• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako and the Struggle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
That was a great article,Mr. Creamer. I'd love to see a behind the scenes anime do something with a co-production with an American animation company. I think that would be a interesting thing to see. What do you guys think?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I have only managed to get into the entertainment business once, and I found out that my position was basically just unpaid work--I was able to get onto IMDb as a crew member, but I couldn't discern anything about how Hollywood works, how people get in, how people advance, or any useful advice from anybody because the other people I worked with were vying for promotions too and wouldn't give me any information. Hence, I was stuck as an unpaid intern for the whole time I was there. (I did learn a lot about what happens during shooting and post-production though.) From what I can gather, it's entirely about who you know, and unfortunately, I don't really know anybody. I graduated from college with the idea that getting a degree means getting a job. That's what my counselor in high school told me, and that's what the department head at college told me. I learned it was more complicated than that directly.

Hence, what goes on in Shirobako is stuff I haven't really experienced firsthand, or at least the financial side of it. As I'm still doing minimum-wage work looking for another door in, that they've found paid work puts them ahead of me.

Galap wrote:
What ‘safe’ bet can you make in terms of careers? Even if you found something ‘safe’, if it wasn’t what you wanted initially, would you be pleased with yourself, proud of yourself then? I’ve heard those ‘bad’ things about almost every field. So you should choose to do what interests you most. Plus, interest level is the best predictor of talent, so you’re most likely to succeed at what you’re interested in. The aggravations seem a lot more potent if you don’t think what you’re doing has a point.

The thing is, everything is temporary, even your life. There are no safe bets in life. Everyone alive today is on track to meet an untimely demise, and at the end of the day, what really matters is what you were able to do, how you were able to affect the world. Those of us who find ourselves sitting on a big pile of satisfaction at the end are those who just went for it, rather than worrying about the Bad Things happening. And the Bad Things tend to be much less likely and much less bad than people think they are.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of parents who try to pressure their kids into taking lines of work they feel are both high-paying and low-risk, such as medicine or engineering. (Hence, stuff like politics, business, and law are out, as they're high-risk.) The former is definitely a high-risk set of occupations as people's lives are on the line, and the latter is a high-stress field where you have to hit the ground running.

As my high school had a gifted program, I saw a lot of parents like that. (Mine were also like that, to an extent.) Currently, among them, few have truly found happiness in what they're doing, some decided to go against their parents' wishes because they're fed up with them, and many are not even close to the industry they or their parents intended them to be in.

My family comes from a country whose culture puts harsh social penalties on failure: People in that country are remembered for the things they failed at, so in order to get by, you have to succeed every time. This leads to extremely little risk being taken, and as a result, its creative businesses are either almost nonexistent or finds success only in aping other countries' media output. In other words, people are so scared of failing in that country that they only take safe bets in choosing their jobs and doing their jobs. It took me until a couple of years ago to learn that American culture values failure and sees it as a learning experience, or a least something everybody will go through, rather than failure being something that will destroy your life.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article, Nick. And I'd love to see more writing like this in the future on ANN. Anyway, I'll just echo everybody else, Shirobako is an amazing show. Some of my favorite parts of the show are the scenes of the crew going out for drinks after work and the scenes of Zuka moping around in her apartment questioning her career choice. It's just really well done. I really hope Sentai puts in their best effort for the dub, and we get a nice collector's edition too.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Clap clap.

I think I got tears in my eyes every other, or every third episode.

Speaks right to a long time otaku soul.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
This was a very nice read and ill agree with others in saying that I would like to see ANN host more of Nick's essays. This actually prompted me to go and check out some of his other stuff on his blog like his stuff on The World God Only Knows which were also good. And I even found stuff like his write up of Neptunia EP 1 which was...amusing to say the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3