• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils High School DxD BorN Broadcast Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

First i just wanna say i love Alexis Voice and i wouldn't want to see her go anywhere.

Which was why I said not too harshly for her change in casting. I didn't like Brina Palencia in nearly anything, especially her Rei. Until Srgt. Frog, which is still my favorite performance from her. I'm not a huge fan of Alexis, but maybe a few unique casting choices and direction could probably fit her into something I could like. Hell, Brittany Deans. An actress/staff member at Sentai Filmworks had a huge and obvious southern accent in majority of her 2ndary roles. Until she played as Nazuna in Log Horizon which I thought was impressive, so voicing different characters and direction payed off for her.

Quote:
Like people said, when the uncensored VD come out who gets the role, Scott and Teri, or the new people. If there is a season four, who gets the role?

If there wasn't a lot of backlash (Which I'm surprised there is given its Funimation) And if it got a lot of streaming numbers. I guess they would redub it. It would be around 20 hours of dialog if including both I assume. But if they don't and if a S4 comes out, and they recast Scott and Terri. Then its just going to be even more odd. Out of all the seasons dubbed, 1 will have to MC voiced by different actors. Which will give the season some nicknames by dub fans. EX: Highschool KxJosh

lazydude500 wrote:
If you think there's no notable difference your hearing is either failing you or your status as a professional reviewer should be called into question with claims that are clearly incorrect and jarring to read...

Nowhere did Key say that there is, "no noticeable difference." He/She said, "There is barely any difference." That's far off from stating that there is no single piece of difference at all. Besides, Scott can already sound like Josh even from the 1st season trailer.

Quote:
Jamie Marchi as Rias is one of the best performances of the decade

If it was for me, I would pick her role as Panty from P&S with Garterbelt instead of Rias. It was reminding me its Jamie Marchi acting as Jamie Marchi. Her Panty though had to interact alot with Monica's Stocking which lead to some fun delivery. Then I would put Maggie Flecknoe's Takagi, Marielle and Yukari above her.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I happened to check Funimation's blog post about the dub announcement, and people are pissed.

It's got like 120+ comments 99% of which are angry and threatening to not watch/ but the Blu-Ray if the cast isn't fixed for home release or the Similidub is fixed/canned
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
^
Whoa, that many folks are that outraged over a change in casting?
Perhaps Funimation should have waited a bit before doing this simuldub of the BorN season of High School DxD?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Perhaps Funimation should have waited a bit before doing this simuldub of the BorN season of High School DxD?

I agree. Maybe they could have a made dub after all the uncensored discs have been released so we can see it in the true uncensored glory or have fans pay a higher subscription fee to watch it uncensored.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Is it really necessary for Funi to Dub this as it simulcasts, especially when it's going to be the censored version? I'd of much rather them have waited for the Blu-ray release and have Scott and Teri voice their characters rather than replace them.

That is what sort of confuses me with this. I get that the popularity of the show makes it a prime candidate for a broadcast dub, but we have to wait to get the uncensored version anyway, so why not use that to their advantage and find a schedule that worked for everyone? When doing something fast means replacing the lead role and a major supporting role, I have to wonder if the speed is worth it.

People routinely praise Funi for outsourcing dubs to LA when needed to maintain a cast, so this reaction is hardly surprising. Also, the blog post announcing the change went up only two hours before the show, which makes it seem like they knew the reaction would be poor. I don't know, unless Justin Cook's comment about "life just gets in the way" meant that neither actor would return at all, this seems like an avoidable situation.

RejectedShadow wrote:

Question for all you dub watchers: With these sort of cast changes (assuming they'll stay in the final home video release version) would it discourage you from buying the Blu-Ray / DVD?

I suppose that is the real question, isn't it? I guess my answer is that I will still buy it because I highly doubt if Funi is going to actually go back and redub these characters and dealing with it is preferable to not having the show at all.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Scott Freeman did do a great Issei, but I have no concerns about Josh Grelle taking over the role. That's not a particularly complicated or nuanced role, and Grelle does have a well-established track record of capable performances in harem series. (He is the male lead in the Date A Live, Freezing, and Infinite Stratos franchises, for instance.)

I am more concerned about Akeno being taken over by a total newcomer. (This will be Kelly Angel's debut role.) Teri does that kind of role so well (she was also the seductress in Senran Kagura), so she will be harder to replace. But Funimation has shown ability in the recent past to uncover great new talent, so I'm also looking forward to hearing what Ms. Angel can do.

but that's the problem there. considering that people was stringing up a noose for his performance as ichika (even though its fine i guess) and did very well as kazuya on freezing, but this voicework is downright atrocious. i would have been fine if he had his vocal chord similar towards how he sounded when he played ichika or even kenichi, but from the looks & sounds of this, its a massive miscast and one that could nuke this season. not to mention him sounding and trying to pass of as a pervy type pimp dont sound right.

definitely would have better if they had either vic mignona or even greg ayres instead since they can pull off the pervy male dead pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
definitely would have better if they had either vic mignona or even greg ayres instead since they can pull off the pervy male dead pretty well.

