• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
ETX wrote:
Meanwhile, there are people complaining that the Naruto franchise needs to end already...

Dragon Ball says hello. Again. 18 years later. Cool

the thing is Naruto really does need to die, the manga has been complete shit since Shippuden began although I think after Bolt movie comes out and the spin off manga runs it's course it will finally be given a rest.

Still better than a certain franchise that was never good in the first place, but had a second season that repeated the same episode eight times, a movie that gave us the false promise that the annoying protagonist will finally disappear, a chibified spin-off, and another spin-off focusing on a Rei Ayanami clone.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Since when was GT ever considered canon? It's not based on the manga, which ended with DBZ and Toriyama had little or no involvement in it.

The movies take place 5 years after the Buu is defeated, so I guess by saying this series takes place a few years after, it's supposed to take place before the movies? That would make sense if they want to keep the power scale from getting too high after the first movie seemed to put so much emphasis on how strong Beerus was.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. If Toriyama is no longer burnt out by DB, hopefully this will be a really fun return to DB.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
meh

the 2 movies have been terrible so i don't have hope for a series that is expected to last for dozens of episodes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
It takes 1 cour just to power up or more than Namek to explode
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It takes 1 cour just to power up or more than Namek to explode

unless you have the word "Kai" in your title of course Cool
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
meh

the 2 movies have been terrible so i don't have hope for a series that is expected to last for dozens of episodes.

Haven't seen the second one yet, but after the first one I have severely low expectations because it was disappointingly terrible. I'm still surprised by how many people liked it and cite the movie as Toriyama "returning to form," what?! Yeah, no. Battle of the Gods was confirmation to me that Toriyama gives zero fucks and hasn't given any in a very long time, and considering how long ago it was that he earnestly worked on the thing, I honestly can't blame him. I sincerely have no idea what this new series will have to offer as a new villain stronger than Buu just sounds absurd to me (like seriously, where do you even go from a villain who damn near destroyed the universe and ate all but two players in the main cast?). That said I will still probably watch, I just don't have high hopes for it. And I'd like to meet these people who seriously think super saiyan god wasn't as stupid and ridiculous as it sounds, like seriously, who are you people?
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Great, after Sailor Moon Crystal and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, another crappy show by Trōllei Inanimation incoming. And of course, everyone's happy. Seems the carefree ones deserve the series they finally have.

And don't tell me that the TV broadcast guarantees a better quality. World Trigger is also terrible, and so does One Piece. Princess Precure seems to be privileged, but still no matching compared to other series from other studios.

Not only Tôei can produce only one high quality series, but also they produce near than 10 crappy series at the same time ! That's ridiculous. Their buiseness plan really disgusts me.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Great, after Sailor Moon Crystal and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, another crappy show by Trōllei Inanimation incoming. And of course, everyone's happy. Seems the carefree ones deserve the series they finally have.

And don't tell me that the TV broadcast guarantees a better quality. World Trigger is also terrible, and so does One Piece. Princess Precure seems to be privileged, but still no matching compared to other series from other studios.

Not only Tôei can produce only one high quality series, but also they produce near than 10 crappy series at the same time ! That's ridiculous. Their buiseness plan really disgusts me.

Good for you!

Now go watch other series from other studios and stop hating!
Enigmo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Everyone's basing their opinion on this new series from Battle of Gods and/or the new movie.... let me just say, DBZ movies in general have always been sub-par compared to the series. Literally, almost every DBZ movie hasn't been that amazing, with the exception of maybe Fusion Reborn, Bojack Unbound and one of the Broly movies.

My main issue with BoG was that the pacing of the story was so messed up, and I blamed that on it being like a 40-min movie. And I told myself, had it been a series of episodes, maybe everything would have been fine--but who knows?

Either way, we haven't seen a new DB TV series, so don't be too quick to assume anything.

Also, I wish Funimation do a simul-dub of this, like they did with Space Dandy. Because seriously, if there is any one anime FUNimation should do such a thing with, it's this new DBZ series. I like the Japanese voices, but would rather watch a new series in the English voices, so it truly feels like I'm continuing from the DBZ I left off with many years ago
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Enigmo wrote:
Also, I wish Funimation do a simul-dub of this, like they did with Space Dandy. Because seriously, if there is any one anime FUNimation should do such a thing with, it's this new DBZ series. I like the Japanese voices, but would rather watch a new series in the English voices, so it truly feels like I'm continuing from the DBZ I left off with many years ago

Oh, FFS, the Japanese Goku is the way he's sup---

Quote:
I like the Japanese voices

Ah, damn it, you've PT-proofed your post.

I'm sure they'll get to it. I mean, I bet they're still in the process of dubbing the Buu arc of Kai (what a mess that part of Kai's turned out to be).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Enigmo wrote:
My main issue with BoG was that the pacing of the story was so messed up, and I blamed that on it being like a 40-min movie.

Battle of Gods is actually the longest Dragon Ball movie, if I'm not mistaken. Its theatrical version is eighty-five minutes long, and the television broadcast version is over one-hundred minutes long. So, it wasn't short. I personally thought the pacing was fine; good buildups for both Beerus and Bulma's party, plenty of time given to let the humour shine, the Mai-Trunks subplot was neatly incorporated, and then we got an extended battle at the end.

Covnam wrote:
Since when was GT ever considered canon? It's not based on the manga, which ended with DBZ and Toriyama had little or no involvement in it.

It's not officially canon, but Toriyama did have a strong involvement with it.

SageModeKakarot wrote:
toriyama named the show, came up with the initial story and even did the character designs for Goku, Gohan, Goten Vegeta (yes HE gave him that makeover), Trunks, Bulma, Pan, Videl and Gill/Giru, he helped finalise the SSJ4 design and he oversaw the production of the show at least until the end of the Baby Saga (where he wanted to end it apparently), in fact he did more on GT than he did on Battle of Gods so if BoG is canon because he was involved then so is GT
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
Oh man! This means another tedious mission to replace the Japanese score with Bruce Faulconer's tracks.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
I've never been a big DBZ fan (I much prefered the adventuring elements in DB), but one thing I've always been curious about is what DBZ would look like animation-wise with the current generation of animators and techniques. I've never been too impressed by anything I've seen in the TV series (I think the best I've ever seen was Goku vs Krillin from DB). Then I got older and learned that Toei is usually gonna Toei, but if they can pull some people in that lean more towards this or this, I'll definitely be interested.

Some may not realize it, but Toei has a crop or really good animators and have shown the willingness to reach out and hire other great animators AND put out quality cuts for their shows, but they just...don't...show it often enough. For a company that has pumped out as many mega hits as Toei, as long-standing as Toei, they sure can be cheap. So if this is the basket Toei is willing to put even half their eggs in and produce a show that doesn't rely on speed lines, powering up ad infinitum, or iffy choreography, I'm in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
The reaction level is 9000!
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Oh man! This means another tedious mission to replace the Japanese score with Bruce Faulconer's tracks.

Bruce Faulconer hasn't replaced the tracks since 2003.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9