• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [2015-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I would really enjoy learning more about Totsuka. He just brightens my day whenever he's on screen (which is all too rare), and I just know there's a backstory there waiting to be told. Very Happy
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
What does Hayama mean when he says that he compliments Hachiman for his, Hayama's, own sake?
thofheinz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Chrysostamus -- I think the "compliment" statement meant that having lost a rivalry, complimenting his former rival is an honorable thing to do in the kind of polite society Hayama values.

By now, it's clear to me that the "rivalry" between Hayama and Hachiman is for Yukinon, from Hayama's point of view. Hachiman can't imagine it, but he may be the only one. What happened, we'll never know, but I've inferred by Episode 11 that a connection between Yukinon and Hayama in their mutual family histories (a planned marriage?) has come and gone, except for Hayama (remember his statement in Season 1 that the woman he cared for had a name that started with "Y"?). Whatever happened, he had already lost his chance with her, which is how and why he can imagine Hachiman as a rival in the first place, not out of condescension but out of a kind of desperate ambition.

So what is the change in Yukinon he sought and that finally happened? Warmth, equanimity, affirmation of his presence in their talk at the end of the episode. How did that happen? Hachiman. Hayama got what he wanted because he lost. Hachiman is from all appearances undeserving, but he is winning Yukinon, while Hayama ironically understands his own "superiority", but he'll never have her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
LOL at everyone hanging back to run alongside Totsuka! Best part of the episode. I assume he came in second. Very Happy

Was he kind of blushing when Hachiman said he could rely on him? It was kind of hard to tell. He usually seems oblivious to people's reactions to him, but I guess he's actually not at all, since he understood what Hachiman wanted from him in the race.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 12 quite a bit; I would have no problem giving it an A grade.
Nick wrote:
The scene was light, which wasn't a problem, but it felt unnaturally heavy-handed in its adherence to genre bits, and the characters often felt like they were “playing to type” more than acting as fully realized people, making it one of the weakest segments of this second season.

I like when SNAFU has silly and formulaic scenes because they are a welcome breather from all the heavy drama in this second season. I want to enjoy this show without having a heart attack.

And I disagree that that scene is the weakest segment of this second season.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I find it annoying the way Haruno constantly tells Yukino how she finds certain dark parts of her "cute" literally every time she appears on screen. This is also the part of the show that straights up shoves these character insecurities down the audiences' throat, I think it would have been more natural if they were done in a more subtle fashion.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Haruno is a jerk.

Thank GOD someone finally said that. I HATE her so goddamn much. She's such a terrible sister. She likes conflict just for the sake of it. I also hate how she treats Yuigahama as a third wheel. And since she's in college, why is she spending so much time at her sister's school.
Personally, I think she is jealous of Yukinoshita. She feels inferior to her, so she goes out of her way to mess with her. Why she would be I have no idea though.
Seriously girl, get a life. Or at least get some friends.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I swear to god, if this show doesn't end up with someone slapping the hell out of Haruno, I'll be pretty damn pissed.

Yeah, I can't stand her. I seriously can't. She acts like she knows what everyone's thinking and that she can judge them and mock them as much as she wants. Really, she's just there to make her sister's life a mess! I even suspect she's jealous: Yukino is starting to trust people and make friends, something that Haruno was probably too prideful to do.

But otherwise, I actually thought this episode was fun. It's ok to see them in their usual shenanigans, specially after many drama-heavy episodes.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
anoother week another nice episode (and review) of "my teen romantic..."

my only disagreement with Nick's review is how he keeps insisting on disregarding Iroha's action as mere "trolling", I really enjoy his reviews on this series and find them very interesting and insightful but i think it has become very obvious by now that she does indeed like hachiman.

yes, since the begining she has been showcased as a playful characther but they are practically spoon-feeding us that she developed feelings for him (which is fun considering she spoon fed him this episode).

