• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Million Doll TV Anime Unveils More Cast, July 6 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
her left arm looks weird.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
This is one of my three "must watch" Summer 2015 shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Congrats.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Congrats.

I'm not sure whether the show needs to be congratulated for unveiling its cast. I feel like that's something most shows do.

Then again, most shows don't socio-culturally examine idol culture the way Million Doll does. Or focus on the Locodol phenomenon, which represents a steadily growing segment of the idol industry. So, maybe Million Doll does actually deserve congratulations for tackling the topic, instead of just mindlessly churning out another boilerplate "high school girl wants to become an idol" drama.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
ANN's synopsis wrote:
Ai's original Million Doll manga revolves around Sūko, an idol-loving hikikomori (shut-in) who has one ability: To make any idol popular through the power of blogging.

Great. Now I'm thinking about Denpa Kyōshi... *sigh*

I see that Umehara Yūichirō is part of the cast; I liked his performance as Binan Kōkō Chikyū Bōei-bu Love!'s Yufuin En.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN's synopsis wrote:
Ai's original Million Doll manga revolves around Sūko, an idol-loving hikikomori (shut-in) who has one ability: To make any idol popular through the power of blogging.

Great. Now I'm thinking about Denpa Kyōshi... *sigh*

I see that Umehara Yūichirō is part of the cast; I liked his performance as Binan Kōkō Chikyū Bōei-bu Love!'s Yufuin En.

It's a very different kind of manga than what you're probably imagining. It is a drama that follows:

-a female hikikomori fangirl who is obsessed with a three-girl idol unit
-a salaryman who is infatuated with a down-on-her-luck idol
-the three-girl idol unit, who all have folksy charm, and will likely be given Southern accents when the show is dubbed ("We've gotta make it big, or Yurino's gonna hafta go back to strawberry farmin'!")
-the down-on-her-luck idol and her life of earnest desperation

The idol unit and the down-on-her-luck idol begin competing for the same record contract, and then the story just sort of takes off from there.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's a very different kind of manga than what you're probably imagining.

Oh, I know. But seeing the words "idol-loving hikikomori" and "the power of blogging" in the same sentence evoke those thoughts about the recently-premiered Denpa Kyōshi. I hope that Million Dolls will be good enough to overwrite those thoughts.
partially

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
I read a bit of this a while ago. Gave up it was so terrible. Remind me why it got an adaptation?

The premise was interesting to a certain degree. The execution was flatout terrible. And the art was never more than serviceable. The plot relied far too much on characters mysteriously knowing details that were happening, when there was simply no way for them to know about them. If this happened once by mistake I could pass it over. But it goes again and again. The writing was quite simply amatuer.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
The premise was interesting to a certain degree. The execution was flatout terrible. And the art was never more than serviceable.

The author uses a very minimalistic blend of shoujo and moe styles that obviously isn't for everyone. Nana meets The World God Only Knows, basically. I think that the panel layout (especially the use of panel height) was actually very disciplined and purposeful.

partially wrote:

The plot relied far too much on characters mysteriously knowing details that were happening, when there was simply no way for them to know about them. If this happened once by mistake I could pass it over. But it goes again and again.

Could you provide a few examples of this? I reread the entire series yesterday afternoon, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Reminds us of Million Dollar Baby:

• This film is about an underappreciated boxing trainer, the mistakes that haunt him from his past, and his quest for atonement by helping an underdog amateur boxer (the film's title character) achieve her dream of becoming a professional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1