Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump to Add Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club, Devily Man Manga




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MDoorpsy



Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wonder why Lady Justice isn't getting an english translation. They let Food Wars in, so I'd assume it would have to be pretty bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kirisaki_kabuto



Joined: 06 Feb 2014
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, yes! Takuma Yokota is one of my favorite artists! And this is based on the oneshot that earned him praise directly from Oda if I remember correctly. I can't wait to read this.

Just in case people aren't recognizing, this is the guy who penned Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man and Tsunbaka. He also had a short story called Koganeiro in Jump which I quite enjoyed for its length and has Gakuen Dangerous ongoing (which definitely isn't for everyone but I personally find it hilarious, it's the best b-manga out there right now).

EDIT: by the way, I've never used this service, is it by monthly "subscription" like CR's manga service or do you buy individual chapters/volumes/series?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justsomeaccount



Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 471
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
Oh, yes! Takuma Yokota is one of my favorite artists! And this is based on the oneshot that earned him praise directly from Oda if I remember correctly. I can't wait to read this.

Just in case people aren't recognizing, this is the guy who penned Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man and Tsunbaka. He also had a short story called Koganeiro in Jump which I quite enjoyed for its length and has Gakuen Dangerous ongoing (which definitely isn't for everyone but I personally find it hilarious, it's the best b-manga out there right now).

You have automatically sold him to me with those two examples. I'm glad he went to draw professionally and I hope his professional works are as interesting as Kurosawa and Molester Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amaranth Sparrow



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
EDIT: by the way, I've never used this service, is it by monthly "subscription" like CR's manga service or do you buy individual chapters/volumes/series?

It's a digital version of the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, in English. It's $25 a year for 48 issues. Each issue has around 200~300 pages of manga. New issues come out every Monday, simultaneous with the Japanese sale date.

There's a free preview issue on the official site:

http://shonenjump.viz.com/reader/1140-weekly-shonen-jump-previews-5

They also have Android and iOS apps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14033
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
ala Dancing With The Stars, Shall We Dance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CallumKeyblade



Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'm so intrigued by the dance manga and really want them to pick it up but know it almost certainly won't be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kirisaki_kabuto



Joined: 06 Feb 2014
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
@Amaranth Sparrow I see, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of a lot of dance-centric mangas (only Hanayamata comes to mind, actually).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Wonder why Lady Justice isn't getting an english translation. They let Food Wars in, so I'd assume it would have to be pretty bad.


My guess? Either a trademark dispute with a comic book publisher (they can be pretty vicious if a character in an action story shares a name with one of theirs, no matter how insignificant) or they're afraid of people taking offense at someone named after a personification of a pillar of democracy.

kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
EDIT: by the way, I've never used this service, is it by monthly "subscription" like CR's manga service or do you buy individual chapters/volumes/series?


Viz's Shonen Jump is both. You can buy individual volumes if you'd like, or you can purchase 8-, 12-, or 24-month subscriptions. Functionally, it's just like a print magazine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawkmonger



Joined: 30 May 2014
Posts: 440
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lady Justice being excluded is.....odd. The swries has been picked up for omnibus editions (due soon I believe) and Neil Gaimon is ussualy very leanient in allowing his IP to be used (bless him!). I was rather looking forward to reading it as well....

Also the artist rang a bell, did he do Medaka Box?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group