliver with all those hopes put in him...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
So are those concentrated Altana beams being fired from weapons of some sort, or can Utsuro just control them at will?

I'm hoping Takechi somehow survived, although I have no idea how he'd be able to pull that off. Whenever an important character is killed, the show usually gives them a proper send-off, and since Takechi's death was so abrupt, I'll take that as a hopeful sign.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
Man, Batou and Shokaku got the most abrupt deaths for supporting characters I think I've seen in this series. No warning, no last words, no mourning. Just...gone. Shocked

I'm glad Bansai at least got a terrific send-off, though I'm sad to see him go. Anime cry Ah, endings...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Man, Batou and Shokaku got the most abrupt deaths for supporting characters I think I've seen in this series. No warning, no last words, no mourning. Just...gone.

Their deaths were so abrupt that until reading the review, I didn't even realize that Shokaku had died, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
^And apparently he didn't! Could've used some explanation as to how he survived though.

Considering his weapon of choice, it seems odd to call him the Gunpowder Prince. Interesting weapon though with both blade and energy bullet capabilities.

Elizabeth! Don't be dead! /oo\
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, man, I hope Elizabeth's okay. Even though a little bit of blood could be seen on the beak, my guess is that Dragonia slipped out of the suit and slithered away to safety. The suit appeared to be empty through the beam-holes, but it's possible I'm being too optimistic.

I wish they'd offered up an explanation for Shokaku's survival, too. Especially since his survival is what facilitated Takechi's. Just a sentence or two would have sufficed.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
This is shounen. All you saw was the roof collapsing on him. There's no way that would kill any named character in shounen. Particularly in Gintama, the things they can survive through, I mean how many time has Gin been stabbed right through?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
Oh, I definitely think the main cast and prominent supporting characters are safe, so Elizabeth's more than likely fine. However, as Bansai's death illustrated, it's basically open season on semi-regulars.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
I was hoping Nobunobu would make it back to Earth and carry out Shigeshige's plan to abolish the shogunate. Since this series usually throws up obvious flags before character deaths, the sudden manner in which he passed was definitely a surprise. I thought there was a good chance he wouldn't make it to the end, but I didn't expect him to go down quite like this - and I certainly never thought I'd be so sad to see him go.

I really dig the way they're weaving the Ryumyaku / Dog Deity stuff into the overarching plot. Makes me wonder if Sorachi had a creative roadmap in place from the get-go or if he decided to make this connection late in the game. Either way, it's a fantastic callback.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Bald men needs to stop worrying about being bald... At least after this episode.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the reviewer had anything negative to say about the visuals in episode 360, it's easily been the best looking episode of silver soul. There was sakuga moment after sakuga moment. Special mention goes to Utsuro vs Hijikata+Sougo, and Utsuro vs shinpachi. Still 90% of the episode looked great, and not really "choppy" as the reviewer called it. Unless you are referring to how much chopping Utsuro was doing, in which case yes, utsuro chopped many, many people.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I think this episode was the most astonish I've ever seen in Gintama ever. I finished the episode realizing that I couldn't barely even breathe.

spoiler[MY DEAR YAMAZAKI, WHAT HAVE UTSURO DONE TO YOU?!?! ;A;!!!]

I LOVE the fighting scenes in this episode. Really, I think this is one of the best episodes of this arc. Amazing.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
Great episode! As far as pure action spectacles go, I enjoyed it even more than the final battle from the second-most-recent Boruto arc, although the latter probably had stronger technical merits. Even with the usual animation shortcuts employed (still shots, pans, etc.), this episode featured some top-tier fight choreography and a handful of beautifully rendered moments. Utsuro is quickly becoming one of my favorite shonen anime final bosses, and I'm hard-pressed to remember the last time I found a villain quite this frightening.

In light of the mass slaughter of Shinsengumi and Seventh Division red shirts, I can't help but wonder if either organization has any non-essential members left. My money's on Yamazaki pulling through, since I don't think Gin would have carried him to safety if he weren't still alive. Also, assuming Sadaharu makes it to the end, I wonder if he'll ever return to his original size?

Was this the first time Shinpachi and Otae's father's full face has been shown?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 35