• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Funimation, get your butts into gear and go get this series ASAP! There's no way that they won't simulcast this thing once when it comes out and with it being their most lucrative title in their catalog, they would be morons not to get it!

As for Dragon Ball Super? I think it is pretty much a given that this series will ignore Dragon Ball GT and it would be all the better for it and plus, I wonder if the new DBZ movies would be considered canon to this series or not.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Mixed on this. Love they are making new stuff, but I hope they incorporate some GT elements, or at least something that leads to GT's ending, as I thought it was a nice closer for the series.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
I figured the recent DBZ film releases were suspicious. They were angling for a new series.

I'm disappointed that it's only a little while after Majin Buu. I would prefer a series focused on the younger Z fighters or something that sets up a new generation of characters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ok but what channel well it come on in the USA?
Realquick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Let the series die ffs
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm a little mixed on this. I'm excited for a new DB series but, at the same time other than it being a DB series there really isn't much getting me excited. There really isn't much that I need to see in a new series. Movies are fine but, there really nothing I need to see from this universe besides more super powerful bad guys.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
Let the series die ffs

The series was dead, for 15 years. You may not have noticed because it was new to us in the states during that period.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
QUESTIONS:

It's after Buu, so does that mean Goku will already have SSJG and SSJGSS from the two movies at the start of the show?

Does this permanently kill GT out of existence or does DBS take place before the beginning of GT?

So many questions!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
GT's been non canon since Battle of Gods. My guess is the series will be post Resurection F. But that is just a guess. But with Toriyama doing the planning, it's a good guess.
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is how I felt last year when Sailor Moon Crystal was about air: super excited!!!!!! Very Happy
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Oh crap. Well, I hated the first movie, that of the "Battle" of the Gods, and I find the new transformations ridiculous. Gohan was useless after cell, he was a good comic-relief character, though.

I actually liked GT, but if they keep creating new stuff that apparently happened before GT, then that season wouldn't make any sense to me.

I don't know how to feel about these news. Maybe it will be fun. I miss all the screams and kamehameha's, but I also think that this series should rest. Let's just wait, then!
panderson1988

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news, and the original creator is involved! I can't wait for this show to come out in the near future, and hopefully it'll be on US TV as well!
panderson1988

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
#837010 wrote:
Ok but what channel well it come on in the USA?

No word on that, and we'll see a battle for US-TV rights in the near future. I do know DeMarco from Toonami (Adult Swim) knows there will be a new Dragon Ball, and they are interested in it; however, he mention so will other networks. I'm hopeful it'll be Toonami since it's staple and they will give it a decent slot, good promos, and overall make it accessible to everyone. Heck Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) is on Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and is quickly adapting an online module.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama is shaping up to be either the George Lucas or JK Rowling of manga. After creating a mega-hit franchise, he's afraid to try something new, and if he does, it ends up bombing because it's not as good as Star Wars/Harry Potter/Dragon Ball.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Actually, he made several series after Dragon Ball Z. They were never as successful though. He also worked on the Dragon Quest games. He got tired of everyone comparing all of his later work with DBZ. That is why it is only recently that we have been seeing more DBZ coming out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9