• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [2015-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I believe a part of him does suspect that there may be affection for him. He does question the meaning of certain actions and events. Unfortunately, the self preservation instincts that he has developed are his biggest roadblock. He fights to convince himself that that he is mistaken about the true meaning of obvious signals. He is his own worst enemy.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
He already has responded. Yui turned him down for a date when they were walking to the clubroom at the beginning of the episode. In fact, all throughout that clubroom conversation you can see subtle indicators of Yui's fear that taking him up on the offer is going to hurt their group's dynamic. (I disagree with Nick and think that first half was a lot more significant than just shenanigans. Look how uncomfortable she is about saying she'll give him chocolate, and how relieved she looks when Hachiman mentions his sister as a way out of the conversation, or how she says she understands how Hayato feels about chocolate-giving.)
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you about the episode. There is a lot going on in the background concerning Yui. Her facial expressions throughout the episode show her distress concerning the situations and comments that occur. She really is in turmoil. She is the glue that holds so many together. Just like Hachiman though, it seems to usually be at the cost of her own happiness. (There have been a few times in this season when Hachiman has done things for her benefit, but he is still struggling internally, as are the other two.)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Apparently that's a thing on Reddit

"Because he's the hero anime deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Hachiman."
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Nick wrote:
This was a fitting end to an insightful and emotionally rich series. SNAFU's second season has risen above all the faults of the first to emerge as a piercing, evocative exploration of not just adolescent identity, but trust and identity in general. I'm sad to see it go, yet somehow feel encouraged by how far these lovably unlovable characters have come.

Great paragraph. I pretty much feel the same about this second season of SNAFU.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
For me this was the best anime of the season, seriously so many things that happened and I really HATE Yuki's sister.
Can someone tell me were can I read the LN and at what chapter/volume did the anime left off.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:
For me this was the best anime of the season, seriously so many things that happened and I really HATE Yuki's sister.
Can someone tell me were can I read the LN and at what chapter/volume did the anime left off.

It's fully caught up with the Light Novel. The last two episodes were Volume 11 and that was released like this month or the last one.
That said both seasons of the anime cut a bunch of stuff from the novels (mostly comedy relief but not only that) so you could just read from the start and still see new things.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Very insightful review. This was my favorite show of the season, and it's very, very sad to see it go.

Now, the question is... S3 when? This season will probably do good enough in sales, the light novels are still going strong, and besides, this clearly wasn't an ending intended to leave things as they are.

It may take a while, as they seem to have burned through most of the original material, even volume 11 which came out 3 days ago, that is, a single day before the final episode actually aired, but I hope we get to see Hachiman and co. again sometime soon.
skaly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
These reviews helped me appreciate the show on a deeper level. They were able to articulate some of the confusing emotions the show evoked.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So Yui turns down chance to walk home with Hachiman because she doesn't think it would be "fair." That's nice of her but doesn't that pretty much amount to a confession and why would Hachiman not recognize or respond to it?

So what reason does Hachiman use for not wanting to pair up with any of the pretty cute girls obviously in his orbit? Is it:

1. He doesn't really know.
2. He knows but is clinging to denial.
3. He doesn't want to break up the "group" (The Haganai-Next route)
4. He is really gay.

Any other options?

or you know, maybe, they just are not his type

to be honest on both seasons he hasn't really commented or reflected about a single thing he speciallly (as in a romantic way) likes about them. we have seen his path towards acepting his feelings of wanting to have friends, and it is now clear that he sees them as his precious friends, but he hasn't really thought "oh i really find yui (or yukino) very interesting, i want o know more about her, posibly becoming intimate with her"

the closest he has talked about this issue is thinking that sensei was his type, and i dont see much of a resemblance between her and his club mates

some people just dont like getting a girlfriend for the sake of having one, i would think hachiman is one of those
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think of Yui as a nice girl and I've thought that from the first episode of the first season. Yes, she's overly nice to those she values but that's not being nice, that's being sensible.

To put it bluntly, the animal metaphor for Yui and Yukino are still valid even now and Yui has both bark and bite to her character, while still remaining utterly loyal to those she choose whether they deserve or not.

