• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - SNK-Hole

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Variable Geo's OVA was three episodes, but I can't say it helped the plot very much (although the plot was basically a straight-up ripoff of the Street Fighter II movie to begin with). All it did was give us an extra 30 minutes for more character fights and fanservice, which are pretty much the only two reasons anyone would ever watch Variable Geo anyway.

I absolutely love the Variable Geo OVAs, and I have no shame in admitting that. It's such dumb, ridiculous fun.

Man, I remember buying the Fatal Fury OVAs and the movie waaaaay back when and they are still some of my favorites to this day. This reminds me that I need to actually pick up the new(er) releases. I also greatly enjoyed KoF: Another Day.

P.S. Regret and Oh Angel are (terrible) excellent songs and I love them dearly.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The Street Fighter II movie and the Virtua Fighter anime have to be my fave adaptations fighting game-wise. I would've liked to have seen a Mark of the Wolves adaptation since I'm a fan of Rock Howard. He showed up in Another Day, but I don't think he was in it much as far as I remember.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Fatal Fury Anime. I'm a big SNK fan and those OVA and Movie we're so damn fun. I miss those days of anime. Record Of Lodoss War OVA, SFII the movie, Ninja Scroll. The good ol days when VHS cost $30.00 a piece.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

As for my "fighting game anime" wish list, that would have to start with Double Dragon (how did we get a live action movie for that but never get an anime?)

Presumably because the Japanese didn't really care all that much for it but America on the otherhand......

And good lord some of those anime designs are abusive to the eyes.
Zump

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I really dig the Fatak Fury OVAs and movie, although I don't care for the forced and cringeworthy attempted romance sub-plot between Terry and Sulia. They're worth watching for the fight animation.

I'd love to see Trigger make a Darkstalkers anime. Their sense of humor, as evidenced by Kill la Kill and Ninja Slayer, would be perfect for a Darkstalkers anime. And their fighting animation is pretty great too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Outside of Orgun and the Fatal Fury movie, Obari's best stuff was always his hentai.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I absolutely love the Variable Geo OVAs, and I have no shame in admitting that. It's such dumb, ridiculous fun.

I also had fun watching Variable Geo. The funny moments between outside of the battle tournament were a blast. Smile Plus, the OVA has led me to seek out the gaming title of it on YouTube.

However, its sequel, V.G. Neo, was a terrible watch, in which the one-hour OVA tried to be a hentai show while showcasing a plot.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Mortal Kombat -they made films! (Including #1 for 3 weeks in the box office. Really! Look it up!)

(And no, not Defenders of the Realm.)
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
I really dig the Fatak Fury OVAs and movie, although I don't care for the forced and cringeworthy attempted romance sub-plot between Terry and Sulia. They're worth watching for the fight animation.

Just imagine if they did an anime adaption based on Fatal Fury 3, they'd probably have Terry fall in love with Mary only for her to be killed by Yamazaki.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
I used to be a sucker for these game adaptations- usually with the thinking "Well, if there's no story then there's plenty of room for doing whatever."

Can't do that in forty minute or less OVAs.
Can't do that in 70 minute movies.

Those just wound up being "Look it's {insert character}! Bye, {insert character}."

Street Fighter II V, aside from the repeating and repeating and repeating footage that was repeated... Ken fought Vega/Balrog, did you know that yet?... I thought it was the best integration of fantasy ki attacks into physical martial arts, in both how they're learned and how they're used.

Even better than DBZ, I'd say. Wait, is that blasphemy?

Was it good, did it even make sense? I don't care, it was entertaining which is basic "Martial Arts 101".

I made it though the first dvd of Virtua Fighter and, yeah, the characters had all the personality that their character models provided. Coincidently, I've never been a fan of the VF series.

Tekken? Being a Jack series and Roger player in the franchise {boxing kangaroo for the win! And often, too...}, there'd never be a Tekken adaptation for me. And there's never been one, never I say... even if I saw a couple...

SNK, the poor man's Capcom? That is, the company that did things Capcom did but first yet also poorly? Outside of Mr. Karate's Tengu mask {...you know why...} and Mai Shiranui's breasts {ditto}, they kind of missed the point of character design. And when playing SNK vs Capcom... Wait, not that one, the other one, Capcom vs SNK... I always used Capcom's Dan Hibiki for no particular reason, really...

Dan, now there's a character who needs his own series/movie. How he didn't make it into the Street Fight II tournament, how he doesn't have rivals, how he's not taken seriously, not even by himself...

I'd watch it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

SNK, the poor man's Capcom? That is, the company that did things Capcom did but first yet also poorly? Outside of Mr. Karate's Tengu mask {...you know why...} and Mai Shiranui's breasts {ditto}, they kind of missed the point of character design. And when playing SNK vs Capcom... Wait, not that one, the other one, Capcom vs SNK... I always used Capcom's Dan Hibiki for no particular reason, really....

Oh wow. No. I was a fan of Capcom fighters long before SNK fighters. And don't get me wrong, I love 3rd Strike, SFIV, and most of the VS games as much as the next guy.

But SNK fighters? Those are something special. KoF 98/02/XIII? Fantastic fighters. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2? Fantastic. GAROU MARK OF WOLVES?! It might MIGHT be a hair better then 3rd Strike.

As for character designs, the fact that most KoF/FF fighters are just wearing clothes instead of costumes... that's AMAZING. Street Fighters all kinda seem like special snowflake Super-Heroes in comparison. Terry Bogard will beat you up in a trucker hat. Because he's that bad ass.

As for SNK vs Capcom / Capcom vs SNK (or rather CvS2). They both have their positives. CvS is like if Capcom made a 6-button KOF. Where as SvC is like if SNK made a 4-button Street Fighter III. They're both good, for different reasons.

Also you can't play as Zero in CvS.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I looked into this Ayumi Hamasaki thing. She first appeared in some live action commercials for Art of Fighting 2. (These can also be found on YouTube.) Her role on the anime was used on the broadcast, VHS, and Laserdisc versions. It wasn't until the DVD when it was replaced, allegedly for contractual reasons. She was replaced by the seiyu that voiced Yuri in the KOF games. I have no idea which seiyu is used on the US DVDs; the credits were never updated so Hamasaki is still credited on both versions. But I've heard Hamasaki's acting is really bad in that version, so it would probably be very noticeable.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I had a great time rewatching all Fatal Fury anime installments on DVD last year (thank you, Discotek), but I'm still frustrated that they never got to do an adaptation of FF3 or RBFF where we could see the final rematch between Terry and Geese. Unfortunately, the closest thing we'll ever get to it is that flashback/nightmare from the second episode of King of Fighters: Another Day.

And boy, what I wouldn't give for a KoF TV series by Obari that somehow fit within the Fatal Fury anime canon.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Mon May 04, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime: You should be glad Hibiki was left intact in the SF Alpha anime, 'cus they originally killed him off, until the test audiences complained.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I have no idea which seiyu is used on the US DVDs; the credits were never updated so Hamasaki is still credited on both versions. But I've heard Hamasaki's acting is really bad in that version, so it would probably be very noticeable.
I think it depends on whether the US DVDs predate the Japanese one or not. The first CPM DVD appears to have been released in 1998, according to the encyclopedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3