• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Might Makes Rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Lots of shows are dubbed in Texas, but it's rare you will actually hear a Texas accent.
Define "Texas accent". Most people in Dallas or Houston don't exactly speak with a West Texas drawl.
Foxaika wrote:
They are planning to do a sub/dub release of Love Live. It won't just be one or the other, at least as far as I know.
The rerelease will be bilingual, but the original was sub-only. Not sure what they're planning for season 2(I just hope they go back to the long boxes for it).
WingKing wrote:
I don't think I've seen a dub-only release of an anime since the VHS days; that would be an awfully archaic way to sell a series
Funimation butchered Crayon Shin-chan badly enough the result was incompatible with the subbed version, which they haven't released. There are other releases along those lines, but I'm pretty sure the original series has also been released as well in most cases.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Sometimes things get lost in translation though. So yes, if one really did want to understand a work completely, they'd have to understand the language first to get all the implicit meanings, idioms, etc that would normally be lost in translation.

That'd take more than a lifetime of learning languages to fluency. (And I didn't say "a work," I was referring to ALL of them. Those are all things I have some degree of familiarity with through translations. I value, quite strongly, having broad and worldly knowledge.)

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There's a MovieStop near me that still carries tons of anime. There's one whole side of an aisle filled with nothing but used/new anime DVDs. The anime Blu-rays are mostly mixed in with all other Blu-rays (which are displayed along the walls).

That MovieStop may be able to sustain its anime section via used discs. Fry's Electronics does not buy or sell used things.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Professor Layton movie and the UK-only dub of Arriety.

The Professor Layton games and movie use a lot of British actors, but not completely--it has a lot of American actors pretending to be British too. Lani Minella, voice of Luke, an American, and voice director of the franchise's English dub, received a number of complaints that her accent wasn't authentic enough, so she replaced herself with a British actress in the European versions. (She is the only American voice to receive a lot of complaints like that.)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There was a very brief attempt by the BBC to dub Urusei Yatsura once upon a time (As "Lum the Invader Girl"). They had some recognizable names behind the mic but only a couple episodes were done.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The rerelease will be bilingual, but the original was sub-only. Not sure what they're planning for season 2(I just hope they go back to the long boxes for it).

Yeah, that's what I meant. I suppose I could have made it more clear, but I didn't say it was the first release. I own the first release lol, I know it's sub-only.

I too hope they go back to the long boxes, just for the sake of matching the first set.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums, Eigengrau!
Eigengrau wrote:
In reality, any country’s preference for dubs or subs does not speak to that country’s intelligence or literacy, but simply to a practical reality that existed at one time.

100%
I have to respectfully disagree with those arguing that Americans are just as likely to seek out subtitled entertainment as Europeans. I've definitely heard sentiment against subs, and foreign media in general. But disregarding anecdotes about individuals, look at how entertainment media is distributed in the United States. For whatever reason, TV and cable networks don't think Americans would watch a show if it takes place outside of the US, let alone if it's in another language. Anime aside, foreign language TV shows have not been available in the US, and foreign language movies are treated as extremely niche commodities. Hopefully the availability and popularity of foreign language
TV shows and movies via streaming services will help dispel the notion that Americans hate subs, but I really doubt it.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who prefer the release to have an English dub on it. The best and most recent example of me not buying a show because it lacked an English dub is Nisekoi.

Nisekoi is pretty darn popular. I have absolutely no idea why Aniplex would not give it a dub. The show isn't too Japanese, or isn't one of those shows where a majority of it would be lost in translation, so when they announced no dub, I was both confused and thoroughly pissed.

I will not be buying Nisekoi until they give it an English dub, which I'm still betting on the fact that they will one day. Plus the 60+ sets for 4 episodes is still ridiculous, just like Kill la Kill. But at least that had a dub.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355

I can't speak for anyone else, but really, I don't think the argument was about preference(it's dubs, probably by a fair margin)or people actively seeking foreign media, but the idea that Americans have some extreme difficulty reading subtitles and are completely unfamiliar with them. That is what I don't think is the case.

infamoustakai wrote:
Nisekoi is pretty darn popular.

But is it popular enough? Aniplex only seems to dub things that have a certain level of popularity. Kill la Kill and Madoka Magica are more popular than Nisekoi I think. Don't know for sure of course, but that is my intuition.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Anime aside, foreign language TV shows have not been available in the US,

Well, depending if ya still consider Spanish a foreign language in America at this point, there are whole channels in Spanish. Plus, public broadcasting channels have aired other language shows like Chinese, Polish, etc.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:
Nisekoi is pretty darn popular.

