• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Love Story!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
That pretty much worked out as I'd expected, and there were a lot of nice little touches along the way. I noticed that Suna never really answered Takeo's question though...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Just read this article about Eguchi and Shimazaki regarding Ore Monogatari!! that I found really interesting: http://mantan-web.jp/2015/09/06/20150905dog00m200028000c.html

Apparently the auditions for Takeo, Suna, and Yamato were different from regular auditions. They were done as "teams" and if even one person in the team didn't make the cut, the others would not make it either.

Also, even at its late timeslot, the series has a 3% viewership. Not bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I kind of felt Yukika could stand a good chance with Suna, but the way things were done was kind of good. Suna mentioned the bird he liked kind of felt like it was in reference to Yukika. But Suna was not full on falling head over heels for her, he really was only just beginning to get to know her. And the expectations she had about him spending any amount of time with him being love, maybe unneeded pressure and kind of not fair. It was better that he remove the pressure and know her as a person rather than some crazily one sided in love girl.

Suna really may be at a time in his life he does not need that sort of thing. And for him, building feelings for someone might be something he might only get from knowing them for a while.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who was creeped out by Ichinose? I liked him in the first half of the episode when he was having his delusions and thinking Yamato had a crush on him, I thought that would be the source of drama this episode. But when he confronted Takeo and says Yamato would be better off with him I was just like... dude? You're 21 and she's 16? SHE'S A MINOR?!

Although I wanted a romantic rival for Takeo, I wish it had come in the shape of someone closer to their age group, because this way, Ichinose -a grown up- crushing on a TEENAGER only gives me the creeps, when I think we're supposed to sort of sympathize with him.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Am I the only one who was creeped out by Ichinose? I liked him in the first half of the episode when he was having his delusions and thinking Yamato had a crush on him, I thought that would be the source of drama this episode. But when he confronted Takeo and says Yamato would be better off with him I was just like... dude? You're 21 and she's 16? SHE'S A MINOR?!

Although I wanted a romantic rival for Takeo, I wish it had come in the shape of someone closer to their age group, because this way, Ichinose -a grown up- crushing on a TEENAGER only gives me the creeps, when I think we're supposed to sort of sympathize with him.

I'm in the same boat as you because I was like BRUH?!!! She's like 15 and you like 21 trying to get caught up on a charge of stat rape all for a similar interest in baking cakes?!!! That was sooooooo annoying and I was actively rooting for her to say my boyfriend from the start but she hesitated and made things inadvertently worse but anyway it was a good episode I'm just sad that it will be gone in 2 weeks.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel a little silly saying this, but Takeo's insecurities took me by surprise. I sort of thought the whole "be my master" business had mitigated it so it wasn't an issue anymore, but seeing Takeo take Ichinose's "criticisms" to heart kind of hurt. And I have to admit, seeing Takeo wonder if he should've dissuaded Yamato from getting a job worried me for a bit ("I have a right to be jealous" story lines always make me nervous), but it was nice seeing him acting mature by puttomg aside those feelings in light of how happy Yamato was about her job.

Though I seriously wanted to tear into Ichinose. What an asshole! I also found it weird that no one went for the obvious choice of just flat out ASKING Yamato how she felt about Ichinose, but hey, gotta' get that drama from somewhere, right? ^^;;;
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dated someone who was 22/23 when I was 16/17. It was a the late 90s but I even took him to the Jr. Prom and no one thought that was crazy. That is kind of how much things have changed since then.

But I get the feeling in Japan (and especially in a fantasy product like an anime) this isn't as big of deal. This was several years ago but when my friend was teaching in the JET program one of the Japanese teachers at his school was dating his 16 year old student and freely admitted it.

You can also look at something like the Cardcaptor Sakura manga where one of the 4th grade classmates legit gets engaged to their teacher (I was flabbergasted by that one).

The original Sailor Moon anime Usagi is 14 and Mamoru is in college.

Anime is an fantasy escapist product and sometimes that fantasy is the older guy. In this case I think they are playing with that idea, where the older guy isn't. So, I don't think it is creepy at all.

