• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Love Story!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B00m23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I dislike about this show is that so far Yamato's character literally revolves around her cooking. There isn't much to her; she feels like a vehicle more than an actual individual.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice episode, but they really have got to stop with the trope of dropping things on Takeo's head to move the plot along. This time it seemed like an especially deus ex way to resolve the conflict.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep.3-4 made me glad that this is a shoujo romance, since despite the many flaws romances aimed at girls tend to have, I know if this was a shounen romance we'd have had twelve episodes of Takeo trying to hook up Rinko & Maketo before suddenly he sees the light & love is had by all (or nothing happens & we get a read the manga ending). The restaurant fire was silly but we already had Takeo dead lift a steel pylon & a heart to heart talk in front of a bum tree, so it was hardly out of place.

The only thing about Takeo & Rinko now being an item is it almost makes the first three episodes feel almost like a separate, self contained story. My concern with 20 episodes left is that it's now going to settle down into a event of the week structure where nothing really happens until the penultimate act where something causes their relationship (or Takeo & Maketo's) to seem like it's going to end, only for them to get through it, share I love yous & kiss for the finale. Hopefully that won't be the case.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
The only thing I dislike about this show is that so far Yamato's character literally revolves around her cooking. There isn't much to her; she feels like a vehicle more than an actual individual.

I agree here. She is adorable, but enough with the baking! When Yamato said she was going to bake cakes for the next day, all I could think is "You know how much time it takes to bake cakes like that? You're going to go home late after a long outing with your friends and bake cakes all night? Do even have time to do your homework??"

Of course, it could be a cute moment down the line when suddenly Yamato realizes the basis for her and Takeo's relationship is food. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Is this me or that screenshot somehow gives you an impression that he looks like Mohammed Avdol from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusader?
ichii_1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ep.4 - They rearranged some chapters :'(
It was a good move otherwise it wouldn't fit right and they'll be adapted next ep.

Gear 2nd full body flame mode Anime hyper

Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode #4:

When Sunakawa Makoto said this line:

I remembered in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.'s Hikigaya Hachiman quote about nice girls:

*Seiyū Eguchi Takuya voices the lead in both shows.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Is this me or that screenshot somehow gives you an impression that he looks like Mohammed Avdol from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusader?

I thought the same thing when I saw it as the screengrab on Crunchyroll before I watched the episode. It was part of why I used it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Just when I thought this show was starting to get dull, My Love Story introduces a couple of intriguing wrinkles. I feel again invested and want to see what happens next. Keep up the good work.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ep #5:

When I first saw Ai appear on screen, I jokingly said to myself, "Oh look, a love rival." At least, I thought I was joking. And honestly, when she first heard about Takeo's girlfriend and started getting upset, I still thought she was pulling her brother's leg. Even now I kind of think it's all one big, strange act. Otherwise, this is extremely [expletive] stupid. I could maybe accept it if we were shown something about their history that might reasonably bring them to this, but the little we were shown made her look much more like a big sister/babysitter type without anything to suggest there may be more. To have such a typical and poorly-conceived love rival thrown into this show haphazardly is quite disappointing.

So yeah, good review. My thoughts exactly. I'm also kind of hoping that Yamato's "secret" is more than just "I want you to kiss me."

Hopefully they'll ditch her and we can go back to being a superhero show.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer's impressions of Ai are disgustingly misguided, down to the very act of labeling her a ''love rival''. I've enjoyed reading through the reviews up to this point, so that's pretty disappointing.
Irru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Love rival? Really? They're already dating and if you had any common sense then you would have seen that Takeo is head over heels, and only has eyes for Yamato.

He didn't even react in a special way when he saw Ai. He just greeted her like a normal friend.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The episode 5 review had no mention of how ADORABLE Takeo looked in Suna's P.E. clothes. This should be rectified, stat! Wink

I have no problems with Suna's sister and didn't think of her as a rival at all.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, Ai didn't act like a love interest in the "I'm pining for him" sense. I got the older sister vibe who has affection for him and understands Takeo and would be hurt if he was being taken advantage of. We've seen too little of the character to try and shoehorn her into the "love rival" role.

Might she be a little jealous because she's been an influencing female in his life and doesn't want that taken away? Possibly. But that's reading into things and yet just as plausible in my view.

Once the story develops more, we'll actually be shown Ai's real motivations, but it's just too soon to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I could maybe accept it if we were shown something about their history that might reasonably bring them to this, but the little we were shown made her look much more like a big sister/babysitter type without anything to suggest there may be more.

They'll probably do this in the next episode. They was a foreshadowing scene in this one that ties to it spoiler[when she walks by the flower shop.].

As for the age difference between the two of them, Takeo is a freshman in high school (in Japan, this is 10th grade) so he's probably 15-16. Ai is in college, so she's at least 19 but they draw her in such an older, sophisticated way that she looks like she's in her 20s.

The age difference is does raise some red flags but I thought her methods of getting a glimpse of Takeo's girlfriend wasn't creepy. I mean in real life it definitely would be, but it just seemed over-the-top silly in this instance.

Takeo does a decent job summing up Ai's character though. She's good at heart and definitely not a scheming, manipulative type.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11