• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Meanwhile, there are people complaining that the Naruto franchise needs to end already...

Dragon Ball says hello. Again. 18 years later. Cool

the thing is Naruto really does need to die, the manga has been complete shit since Shippuden began although I think after Bolt movie comes out and the spin off manga runs it's course it will finally be given a rest.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This is the best news ever!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Dietrihm7 wrote:
Dragon ball is a dinosaur

I actually find this amusing since Dragon Ball is full of dinosaurs living on Earth in the present day and that in one of the art books, Toriyama has a lot of dinosaur designs as concept ideas. Maybe they should make an anime series all about Toriyama-designed dinosaurs with a neat original story that has nothing to do with Dragon Ball. I'd pay to see that.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yeah, but "Dr. Slump" doesn't get talked about as much. To give yet another George Lucas comparison, "Dr. Slump" is Toriyama's "American Graffiti" (moderately successful) while "Dragon Ball" was his "Star Wars" (his even more popular work that eclipsed the predecessor).

That's because Dr. Slump was never a hit in the US (we only got the manga). In Japan, it's still a beloved classic, easily on-par with Dragon Ball. And American Graffiti (one of my all-time favorite movies) was one of the first "Summer blockbuster" movies, even if it wasn't an action film. No, it's never been as popular as Star Wars, but it's still a classic that helped define a generation. Even without counting AG, Lucas has Indiana Jones, which he teamed up with Steven Spielberg on.

A better comparison would be Naoko Takeuchi, who created Sailor Moon. Yes, SM is her only hit series, as much as she's tried other things.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yeah, but "Dr. Slump" doesn't get talked about as much. To give yet another George Lucas comparison, "Dr. Slump" is Toriyama's "American Graffiti" (moderately successful) while "Dragon Ball" was his "Star Wars" (his even more popular work that eclipsed the predecessor).

The difference is that Dr. Slump wasn't Moderately successful, it was a Mega Hit!

Dr. Slump had 2 TV series, 10 movies, multiple games and a lot of other things!

The 1st TV series run for 6 years(1981-1986) and had average ratings of 22.8% and best of 36.9%. As comparison you have Dragon Ball(including Z) average ratings of 21.2% and best of 29.5%.

The 2nd TV series run for 2 years(end of 1997-1999), note how it was made 1 decade(11 years to be exact) after its first series, just like this new TV anime of Dragon Ball is being made 15 after the 1st.

Also note that at Dr. Slump time there was no Internet. Internet only started getting widespread in the late 1980s, so during(or after) the 1st series end.
Also note how the anime industry(and Toei efforts) only started really getting widespread in the West way later in the mids 1990s(Strangely Portugal was able to get Saint Seiya in 1992). Where even Dragon Ball anime that started in 1989 only got in the west in 1995, 6 years later.

Given all that is obvious why Dr.Slump is not talked in the West, and why is not talked as much as Dragon Ball. Because is way older!

Last edited by bigivel on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
meanwhile in terms of anime, Toriko really is in the same boat as Bleach, some were assuming once Kai was finished with Buu arc that would come back.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to see where this goes before I make any commitment to it. The new DBZ movies have been enjoyable, but I don't need to see Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 80 Silver Oozaru-Namekian Fusion Master vs Broly-Beerus Fusion on the third planet Namek. I still remember GT and I drink because of it.

Toei's going to kill those original Japanese VAs with overwork, though. You know, they aren't young anymore. Except Tohru Furuya, who for some reason is just as young, because he's an immortal Newtype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
meanwhile in terms of anime, Toriko really is in the same boat as Bleach, some were assuming once Kai was finished with Buu arc that would come back.

Now the problem really is. Where in the hell will Digimon Adventure Tri air? Or will it just be 1 season(10-12 episodes)!? :O
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I will watch it. I am hyped for it. I have no complaints about this whatsoever in my mind. Modern animation techniques on an older style. I want. I want it muchly.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is one of my all time favorites, only because I was deprived of it as a child I didn't have it on TV, i actually had to go out and find bootleg copies of it. That's what made me a fan the most The reviewers on Ann do not like the series or most of them make fun of the shonen tournament aspects which is hilarious.

I just gotta say that it's great to see Dragon Ball come back and it's pretty much the pinnacle of anime which has really got to piss them off at this point. Dragon Ball hasn't gone away, it continues to dominate.

Funimations gravy train the and reason most anime they license can be dubbed has returned.
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm soo Excited!..It's been a looong wait!.Not that i'm complaining but i wonder why Akira don't want to make a whole new series not related to Bragonball in anyway.Surely he has more imagination in that head of his...Oh well at least we get to see uub and how strong he's become...yeah i know we saw him in Gt but gt doesn't really count...
IceKirby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Here I am hoping that this means "gg GT". And hopefully this will not follow the "only Saiyans get to have fun" trend.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm tremendously hyped. As far as I've been spoiled about FnF I understand it finally is not only about Goku. Like, I'm all for Goku defeating the strongest enemy since he is the protagonist, that's fine, but goddamn please let everyone else fight! There is still Gohan, Piccolo, (most likely) Uub, Gotenks, why would waste villains only on the protagonist when you have a buttload of characters to make them shine more?

That's why I liked the Frieza and Cell arc much more than Majin Buu's, after defeating Dabura and that stuff it's a bunch of episodes on "How not to defeat a bubble gum". With Frieza and Cell we just see one clear and functional power-up (the SSJ and the SSJ2, Vegeta's and Trunks' form were clearly useless), in Buu's arc there are two new transformations (SSJ3 and Ultimate Gohan), two ways of fusion (Normal and Potara) and there are like 100 episodes of that shit not working instead of having them use it against other villains.

At least it seems that SSJ God and SSJ God SSJ are useful and help in something and we don't waste that much time.
Dietrihm7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dietrihm7 wrote:
Dragon ball is a dinosaur

I actually find this amusing since Dragon Ball is full of dinosaurs living on Earth in the present day and that in one of the art books, Toriyama has a lot of dinosaur designs as concept ideas. Maybe they should make an anime series all about Toriyama-designed dinosaurs with a neat original story that has nothing to do with Dragon Ball. I'd pay to see that.

Toriyama is an amazing creature drawer, and his work helped shape the style of the GOAT creature artist Kishimoto.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Except Tohru Furuya, who for some reason is just as young, because he's an immortal Newtype.

Also, I think it is safe to say he doesn't have to worry about overwork from DBS given his character...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9