• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Valley of Machine Dolls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
I just powered through Kill La Kill over on Crunchryroll - at first I didn't think the show's frantic style would win me over, but man I got hooked hard. I was thinking "Hey, perhaps I'll buy the series!"

But 40 bucks for 4 episodes? On a blu ray? Did I wake up in 2005 or something?

I wouldn't mind dropping 60-80 on a complete set, but like this? No thanks man.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I love these Shelf Life articles; the new format has helped quite a bit, i think Smile

Bamboo, i have fundamental disagreements with you about PMMM 3; i recently picked it up and saw it for the first time, and the way that film ended made more more angry than any anime i've seen before. I'll agree that the film is beautiful to watch, i love the artistry, and the second act was really well done. I just couldn't stand the hugely out of character '''twist''' that was forced in just to have some sequel bait. It felt like it went completely against the development that character had throughout the original series and the previous 90 minutes of this film.

I'm guessing we both acknowledge the same strengths and flaws this movie has, but i'm just much more bothered by the character writing at the end. Razz

Great review and article though; please keep them coming Smile
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
A typo in the Nobunaga the Fool segment:
Quote:
Along the way, they also meat Julius Caesar, Himiko, and others.

Regarding the Unbreakable Machine-Doll review, it feels as if I viewed a different show. Smile

I suspect much of that has to do with expectations. As I normally view shows after the simulcast is complete, I normally have a better idea of what I'm in for. One is unlikely to be disappointed if they know they are getting a fast food joint burger, rather than hoping for a juicy sirloin steak and then being served up the former.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:

It's what happens when Aniplex gets a popular title Razz I imagine there will eventually be a full box set, so get ready to take out a second mortgage when the time comes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Regarding the Unbreakable Machine-Doll review, it feels as if I viewed a different show. Smile

I suspect much of that has to do with expectations.

I think I know how to measure my expectations when watching anime, but I am with Paul. Unbreakable Machine-Doll is a pile of crap.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I really liked Rebellion. Seeing it in theaters was absolutely fantastic. It's a beautiful film that might be one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. The ending was sad, but expected and definitely made sense in the way that the character had been developed throughout the series, and it definitely provides a great sequel hook if they ever end up doing it. But I can understand why people didn't like the ending, but I can't agree with people when they say it's out of character.

Unbreakable Machine Doll was okay, but man was it generic. I can't remember hardly anything about it at all. But that ending song is easily one of my favorites! I still listen to it!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
But I can understand why people didn't like the ending, but I can't agree with people when they say it's out of character.

Let me put it this way: imagine if Lord of the Rings: Return of the King had an additional 20 minutes to it. During these 20 minutes Samwise Gamgee, who has at this point directly resisted the temptation of the Ring and helped destroy it forever, decides that he misses Frodo so much that he goes to Mount Doom, recovers the ring (somehow), and uses its power to bring Frodo back from the Western Lands (or whatever it's called), then takes over the Shire, holding all of his former friends in captivity.

Wouldn't this seem out of place? Wouldn't it go against every development and trait of Sam's character? This is how i feel about the ending of PMMM3, though i realize of course that some people aren't as bothered about it as i am.

TLDR: (Yells and shakes fist at clouds)

Last edited by Merxamers on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Unbreakable Machine Doll made me feel similar.

I finished it and realized I just wasted my own time. The English cast is good but even they can only do so much with a bland, repetitive show.

And if i heard Loki use the same phrase any more times i was gonna rip my hair out.

And then it just ends, on a huge cliffhanger with almost zero resolution.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
It's what happens when Aniplex gets a popular title Razz I imagine there will eventually be a full box set, so get ready to take out a second mortgage when the time comes
When was the last time they made a box set of something they'd released singles for? If there's a Japanese box set, they'll release an import of it, but I doubt they'll make one of their own. Also, learn to use spoiler tags.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully I'll like Rebellion, as I just ordered the Blu-ray. I very rarely purchase physical media, but it seems likely the be the only way I would be able to view it legally.

angelmcazares wrote:

I think I know how to measure my expectations when watching anime, but I am with Paul. Unbreakable Machine-Doll is a pile of crap.

Did you view week-to-week during the simulcast, or after the fact? If the former, your expectations might have been pessimistic, but apparently they still were not met. After all, few would view a series they truly expected to be crap. I certainly don't plan on viewing Diabolik Lovers for example, because based on everything I know about it, I expect it to be what I would consider to be crap.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
When was the last time they made a box set of something they'd released singles for? If there's a Japanese box set, they'll release an import of it, but I doubt they'll make one of their own. Also, learn to use spoiler tags.

i think they made a full box set for PMMM; i found it on the Animplex site when i was looking for purchasing options.

Also, i didn't spoil anything. (Honestly, high Aniplex prices is a twist everyone should have seen coming; therefore, not a spoiler)
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
I just powered through Kill La Kill over on Crunchryroll - at first I didn't think the show's frantic style would win me over, but man I got hooked hard. I was thinking "Hey, perhaps I'll buy the series!"

I wouldn't mind dropping 60-80 on a complete set, but like this? No thanks man.

That's why you import Aniplex titles from other countries. All you need is a Region 2/4 DVD or Blu player. I've heard that the R2 release of Kill la Kill from All the Anime is pretty cheap in comparison.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with the import from Japan (I assume it has subs?), but I was kind of looking forward to the dub too. On a show that frantic, it's easy for me to miss the action while trying to read.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
@Merxamers:

The LE for the first two movies is for both, but that's it.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
But I can understand why people didn't like the ending, but I can't agree with people when they say it's out of character.

Let me put it this way: imagine if Lord of the Rings: Return of the King had an additional 20 minutes to it. During these 20 minutes Samwise Gamgee, who has at this point directly resisted the temptation of the Ring and helped destroy it forever, decides that he misses Frodo so much that he goes to Mount Doom, recovers the ring (somehow), and uses its power to bring Frodo back from the Western Lands (or whatever it's called), then takes over the Shire, holding all of his former friends in captivity.

Wouldn't this seem out of place? Wouldn't it go against every development and trait of Sam's character? This is how i feel about the ending of PMMM3, though i realize of course that some people aren't as bothered about it as i am.

TLDR: (Yells and shakes fist at clouds)

Gonna put it in spoilers spoiler[but Homura had always had stalker like tendencies for Madoka. It's a defining part of her character. Her desire to protect Madoka from her fate. Which she ultimately fails at when Madoka becomes a Goddess. She is wracked with guilt because she feels like Madoka was forced into the decision and was not doing what she wanted to do, but what she thought she needed to do. Which explains Homura's outburst during the last episode during Madoka's transformation.

Then in Rebellion she actually gets to ask Madoka about her decision, albeit in a round about way (since the Madoka in the movie didn't know about the original world) Madoka's response proves Homura's thoughts so when they are finally going to be united she forces her out of her position as goddess.

It sets up some nice parallels, they both represent love. Madoka represents the selfless love shown in her sacrifice to save the world. While Homura represents Selfish love where she does what she thinks is best for Madoka without asking for her opinion. Before doing so. Madoka wanted to feel useful, while Homura wanted to do what ever she could for Madoka to be happy, despite the fact that she seemed pretty happy being a goddess.]

All that to say, in my opinion anyway, the seeds for what happened had always been there. It just took the movie to make the final push.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5