• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils High School DxD BorN Broadcast Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Exactly, at least we have an answer other than, time, right now. That's what made most people angry, that it might have just been a time constraint thing.

The update on their blog post mentioned something along the lines of "that is why we announced it ahead of time," but I don't think people were wrong to believe that the schedule was the culprit. Broadcast dubs obviously work on a different schedule, and said announcement came out only two hours before the episode. "Life just gets in the way" could have meant anything from the actors leaving the area, to quitting voice work, to simply not having time right now.

I'm sure they didn't want to give out all the personal details, nor would I expect them to, but the official comment wasn't handled very well, if you ask me. Anyway, now that I know that it wasn't a complete bonehead move by Funi, I'll have to get used to the change. I eventually got used to Maxey Whitehead as Alphonse Elric since that recasting was unavoidable, so I'll probably be fine with this eventually, too.

but that was because the orignal VA arron dismuke unfortunately is now a teenager when they licensed brotherhood and everyone agreed that puberty unfortunately made him sound too old to voice alphonse. that was proven during the OVA.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
definitely would have better if they had either vic mignona or even greg ayres instead since they can pull off the pervy male dead pretty well.

...but then the situation would've been way worse with their voices sounding too different. At least with Josh Grelle being Issei's new actor, some of the consistency is retained.

unfortunately, that's not the case for those that saw ep 1. after all this is the guy that made ichika sound an even bigger spacecase than usual which was both a good and bad thing. and the reason why i named those VA is that their use to roles where their characters are pervs. and especially ayres who everyone that follows funi , knows that from time to time he's usually the main lead in harem series in general other than negima.

i would bet that if funi had just announced that they was gonna replace issei's VA but NOT named the new one, a lot of people in the forums would be posting that they predicting they would have ayres as the replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Why in the hell would you want either of the Ayres in the role of Issei? Gods, the people whining and complaining about this voice change would be complaining even more, as his vocal quality is much more dramatically different from Freeman's than Grelle's is. (To say nothing of Vic.)

I can understand people being a little pissed about the short notice on all of this (and about Funi not clarifying up front that even waiting wouldn't have allowed Scott and Teri to come back), but otherwise I think this "problem" is being blown way, way out of proportion. Before I posted my episode review I went back and listened to the dubs of some of the earlier season episodes and switched back and forth between them several times. The difference wasn't that big. In terms of the most egregious casting changes in the past few years, these don't even chart. It's certainly nothing that would in the slightest discourage me from getting the eventual uncensored English BD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

but that was because the orignal VA arron dismuke unfortunately is now a teenager when they licensed brotherhood and everyone agreed that puberty unfortunately made him sound too old

As I said, knowing that the change was unavoidable was why I could get past it. The difference was noticeable at first, but since there wasn't an option to keep Aaron on it, I didn't let it bother me much. The same applies here. It would have been pretty hard to get past the change if it really was because Funi refused to hold off on dubbing the show. Since we now know that retaining the actors wasn't an option, I'll have to work on getting used to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4