now that review touches the issue of yukino's sister i think it is a good time to point out one of my few issue of the series. why do hikki in particular puts off with yukino's sister so much? i know he probably concludes that he can learn something (even if only information) by going along with ther, but we have seen him literally going out of his way to go meet with her inmidiately after being called on his cellphone. i mean, dude i know you have more self respect than that. do you really have absolutely nothing planned to do that you will ride your bike on demand to whatever cafe she randomly asked you to come? (where btw you should know by experience is in order to set you up with someone). sometimes it just feels like a plot device
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not just him. Hayato comes when she calls, too, as does Yukino, when Hachiman is held hostage. I think they're afraid of openly defying her, with the (not unwarranted) belief that she could make things pretty bad, and a straight-up confrontation telling her off is beyond all these characters' social capabilities.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's not just him. Hayato comes when she calls, too, as does Yukino, when Hachiman is held hostage. I think they're afraid of openly defying her, with the (not unwarranted) belief that she could make things pretty bad, and a straight-up confrontation telling her off is beyond all these characters' social capabilities.

you are spot on. everytime that situations happens i think to myself "dude, what are you afraid of? that she will move some strings to get your parents fired? that she will hire some thugs to trash your house? (this examples might sound a little radical but something about her voice really makes me as a viewer feel threatened, kudos to her VA i guess) i know she is smart, rich and influential but i dont think she will actually try to harm them or do something ilegal because her playthings told her to f*ck off. if anything she would lose all interest in them, forget them and move on into her next plaything

she might straight out be a manipulative jerk but she is smarter than risking being sued over harrasement
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
you are spot on. everytime that situations happens i think to myself "dude, what are you afraid of? that she will move some strings to get your parents fired? that she will hire some thugs to trash your house? (this examples might sound a little radical but something about her voice really makes me as a viewer feel threatened, kudos to her VA i guess) i know she is smart, rich and influential but i don't think she will actually try to harm them or do something ilegal because her playthings told her to f*ck off. if anything she would lose all interest in them, forget them and move on into her next plaything

she might straight out be a manipulative jerk but she is smarter than risking being sued over harrasement

I can only assume there are Japanese social aspects at play here that us Westerners (well, I am one, anyway) don't get. The fact that everyone seems willing to allow her play her cruel little games without upbraiding her is... it just seems unnatural to me, but not, I am guessing, to Japanese people. It'd be nice if someone could tell us if were missing something here.
Folkstad Ohm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
#839994 wrote:
Haruno is a jerk. ...

Personally, I think she is jealous of Yukinoshita. ... Why she would be I have no idea though.

I'll take a guess: Haruno probably greatly resents her own position vs. Yukino's: As the older sister she's expected to represent the family and play a certain role, regardless of what she herself might want. In contrast Yukino is exempted from such family duties and indulged to the point of being allowed to live alone, out from under the immediate supervision of her parents (especially her mother). If there was in fact some sort of inter-family understanding (whether an arranged marriage or something less) regarding Yukino and Hayama, Yukino was able to escape that as well.

Due to considerations of social and family hierarchy Haruno can't strike back at those most directly responsible for her situation, namely her parents, so she punches down instead of up--and due to those same considerations Yukino pretty much has to endure it (as do her friends).
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Due to considerations of social and family hierarchy Haruno can't strike back at those most directly responsible for her situation, namely her parents, so she punches down instead of up--and due to those same considerations Yukino pretty much has to endure it (as do her friends).[/quote]

That does make a lot of sense, now that I think about it..., 19 years old is pretty young to have so much responsibility foisted upon you... but I still don't like it. I wish she could be honest and open up to Yukinoshita instead of trying to tear her away from the first true friends she had ever had.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
So Yui turns down chance to walk home with Hachiman because she doesn't think it would be "fair." That's nice of her but doesn't that pretty much amount to a confession and why would Hachiman not recognize or respond to it?

So what reason does Hachiman use for not wanting to pair up with any of the pretty cute girls obviously in his orbit? Is it:

1. He doesn't really know.
2. He knows but is clinging to denial.
3. He doesn't want to break up the "group" (The Haganai-Next route)
4. He is really gay.

Any other options?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8