• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Great episode! As far as pure action spectacles go, I enjoyed it even more than the final battle from the second-most-recent Boruto arc, although the latter probably had stronger technical merits. Even with the usual animation shortcuts employed (still shots, pans, etc.), this episode featured some top-tier fight choreography and a handful of beautifully rendered moments. Utsuro is quickly becoming one of my favorite shonen anime final bosses, and I'm hard-pressed to remember the last time I found a villain quite this frightening.

In light of the mass slaughter of Shinsengumi and Seventh Division red shirts, I can't help but wonder if either organization has any non-essential members left. My money's on Yamazaki pulling through, since I don't think Gin would have carried him to safety if he weren't still alive. Also, assuming Sadaharu makes it to the end, I wonder if he'll ever return to his original size?

Was this the first time Shinpachi and Otae's father's full face has been shown?

Yup, it was! He looks he could have beee a badass back in the day. Sad he didn't have glasses lol.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While this cour's relentless breakneck pacing worked well for the previous installment, it's something of a hindrance this time around, since this episode has so much going on (both literally and thematically) and contains a multitude of important moments that aren't given sufficient time to set in.

I feel like this has intermittently been an issue since the anime began adapting the quadrilogy of endgame arcs. I stopped reading the manga several chapters into Silver Soul, so this material is all new to me, but it's pretty easy to tell that it's condensed. The mad-dash pacing is well-suited to episodes that are purely action-driven, but not so much for episodes that feature game-changing revelations, plot developments, character deaths, etc. To be fair, I understand that working with a limited number of episodes facilitates the need to cram as much material as possible into every half-hour, and I would rather have condensed Gintama than no Gintama, but certain moments don't just pack the intended emotional wallop as a result.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
While watching these fights I realised that this part of Gintama is truly a 00s(sort of starting off in the 90s) Battle Shonen. It is one of those fights were the character bleeds gallons of blood like FMA, Bleach, One Piece and I assume Naruto. I haven't seen that in any of the more recent ones.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
I think I'm feeling kind of cheated by the ending of the battle to defeat Utsuro. We didn't even get to see its actual end (until a brief recap next episode), let alone get any wind down in the immediate aftermath. I would have preferred if they'd given me an ending there, and saved the start of the time skip for this week. It all just feels so incoherent, I can't feel much one way or the other about the battle's end.

Still, that doesn't diminish my delight at Katsura becoming PM. Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I'm feeling kind of cheated by the ending of the battle to defeat Utsuro. We didn't even get to see its actual end (until a brief recap next episode), let alone get any wind down in the immediate aftermath. I would have preferred if they'd given me an ending there, and saved the start of the time skip for this week. It all just feels so incoherent, I can't feel much one way or the other about the battle's end.

Completely agree. I didn't feel much of anything at the end of the Utsuro fight, which was pretty surprising in light of how hard-fought a victory it was. In part, I attribute the incoherence to BNP's approach to adapting the endgame arcs - i.e., cramming as much material as possible into each episode without adding any flourishes to ease the story's transition from manga to anime. This was the manner in which they adapted the previous three arcs (with mixed results), and although I stopped reading the manga a few chapters into Silver Soul, it's pretty clear this is still their preferred method.

My money's on Utsuro still being alive, and I assume Gintoki set off to look for him. Since his life force comes from Earth's Altana, I have a hard time believing that falling into the Gate would kill him. If anything, it might accelerate his healing.
Bruce91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 362.
The gags were funny. But the animation "quality" and still images, oh boi.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote

See, that's how ya do an info-dump. Although there was next to no action, and it was nearly devoid of humor, I never once felt bored watching it. I didn't think it was dropping info too fast to absorb either, and I'm usually pretty slow on the uptake. It just efficiently filled in a ton of blanks, always hitting the sweet spot between too little and too much, and spicing it all with a poignancy that's characteristic of Gintama at its best.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see the season end so abruptly, but I guess it couldn't be helped. If this is indeed the end (and I sincerely doubt it is), I'm glad that it went out on such a deliciously sarcastic, fourth wall break-y note. I enjoy the serious arcs, and I think they serve an important purpose in the series, but stuff like this is what makes Gintama for me. Still, this arc seemed to be going to some very interesting places, and I really hope the rest of the manga receives the anime treatment.

This episode also cleared up a lot of questions I've had for years. I always thought it was weird that the 2015 series jumped right into the endgame arcs, but now I have a definitive answer as to why. I think it's actually a good thing that the staff was misled about the manga's end date, since the anime's revival seemed to be predicated on the manga ending in the near future.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Best ending ever! Laughing

But yeah, it would be a shame if we wouldn't get to see the real ending in some shape or form, be it another season or a (couple of) movie(s).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
At times like this, Gintama feels like the Monty Python of Anime. I have faith that they will bring it back for another season in another year or 2. And hopefully the Gorilla will finish the Manga soon for real.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
That was a beautiful "finale." Very Happy I don't know why, but I've always loved Gintoki in exposition mode, as in the old Ginpachi Sensei bits, and the press conference that opened Gintama°, so this was tailor made for me.

Looking forward to the next installment, whenever it happens. I have no doubt that it will.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was a beautiful "finale." Very Happy I don't know why, but I've always loved Gintoki in exposition mode, as in the old Ginpachi Sensei bits, and the press conference that opened Gintama°, so this was tailor made for me.

Looking forward to the next installment, whenever it happens. I have no doubt that it will.

I wonder what scene they will start with! We had a press conference the last time, now it's a trial, so maybe a talk show is a good idea? Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 35 of 35