I was wondering how they were going to do something exciting for the ending and this is an interesting turn of events. I can't wait for the last episode. I really like this show. Now I have to start reading the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
From what we learn about him, Ichinose seems to be a very talented guy but also a socially awkaward loner. His attraction to Yamato didn't appear to be especially sexual, more like he finally found a like-minded soul who shares his interests and passions.

I might have been more creeped out if his move on her had been something else than asking her to help with the competition. But so far this show has managed to avoid most shoujo clichés, so i'm seriously hoping we won't get the "boyfriend has to rescue girlfriend from being molested by creepy rival" cliché in the final...

Edit: i agree with Brand: in my youth that kind of age difference was pretty common (and legal...), so it doesn't really bother me.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, I believe the age of consent in Japan is 16. But I was still very uncomfortable when he revealed he was 21.

I mean yes, there are couples with 5 or more years' age difference but usually they're both adults by then. It's different when one is still a minor/teenager and the other is in their 20's.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
If I remember correctly, I believe the age of consent in Japan is 16. But I was still very uncomfortable when he revealed he was 21.

I mean yes, there are couples with 5 or more years' age difference but usually they're both adults by then. It's different when one is still a minor/teenager and the other is in their 20's.

Yeah, this is what I was going at. My sister and her husband are nine years apart, it's not the age gap per sé that makes me uncomfortable, but the fact that he's already an adult and she's a teenager :/
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
The reason why this age gap thing urks me soooo much is because of a bad experience I had along those lines (I will forgo the details) and it really messed with me so when I saw this episode I was not happy with that part but like I said earlier it was a very nice episode and was enjoyable nonetheless.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia

Quote:
The Japanese Penal Code sets a minimal age of consent of 13. However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" that forbid "fornication" with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).

The age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys, with parental consent, or 20 otherwise.

The age difference doesn't bother me. When I was 21, my boyfriend was in his final year of high school.

What did bother me was the sense of entitlement that Ichinose had over Rinko. Yes, they probably have a lot in common, but relationships are not always logical. Like those pathetic "men" who feel like they are entitled to women because they think they meet a certain checklist of criteria, and the fact that they are single means that women are flouting their imaginary laws of relationships.

I thought it was weird and inappropriate of Ichinose to flip out and chase after Takeo and say the things he did. But I wonder if the Japanese see this as something a person would reasonably do.

This reminds me of that scene in Maison Ikkoku where Mitaka essentially kidnaps Kyoko and threatens to hold her captive at a hotel until she agrees to be his. He eventually lets her go when she starts to cry, but after that incident, they all act as if what he did was completely normal, and not a felony at all. Yes, Maison Ikkoku was written and set in the 80s, but after this episode of Oremonogatari, I wonder if the Japanese still don't bat an eye at things that Western cultures would consider highly inappropriate.

Edit: wow, who knew "people I disagree with politically" would be censored on these forums...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
man this is one of those shows that's so sweet it gives you diabetes. The ending was super predictable but I did like how they handled it, Ichinose definitely has a huge ego but at least he took his loss like man and accepted it rather than self destruct like what happens in a lot of similar stories.

I really wish the manga was further along in translations, the anime passed it a long time ago.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty glad it went so low-key in this episode, it made me buy the situation much more, and the previous episode wasn't ready to build up quite a big emotional climax, with this rival that appeared in only the previous episode and that's it. The predisposition to sweetness and comedy also made him much more pathetic about his foolish ambitions and therefore likeable. Incredibly predictable though, yes, that's the negative, but being this low-key and enjoyable I don't mind, that's a pretty good final note and Takeo and Yamato's scenes here were too much. Also, Suna screaming.

And with that, I had a great time with this show and I greatly enjoyed it. It was mostly fluff with some pretty neat storylines with great uncommon messages for anime standards, and it succeeded in both of them, Takeo and Yamato's couple is adorable, Takeo and Suna's friendship is adorable, Takeo's parents are adorable, and so and so forth, it's probably the cutest thing I've ever seen in anime (in manga Yotsuba wins).

P.S: LOL, now a set of rules appears to remind you when you're writing your post, are things going savage? Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Huh, "Teh Rules" are now listed at the top of the page when you make a post??

Anyway, can we please get an announcement for a second season already?? It was nice to see Yamato choose Takeo again, and the way he called her by her first name near the end was so adorable~!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11