Yes, she's a dog. Makes that first episode kind of literal, huh? Dogs are not nice, they're loyal. She yells, she's moody and the only character she pushes with these tools seems to be Hachiman; She's so good at it, I wonder if she has his user manual somewhere. As I said somewhere else, she's taming him, from feeding him and getting him used to her presence then her touch and then, finally, getting him to want to be near her. Pure manipulation, that's calculating and certainly not nice. A nice girl would change herself to suit him, you'd think?

As to what Hachiman thinks of either girl, he thinks Yukino is beautiful but he likes talking to her more than actually liking her. She's still not all the likable. He initially thought of Yui as a dumb, loud girl... then a nice girl... then a friend and this was how he felt towards her up to 2/3's of the first season. Then his reactions get complicated; Yui was the first person he didn't compalin to about invading his personal space at the endof season 1 and it only goes downhill from there in the second season; He's staring over there at Hayama's group, he's not staring at her, he's not helping her, he's helping his sister, he thinks Saika's the cutest girl but knows he's still a boy-oh, Yui, hello.

He only noticed he was leaning over Saika after Yui left. Yeah, he may be fighting it every step of the way but he's also giving in. It doesn't even take that long.

Considering his middle school crush, I think his problem is he doesn't know what feelings he should act on combined with his distrust of direct emotions and declarations.

If he thinks his teacher is a catch, does he even know what love is? He was attracted more to her vulnerability in that scene while her more normal masculine traits such as drinking, smoking, driving fast cars and physical abuse are glossed over for that one scene. You know, the reasons why he thinks she's not married.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As I said somewhere else, she's taming him, from feeding him and getting him used to her presence then her touch and then, finally, getting him to want to be near her. Pure manipulation, that's calculating and certainly not nice. A nice girl would change herself to suit him, you'd think?

Huh, you brought up a lot of good points in your comment but since Saika and Sensei are side characters, I'm just going to tackle the Yuigahama one. What you said about her taming him rings bell with reality- you know the cliche that some women want to fix bad boys. And Yui is more clever and sly than her "cute dumb girl archetype" would seem to allow. But the problem is that the Hachiman of the first half of the season is broken, carrying dark thoughts about the futility of relationships. Yui recognizes this. For a "nice girl" to change for someone they know have issues does not entail kindness, it entails submission. If Yui and Yukino had just accepted Hikki's flaws without contradicting him, whose know how many years it would have taken before he met someone to break him out of his shell. Of course, I have no idea where the line between allowing yourself to be changed and accepting who you are plays into relationships( I don't know much about being a good friend, after all), but I do know that there is a balance. I don't think being a nice girl would mean that Yui would allow her ideals to be steamrolled by Hikki's. I might be being biased because I love all the characters, but I think my comment makes sense.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
And also, great end to the series. I know a lot of people in the online forums were predicting that Yui would confess to Hachiman, but I'm glad she didn't. While it would have been a dramatic end to the series, it would have torn their friendship apart. Hikki and Yukino aren't like Hayama, he is able to keep up a relationship with Iroha knowing that she likes him, but they take their relationships closer to the heart. I think this romcom is going to end with all of them staying as friends and finding different lovers in the future.

Anyways, hoping for that light novel translation to come out. If any of you are interested, a volunteer at kyakka.wordpress called Excorcism( sometimes spyro) has translations for volumes 1 through 10 on his website and the first chapters of volume 11 already out. Check it out if you're interested. And thank the translator too!

Fingers crossed for an Oregairu movie to end the series!
moonshine101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
This anime is the best romcom ever created, literally. It is on a whole another level of quality. Everything about this anime in my eyes is just perfect. I want to forget the entire thing and rewatch it again and again it is that good.

I actually got depressed when I finished the final episode of season 2 as I didn't want it to end. I hope to dear god that it gets another season when it has enough content to go off of. I would happily buy the DVD's to assist in getting another season, which I very rarely do
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
A nice girl would change herself to suit him, you'd think?

Good lord, I hope that just came out wrong or something, because that is a seriously foul sentiment. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8