• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see how Sasaki has changed from his past self to the current one, I honestly think that if it him was the Sasaki as he is now back then he would have seen the possibility of Sadasada realising that the had a hand in the assassination's interruption. Although back then it seems to me as though he was more 'pure' and (slightly) more quirky and by going through the experience of his wife's assassination and other events his personality has changed and now he wouldn't act bashful at Matsudaira's teasing and of course, can text like a pro Anime smile + sweatdrop .
It's also cool to see Nobume's past and her (lack of) emotions towards things and how even though she's seems to be still the same as the way she was, it feels as though she cares for Sasaki and shed some tears even though she still has to carrying on with the orders he gave her at let him die.
The action sequences were great this week with Hijikata (loved the way he just toseed all those men in the air when arriving) and Sasaki's and Okita and Nobume's fight being hightlighted, although I also did want to see more of Gintoki and Oboro's confrontation and I laughed seeing Elizabeth just knock down those Mimiwarigumi officers Laughing
FruitsPunchSamuraiSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the next big reveal? Oh Amy-san... the next big reveal is "nothing" Wink (manga readers will get it) Be prepared for the next episode... that's all I'll say.
Also Gintama will return without a doubt, either for the Winter season this year or Spring next year (hopefully). What will the next title be? Gintama *, Gintama 2, Gintama Z, Gintama Kai, Gintama (2016) or Gintama (2017). Or Gintama The Finale.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
It'd be great if we got another Enchousen season before the anime comes back long-term. Maybe knock out some of those skipped arcs?
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
I love Gintama's continuing theme of forgiveness for the past/hope for the future. This show is a treasure. If only there were English subtitles on the Blu-ray box sets Sad
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
They've been covering 4 chapters per episode in the last two episodes...if they continue at this rate, that means the next episode will cover the next 4 chapters, which means...Holy crap. It's going to be EPIC. More EPIC than usual. I'm tempted to just skip work the next day, stay up all night to watch episode 314. Dammit, Crunchyroll, why can't you release the new eps at a more godly hour than 3 am???

I feel bad for all those people who gave up on Gintama years ago.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 314

O.O I don't even... Shocked

Yep, sure didn't see that coming. Can't wait for the explanation (hopefully manga readers won't provide one before the anime does, even in spoilers).

Didn't remember Kagura even had any history with Nobume, let alone a close one. One good thing about having a goldfish memory I guess is that everything is a surprise! -_-

Whose hand was that?
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
^Whose hand ? The manga is clearer about that, its from a Naraku Mook.

Anyway this is such an episode where you know people will look up the comment section to see if they werent the only one getting their mind blown off by shock and intrigue. Though really, I have no clue how they are going to beat our new friend here without shenanigans.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I guess I thought Naraku and Gintoki were fighting alone up there on that peak. Everything goes by so fast I can't process it all in one viewing so I get tunnel vision or something. Smile
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
A stellar episode as it's been these last few weeks, nothing to add about it since honestly I already read ahead.

But I do want to point out that I particularly loved the scene in which Utsuro's sword is on Gintoki shoulder. The flashback to present transition is very good, but what got me is that the idea of the scene is you focusing on Utsuro's face, while he is slowly moving the sword, you literally feel like Gintoki right there, without being able to react to the sword.
FruitsPunchSamuraiSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

But I do want to point out that I particularly loved the scene in which Utsuro's sword is on Gintoki shoulder. The flashback to present transition is very good, but what got me is that the idea of the scene is you focusing on Utsuro's face, while he is slowly moving the sword, you literally feel like Gintoki right there, without being able to react to the sword.

Perfectly described. That is probably my favourite scene in the arc. And the way Gintoki yells "Who the hell was that!?" we became Gintoki in that moment. We're just as shocked as he is... or he's probably much more shocked considering all the emotions he's had to go through

Also this episode was given an A but I give it an A+. Not quite there with episode 305 but very close.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
I generally prefer the anime to the manga, and for the most part, I'm satisfied with the way this arc has been adapted - but I think that way too much content has been crammed into the past few episodes. Adapting four chapters in 20-minutes-and-change practically ensures that some of the biggest moments aren't going to pack the same emotional punch. For example, Sasaki finding Nobume/Mukuro on the blood-soaked palanquin and Gintoki breaking Utsuro's mask are impactful moments that simply weren't given sufficient breathing room in this version. This approach also forces the audience to process a ton of condensed information in a very short span of time. Of course, this is probably the only way to fit the series' second longest arc into nine episodes.

The only discernible quasi-joke this week was Elizabeth putting on his/her game face. (Apparently, the suit has its own set of teeth.)
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I generally prefer the anime to the manga, and for the most part, I'm satisfied with the way this arc has been adapted - but I think that way too much content has been crammed into the past few episodes.

For me, the comedy works way better in animated form while there isn't much difference between manga and anime as far as the drama is concerned.

While i do agree that there's been a lot of information to process in this past couple of episodes, i think they adapted the manga pretty faithfully. I don't remember anything major being left out at least. It probably just felt less condensed on a "one chapter per week" basis.

Anhyow, one thing i'm fairly sure of is that next episode will make me cry just as much as the corresponding manga chapter(s). did. Crying or Very sad
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
While i do agree that there's been a lot of information to process in this past couple of episodes, i think they adapted the manga pretty faithfully. I don't remember anything major being left out at least. It probably just felt less condensed on a "one chapter per week" basis.

Oh, they've definitely been faithful. My issue is the harried pace at which the last few installments have presented the material. Personally, I think the latter half of this arc would have been better served by the anime's usual one-to-three-chapters-per-episode format, but I'm sure this is the best they can do with such a limited number of episodes.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
A momment of silence to those who Dropped the Anime during the first episodes.. Did it twice.. now i am a fanatic waiting for the Anime to stop to catch up to the manga and then wait for the final anime adaption...

My Brother's and Sisters.. i love you all!
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Shame the anime series is going to stop soon, I just hope they can put in a good conclusion to the arc before it ends and not leave us on a kinda cliff hanger for probably over a year (I do think it'll be fine but I'm still a teensy bit concerned). Gintoki's fight with Utsuro was really cool as well, I liked the way he was shocked that it was Utsuro's face under the mask but unlike most anime characters do in situation instead of panicking thinking "this can't be true?" and completely shutting down after being shaken for a few seconds he carries on fighting even considering the situation Smile . Kagura jumping in to stop the fight between Nobume and Sogo concluded well also with the three acting as allies when Utsuro comes in (who's extreme healing abilities and teleportation-like speed are uncanny to say the least) and Nobume being able to admit that even though she was order to see it through she really doesn't want Sasaki to die.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 35