• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think teenage anime fans are harming the industry?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@StrangeIslands
So the actual problem is that you are upset that Kodansha is not going to publish anymore Pumpkin Scissors in the US. That is a strange title to obsess over, but to each his own.

This has nothing to do with either teenagers or popular series. Simply stated Del Ray was not selling enough copies of Pumpkin Scissors for Kodansha to keep publishing it. Neither teenagers or their favorite shows prevented people from buying the book. There simply wasn't enough interest. Sorry, but that is simply how the publishing business works. It isn't fair and in many cases probably wasn't justified but that is the way it is.

Over in the manga forum we have a list of dozens of manga titles that are incomplete. Most of them have fans that wish they were continued. The only thing I can suggest is that you give up and move on. Life is too short to worry about such things.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Of course. Their empty pockets are nore dangerous than ionising radiation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
I'll put a few things into perspective. I don't hate popular titles but rather the fans who obsess over them to the point of ignoring everything else. I enjoyed Attack on Titan a lot and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season and it deserves the attention. But like Pumpkin Scissors among other underrated titles, this sort of treatment for 2nd seasons are only given to shows like SAO, Attack on Titan etc.
Attack on Titan and the original Sword Art Online were both two cours from the get-go. They both sold insanely well to the J-otaku, who are the folks I mentioned earlier who pay out the ass for anime: $70 for a single volume of 2 episodes(though two-cour productions are usually three episodes); Americans don't spend shit compared to them and are completely unable to influence what gets made except in the rare case an American company gets involved in the production committee directly - which, not counting wholly original productions, is the second season of Big O.
Quote:
Add this along with fans who don't express much interest in particular titles to be released unless they're really popular and we have a problem. When I talk about a popularity contest, I talk about how the industry only seems to pay attention to popular titles that teens happen to be obsessed with. I mean no disrespect to teens. (But dammit they sure are annoying at times)
You're blaming the wrong people - series naturally have a drop-off between volumes, so without a dedicated fanbase, a series won't continue being published. Pumpkin Scissors just failed to have enough of a fanbase - it happens.
Quote:
To make a long story short, teens and the industry paying too much attention to certain fans are to blame for these problems. The manga/anime industry doesn't have to be like Hollywood and be mainstream but they should appeal to all of the fanbase, which happens to be a diverse audience with all kinds of different people and all kinds of opinions and views on the entertainment which they consume.
Have you looked at Sentai's catalogue? They publish damn near everything that comes out of Japan. Manga publishers have to be pickier since their wares have a lower price and face the added cost of having to deal with retail stores in meaningful amounts - Barnes and Noble is still a massive outlet for them.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
But like Pumpkin Scissors among other underrated titles, this sort of treatment for 2nd seasons are only given to shows like SAO, Attack on Titan etc.

Pumpkin Scissors did have 24 episodes. That was not a bad run and it is the equivalent of two season the way that shows are typically made now. And, as I said in my previous post, the manga is still being published so we might get more anime.

Quote:
the industry only seems to pay attention to popular titles that teens happen to be obsessed with

I do not think that this is true.
When I look at what is being sold and streamed I see shows of all different types. It seems to me that there is something for everybody, and every fetish.

Quote:
To make a long story short, teens and the industry paying too much attention to certain fans are to blame for these problems.

What exactly are these problems?
What is happening that you think should not be happening? Or what is not happening that you think should be happening?
What is it that you want?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think teenagers are harming the industry. I do think all the anime coming out that is focused on high school is.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I find it slightly ironic that OP is using Pumpkin Scissors as an example despite that title being undoubtedly shonen. You know, targeted at teenagers. Oh and most of those popular titles are shonen.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
"All men are created equal"

They the right to enjoy whatever anime that they like. Just because your opinion of what's a good anime is different, it doesn't mean your opinion is right. In our society, whoever get more votes is right. This means popular anime = good anime by default because if you create polls, those anime will get many votes.

as for Pumpkin Scissors, maybe it's just not a good anime. Have you consider that? You have to be more open. You need to know why some anime are popular and some are not. AoT or SAo are two different anime, they both popular for different reason.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wait till you get to my age, and you're not just yelling, "Hey you kids, stay off my lawn" to not just teens, but to millennials as well, with their Evangelion and their... dratts what do millennials pop wood over? Koi Kaze. GET OFF MY LAWN, WANKERS!!

I wont even get in to what cr@p my kids watch! No, wait, ya already did!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
As its been said before, the more kids watching animation now, the more educated animation fans in the future and thus a bigger local market for the good stuff. Of course, the good stuff like Haibane Renmei, Kaiba and Shirobako will tend be relegated to small groups of people who know the real deal. This is natural in fact: movies are the same, videogames are the same, books are the same, manga is the same.

This applies to anything in fact both in the arts and sciences as well, for instance, even in the field I am working professionally on right now, theoretical economics, the number of people who actually understand the stuff well (and just copy and paste from textbooks/articles) numbers around a couple thousand worldwide. Very Happy complaining about the ignorance of the masses, specially the young masses, is jist a laughable waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well...Teenagers the right to enjoy whichever sort of anime shows they like, popular or not. Some titles will reach mass popularity, others won't have the same level of success as them; if anything, they will be a few shows that will simply end up not garnering enough interest to sell well. Why waste time worrying about what the people at large watch and just enjoy the shows that you like instead?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2