• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Under the Dog's Jiro Ishii and Koji Morimoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
Like the studio system - do projects that pay the bills, and that affords you to do your own pet projects.

(though what's Bad Robot have to do with this)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
I have since calmed down a great deal after the controversy about this project came to a head back in January.

Official Statement:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-22/creative-intelligent-arts-steps-down-from-under-the-dog-anime/.83573

Original AMA from Ex-Producer Yura:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2ff3qs/i_am_hiroaki_yura_producer_of_anime_such_as_under

Whatever actually did happen, there is not much that can be done now except to sit back and watch. Now the pressure is on for this project to succeed. It is indeed. And conditions are more favorable now that they annouced they are going to fulfill backer rewards.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Now I'm curious, does anyone know how much of Psycho Pass's video and merchandise sales come from fujoshi market? Who would've thought fujoshi would be into sci-fi crime thrillers, lol. Personally, I'm glad they marketed the fact that PP was also written by Urobuchi as you get both the otaku and the fujoshi crowd that way. Ironically, for all the fujoshi designs, Psycho Pass is a show that I would actually recommend to a non-anime fan.

Actually, it's not that the "fujoshi market" (or whatever it is you want to call the market that targets girls with hot guys) helped this thing sell. It's placed in the general section of most anime hobby stores for a reason: it sold to general people, on top of the other crowds. And it sold relatively well for its genre. Why? It's hard to place a finger on the exact answer, but it was mentioned a long time ago (2013 March? April? May? Japanese Newtype interview) that lots of older sci-fi fans who had been enticed enough by Madoka's out-reach to their crowd recognized Urobuchi's name and may have thought it was worth investing into. To their enjoyment, it was. However, the second season sold relatively well, despite complaints from those exact fans, so that blurs the claims from the director a bit. I'd say that the female fans are few in number compared to the male fans, but they certainly exist in a large enough number to contribute an important chunk of finances to the project.
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
navycherub wrote:
Regarding Psycho-Pass, I think you all might be ignoring a bit the fujoshi appeal that it was marketed with before, during, and after its broadcast (and once again for season 2, which certainly did not sell badly), in addition to the fujoshi-friendly Amano Akira character designs, as well as its clear connection to the hugely successful Madoka. You can argue all you want about the actual contents of the show, but it is certainly marketed very well.

Now I'm curious, does anyone know how much of Psycho Pass's video and merchandise sales come from fujoshi market? Who would've thought fujoshi would be into sci-fi crime thrillers, lol.

I don't know if we can definitively say. The cited support for a predominantly female fanbase would be the public events, including screenings. Contrary to initial expectations, the attendees are almost all female.

It's a pretty good indicator of who the hardcore supporters are, but it's perhaps misleading if the show managed to lure in a more casual male following.

As for the reasons for fujoshi success, both character designs and voice actors (with the character dynamics working particularly well to fuel imaginations) are perceived to be the main factors.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Just dont include any DAMN moe (anything evoking those supposed feelings Laughing ) and service goddammit!
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@Juno16, @Yause, I agree with you two, and it's why I jokingly said fujoshi were into crime thrillers. It's possible that the female fans of Psycho Pass aren't necessarily the majority of its fanbase, just the most visible. And yeah, I do think part of PP's appeal is that it appeals to older sci-fans and some non-anime viewers in general. I remember that PP's producer actually works mostly in live-action and PP was first anime production so it's makes sense PP had less "otaku" elements than most shows. Not to mention the whole "the word "moe" is banned" controversy. I'm sure that was unintended marketing as well, lol.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Hearing this [expletive] idiot talk really pisses me off at this point. I put 370 USD for this god damn thing so it better not fudge up, and I want my items in my mail by the end of this year.

Wow I am SO PISSED. Shitty producer with his shitty ideas.

What are you complaining about exactly? It sounds like the project is on track which considering the parting of ways of the some of the members is a good sign.
Undead_Atrocity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'd be more happy about the project getting done than to get the actual items. Sorry but you're not supposed to donate your money to them just because you want the items. You do it so you can further help them create the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2