• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Disappearance of Nagato Yuki chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll re-write the Ep 15-16 review:

A very pretty and well drawn nothing burger.

There I'm done.

Damn but each year I have a harder and harder time dealing with this mopey lover's indecisiveness. This was like the endless-8 loop in one episode.

And it didn't help that they kept bringing artifacts out of that infamous arc.

Definitely not the high point in this anime.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Episode #16:

I liked the ending; while it didn't brought any "real" closure or conclusion, it did resolved Kyon's uncertainty regarding on how to handle the confession of "Nagato Yuki", while still maintaining a friendly (peer) relationship with Nagato Yuki. As far as SoL shows go, I thought that the ending was acceptable (note: not the best one, but still an OK one), and the wink-and-nod to the Endless Eight arc was a nice touch.

I hope that the rest of the material will be adapted.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #16:

I liked the ending; while it didn't brought any "real" closure or conclusion, it did resolved Kyon's uncertainty regarding on how to handle the confession of "Nagato Yuki", while still maintaining a friendly (peer) relationship with Nagato Yuki. As far as SoL shows go, I thought that the ending was acceptable (note: not the best one, but still an OK one), and the wink-and-nod to the Endless Eight arc was a nice touch.

I hope that the rest of the material will be adapted.

The problem, I'd say, is that while it does resolve Kyon's uncertainty over the two Yukis, it's only serving to resolve a plot point that didn't even exist until three episodes prior. Ultimately, the last seven episodes, despite including the most engaging stories of the series, end up doing little more than resetting things to the same state they were in for the first nine.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the series; I'll likely check out the manga to see where (if anywhere) the rest of the story ends up. But it's definitely a show I wanted to like more than I did. The almost frustrating lack of forward momentum, coupled with the over-reliance on callbacks to the original series*, kept it from being as good as it could/should have been.

*(In all honesty, I think the most serious callback problem was probably Haruhi herself. Of all the things that felt shoehorned in just because they were in the original, Haruhi probably had the least reason to actually be in this story (well, Koizumi, too, but he barely did anything) and did the most to distract from Yuki and Kyon, which should have been much more the focus than it ended up being.) (By the end of the Disappearance arc, I realized that storyline barely (if at all) featured Haruhi, Mikuru, Tsuruya, or Koizumi. Not only did I not miss them, I thought the story was better for their absence...)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Never really bought into Nagato Yuki as a love interest. Always liked Haruhi.

But one Nagato Yuki wasn't even enough, now they needed two. Even with all that still nothing happens.

Haruhi needs to put everyone back in their places, and drag Kyon away with her.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15
This is basically a very "summery" episode. The Literature Club breaks for the summer. Haruhi goes over the activity checklist for the summer break, the details get sorted out, and the episode cuts to the beach. Kyon and Koizumi have a conversation about uninhabited islands, closed circles, murder mysteries, and how Haruhi would be the only person to enjoy those things. Then the girls join them after changing to their swimwear. Kyon and Koizumi have their go at complimenting them. Kyon's little sister somehow made herself into the summer group. Haruhi suggests a swimming race to a seemingly "little island" that is undoubtedly tens of miles away. The gang later plays hit the watermelon with a baseball bat while wearing a blindfold. Kyon and Koizumi serve as obstacles in the game. Ryoko later kicks a beach ball and it lands at least a hundred yards away. Kyon and Nagato find themselves going to where the beach ball landed and having to play ball. In this moment we notice more of Kyon's awkwardness towards Nagato which is then further exacerbated by the meddling of Kyon's little sister. The summer group is next seen having dinner at night and discuss about having a "test of courage" for the next day. The next day the club moves to the site where they'll have their test of courage. Since it's still daytime they kill time by having a cicada catching contest. Haruhi places first while Kyon places dead last. Night falls and groups are divided for the test of courage. I don't want to spoil what happens later. Nothing too amazing though, but still worth watching.

Like I said before, this was a very "summery" episode.

Episode 16
The first half of the episode focuses more on Kyon's uncertainty towards Nagato. We get to see more of Haruhi and her antics, and more "summery activities". About the first thing we see after a monologue is Kyon getting a call from Haruhi telling him to meet with the group at the cafe that they frequent. At the cafe Haruhi hums the tune from the first opening of original Haruhi anime and goes over the summer checklist, crossing off the items they've already completed. The group is shown at the batting cages and then the bowling alley. Koizumi addresses Kyon's uncertainty towards Nagato with a subtle advice. Few items are left in the summer checklist, and more importantly the plot moves forward next with the fireworks festival. In short just as they're there and the fireworks display begins, spoiler[Kyon grabs Nagato's hand and takes her away to say something.] After this, Haruhi forces out a smile and suggests to Ryoko about having a shooting contest while there in the fireworks festival. Everyone at the festival gawks at the fireworks except for Haruhi who gives her back to the fireworks display, and Kyon and Nagato spoiler[which step outside the festival. Kyon gives his response to the confession of the "other Nagato" and then he returns back to normal.] This is the climax for the anime this season and things fall back into place again, just like one could expect. The episode ends on a nostalgic note, saluting the original Haruhi anime and especially with the reference to time-travelers, aliens, espers. The episode is very much worth watching if you understand that this is about the half-point in the manga. The resolution falls well within reason even if the build up might cause you to feel ultimately underwhelmed. I think the anime might've hinted another season because of all the references they made to E8 and then the question at the end about whether Kyon finished his homework. Although, I find it unlikely that there will be another season because the manga *will possibly end before they could make another season for the anime. Still, I'm crossing fingers for season two.

Both episodes are packed with a lot of content and the anime adaptation was much better and more nuanced than the manga. They did the best possible within limits to make the adaptation seem more of a resolution and then give off a sense of moving forward, since it only covers up to volume five of the manga. The anime to me was a striking success and got me interested in the manga. If you found it mundane and made it this far into the anime, then you've completely forgotten the point of this spinoff anime/manga.

The last two episodes accomplished exactly what they set out to do and they get a deserving 4.7/5.

*For those that haven't found out yet, the manga is confirmed for three more volumes and the ninth volume will be released on October 26th, 2015. I have yet to clarify if the ninth volume is included in the three unreleased volume count but I bet that they'll go for the even number 12 total volumes.

*EDIT: There was mistake in translation and the only thing confirmed was that there are three volumes of the manga currently available which cover the story where the anime left off. When the manga will end is still indefinite.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad watch overall, but I've always liked the series. The similarities to Endless Eight gave me a sense of dread, and I ended up appreciating that they played that up in the final moments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6