...but then the situation would've been way worse with their voices sounding too different. At least with Josh Grelle being Issei's new actor, some of the consistency is retained.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

...but then the situation would've been way worse with their voices sounding too different. At least with Josh Grelle being Issei's new actor, some of the consistency is retained.

True enough. I think what bugs me more than anything about it is that this seems like it could have been avoided by just waiting. If this remains a potential issue going forward, I think I'd rather they reserve the broadcast dubs for new shows only.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, I'm in total agreement that Funimation should've bided their time before simudubbing this show. Plus, limiting these simuldubs to only new shows doesn't seem to be a bad idea...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As I said in the episode review, concerns about the recast roles are premature. There's barely any difference (and certainly no drop-off) between Josh's performance and Scott's previous ones. There's enough more of a difference with Kelly vs. Teri that it will takes some getting used to, but it's still not a dramatic change.

I'll agree so far as the quality goes. I tend to enjoy Grelle's work and he has enough range that I can't always pick him out. But, I can't agree that there is barely any difference. It was very noticeable to me.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

Also I think "Kelly Angel" is just Bryn Appril under a pseudonym, it sounded like her doing a sexy voice, which is weird since she normally does cute voices, and IIRC she's like 17 IRL

It certainly sounded like her, and it's not like other cast members haven't used pseudonyms for this show previously.

macattack wrote:

I think "Ramona Newel" (we all know who she really is) is back, but I'd need to hear more of her to know for sure.

It sounded like her, but I also need to hear more. I've only heard "Ramona" in a few things, so she isn't someone I can pick out immediately.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I agree. Maybe they could have a made dub after all the uncensored discs have been released so we can see it in the true uncensored glory or have fans pay a higher subscription fee to watch it uncensored.
Except the censorship is not why people are angry (And really, this kind of thing has been going on with simulcasts for ages), they're mainly angry because two major characters, including the freaking harem lead have been recast, most likely because FUNi was trying to push a broadcast dub for this so hard instead of waiting until they could do a dub with the original cast.

As for paying more money for the uncensored version, that's not going to work. High School DxD airs censored everywhere except AT-X (Which costs money to watch), and the uncensored version of AT-X shows are NOT allowed for simulcast period, no matter how much you pony up. FUNi will not be allowed to touch the uncensored version until sometime next year when Media Factory provides them the home video release materials.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
so they just responded to their May 2nd post on facebook regarding the broacast dub and cast changes. sounds like Scott and Teri have moved on to other things.

Quote:

For differing reasons, both Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers could not return to the show. FUNimation had no other choice but to bring on two new voice actors, Josh Grelle and Kelly Angel, to High School DxD BorN in order to produce the dub. No amount of time or delay would have changed this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so they just responded to their May 2nd post on facebook regarding the broacast dub and cast changes. sounds like Scott and Teri have moved on to other things.

Quote:

For differing reasons, both Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers could not return to the show. FUNimation had no other choice but to bring on two new voice actors, Josh Grelle and Kelly Angel, to High School DxD BorN in order to produce the dub. No amount of time or delay would have changed this.

Ok, at least they explained it. They could have saved some headaches for themselves by saying as much. Teri hasn't done a whole lot, so it isn't hard to believe she may have decided that it wasn't worth sticking around. I'm a little surprised that Scott isn't available considering he was the lead and has been in a decent amount of shows, but without knowing more it's too hard to guess what might have come up.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
getchman wrote:

Quote:

Ok, at least they explained it. They could have saved some headaches for themselves by saying as much. Teri hasn't done a whole lot, so it isn't hard to believe she may have decided that it wasn't worth sticking around. I'm a little surprised that Scott isn't available considering he was the lead and has been in a decent amount of shows, but without knowing more it's too hard to guess what might have come up.

Exactly, at least we have an answer other than, time, right now. That's what made most people angry, that it might have just been a time constraint thing.

Teri dropping off isn't a huge shock, her only other notable roll is Haruka in Senran Kagura.

Still Scott dropping out seems odd he was just there less than a month ago recording a role in Assassination Classroom dub. Does this mean his other roles will be recast? If Fairy Tail season 2 gets picked up will Bickslow be recast?

I know it's a personal situation i guess but I'd be fascinated to know what might have caused a potential breakdown in his relationship with the company (was it a money thing, personal reasons?)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Exactly, at least we have an answer other than, time, right now. That's what made most people angry, that it might have just been a time constraint thing.

The update on their blog post mentioned something along the lines of "that is why we announced it ahead of time," but I don't think people were wrong to believe that the schedule was the culprit. Broadcast dubs obviously work on a different schedule, and said announcement came out only two hours before the episode. "Life just gets in the way" could have meant anything from the actors leaving the area, to quitting voice work, to simply not having time right now.

I'm sure they didn't want to give out all the personal details, nor would I expect them to, but the official comment wasn't handled very well, if you ask me. Anyway, now that I know that it wasn't a complete bonehead move by Funi, I'll have to get used to the change. I eventually got used to Maxey Whitehead as Alphonse Elric since that recasting was unavoidable, so I'll probably be fine with this eventually, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4