• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ayaka Hirahira, Yōko Hikasa Star in The Sound of Music 50th Anniversary Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I appreciate showing the Japanese dub of that classic film (my mother loved that film a lot). But is this really newsworthy? Confused

Also one more thing, I find it odd to hear all the song being sang in Japanese for the dub rather then leave it all in English. It just sound weird and just..... I don't know how to put it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Uh, I appreciate showing the Japanese dub of that classic film (my mother loved that film a lot). But is this really newsworthy? Confused

You've recently taken on the "Talking about Japanese dubs of non-Japanese stuff is not news-worthy" flag recently and have been throwing it around a handful of times the past few days, but many of these dub actors are also famous anime seiyuu, that's enough of a connection with anime and related pop-culture to report on it
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

You've recently taken on the "Talking about Japanese dubs of non-Japanese stuff is not news-worthy" flag recently and have been throwing it around a handful of times the past few days, but many of these dub actors are also famous anime seiyuu, that's enough of a connection with anime and related pop-culture to report on it

I understand the connection. I don't have any objection against ANN for doing this, but I still think it's a little out of place for ANN to report on American films being dubbed in Japanese. It's not like we will watch these films in Japanese dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that the statements "I have no objection against this" and "I think this is out of place" directly contradict each other, yes? The point is that you've been harping about this quite a bit lately, but ANN has been making this reports for a long time. You can just ignore them if you're not interested.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Did ya guys hear Lady Gaga sing the song on the Oscars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joDNMW6pDl8

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You do realize that the statements "I have no objection against this" and "I think this is out of place" directly contradict each other, yes? The point is that you've been harping about this quite a bit lately, but ANN has been making this reports for a long time. You can just ignore them if you're not interested.

Well that's my opinion. You don't have to make a big deal out of my statement. I could've ignore it, but I couldn't helped to comment about the singing in the dub. But my opinion shouldn't really matter to you. As I said, it's not like we're going to watch American films dubbed in Japanese in the future.
kuron3kosama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I've watched Labyrinth dubbed in Japanese and found it pretty interesting. I'd love to watch this dubbed too, even in more than just Japanese.

More than that though, this trailer made me just want to watch Sound of Music again, lol.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The 2/23/14 CNN article called "Maria von Trapp, last of famous singing siblings, dies at 99" stated that Maria died of natural causes in her Vermont home.

I wonder what Marie Poppins herself thinks of this.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I understand the connection. I don't have any objection against ANN for doing this, but I still think it's a little out of place for ANN to report on American films being dubbed in Japanese. It's not like we will watch these films in Japanese dubbed.

I literally had this conversation with you yesterday where you said the same thing about another Interest article. I'm going to go into more detail this time.

This is the Interest section. We regularly write about things that aren't anime or manga related (but are Japan related) if we think it'll be interesting to our readers. I wanted to see if readers found the Japanese dub as amusing as I did because, like I said earlier, I'm testing out some things. That said, this article with two anime-related staff members (VA and singer) isn't any less "anime-related" than:

Every robot/tech interest article we post in this section revolving around weird sex.

The gravure idol TV program posted earlier today, Japanese airline attendants dancing to Hatsune Miku (Hatsune Miku herself is only borderline. She has manga adaptations based on her, but that's about it), the Offbeat Idol group, that Japanese boy enrolling in an all-girls school, and the censorship at the Fertility Festival just to name stuff in the last week.

I definitely want to hear feedback if our readers find something not interesting so I can take it into consideration when curating content in the future.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
@Octopodpie:

Again, I don't have any objection with this article, with all due respect. I just think it's a bit weird to be reporting on this. Yes, I understand it's a interest article (and yes I understand why you did this). But it's not like all of us on ANN will go buy the Japanese dub version of this film (except maybe 1 or 2 people).
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, ever heard of logic deduction? Sounds like you have a habit of doing that. Well, I know jack sizzle about you, but you might want to read about it.

Either ways, the dub is very high quality. Sasuga Japanese dubs.

Lackluster American dub quality can't be compared to Japanese dub superiority... is what I think.

I usually enjoy Japanese dubs as opposed to American dubs. I wonder why?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
We post about events in Japan that the majority of English speaking readers can never attend. We write about merchandise that readers would have to import all the time.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I first heard Ayaka Hirahara singing vocal versions of themes to Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" on the video "Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Miyazaki Anime to Tomo ni Ayunda 25 Nenkan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNSKGo_SJ8w, later finding "Hajimari no Kaze" from Saiunkoku Monogatari and of course her hit vocal version of "Jupiter" from Gustav Holst's "The Planets Suite".

[edit - Ayaka Hirahara once did a duet of "Jupiter" with Nana Mizuki]

Last edited by omiya on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Interesting, I first heard Ayaka Hirahara singing vocal versions of themes to Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" on the video "Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Miyazaki Anime to Tomo ni Ayunda 25 Nenkan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNSKGo_SJ8w, later finding "Hajimari no Kaze" from Saiunkoku Monogatari and of course her hit vocal version of "Jupiter" from Gustav Holt's "The Planets Suite".

Don't forget "Reset" from Okami.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I find these types of articles to be really cool. I think it's neat to see how our stuff is treated over in Japan. Most of the singing sounded pretty spot on. Not as good as the English, but surprisingly close. I love the rendition of Edelweiss.

This was my late grandma's favorite film, and I love watching it for that reason. It's a great film that will list your spirits, but it also has quite a bit of drama and suspense, especially once the Nazis arrive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2