But is it popular enough? Aniplex only seems to dub things that have a certain level of popularity. Kill la Kill and Madoka Magica are more popular than Nisekoi I think. Don't know for sure of course, but that is my intuition.

Yes, they are more popular, technically. I'd say Nisekoi's success manga-wise in the US is a good sign of the fanbase here, and at least online I see a strong following of the anime as well. Not sure if Aniplex is going to wait it out for season 2 to finish and then gauge their options then, or just not dub it at all.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
bhl88 wrote:
Does NISA sub and dub a release, or will it be one or the other?Looking at the Love Live Blu-Ray in the future once it becomes available.

They are planning to do a sub/dub release of Love Live. It won't just be one or the other, at least as far as I know.

That will probably end up being one of those weird "we dubbed everything 'cept for the songs"
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

That will probably end up being one of those weird "we dubbed everything 'cept for the songs"

Believe that was mentioned in the Answerman prior to this one.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
For whatever reason, TV and cable networks don't think Americans would watch a show if it takes place outside of the US, let alone if it's in another language. Anime aside, foreign language TV shows have not been available in the US, and foreign language movies are treated as extremely niche commodities. Hopefully the availability and popularity of foreign language
TV shows and movies via streaming services will help dispel the notion that Americans hate subs, but I really doubt it.

The exceptions, as far as settings go, are fantasy settings and outer space settings; those have remained incredibly popular. Another exception is if the exoticism of foreign places gets played up, though those are very expensive to shoot when they're live action.

As for foreign-language TV, besides the Telemundo and Univision groups, you have some local TV stations that specialize in programming from other countries. LA18, for instance, is centered around Korean and Mandarin shows (with some Japanese live-action sprinkled throughout). These are meant for Americans with descent from those countries though, and while K-dramas had a surge in popularity a few years ago where they almost reached mainstream status, I haven't heard much from them in the public since.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Eigengrau!
I have to respectfully disagree with those arguing that Americans are just as likely to seek out subtitled entertainment as Europeans.

Thanks! Well, it depends. Ultimately, just as the US is not the monolithic "Eagleland" as it is sometimes portrayed in both domestic and foreign media, Europe is not a unified culture of blessed cheesemakers. Several individual countries could probably out-dismiss the US when it comes to the acceptance of media not in their native tongue. Mainly what I'm saying is that this state of affairs is purely accidental, something that's just come about in the development of that culture by external forces. It is no reason to indict anyone, person or people, with stupidity or small-mindedness.
The only thing I'm really against is the practice of translating translations. Like I mentioned in my previous post, my own country often subtitles series which were already dubbed, so you end up with something that is basically an approximation of an approximation of the original meaning.
Case in point: I first saw "Howl's Moving Castle" in Japanese with Dutch subtitles. Unfortunately, it turned out the subtitler had used an English script for his translation. This was especially confusing when it came to the character of the Witch of the Waste. "Waste" in English can have the meaning of "wasting things" or it can be an abbreviation of wasteland. Obviously, in the film it is the second, but the subtitler had gone with the first. So there was me, spending much of the movie's length trying to figure out what the meaning was behind naming this character after useless consumption. Also, it made nonsense out of Sophie's departure into the wasteland after being transformed.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:

Case in point: I first saw "Howl's Moving Castle" in Japanese with Dutch subtitles. Unfortunately, it turned out the subtitler had used an English script for his translation. This was especially confusing when it came to the character of the Witch of the Waste. "Waste" in English can have the meaning of "wasting things" or it can be an abbreviation of wasteland. Obviously, in the film it is the second, but the subtitler had gone with the first. So there was me, spending much of the movie's length trying to figure out what the meaning was behind naming this character after useless consumption. Also, it made nonsense out of Sophie's departure into the wasteland after being transformed.

(And the fact that it was Wynne-Jones' implied pun-parody on Oz's Wicked Witch of the West was lost on both the Japanese and the Dutch.
In fact, I can't think of a bit of DWJ's English fairytale spoof that WASN'T lost on Miyazaki. Rolling Eyes )
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The exceptions, as far as settings go, are fantasy settings and outer space settings; those have remained incredibly popular. Another exception is if the exoticism of foreign places gets played up, though those are very expensive to shoot when they're live action.

Fictional settings and space count, sort of?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for foreign-language TV, besides the Telemundo and Univision groups, you have some local TV stations that specialize in programming from other countries. LA18, for instance, is centered around Korean and Mandarin shows (with some Japanese live-action sprinkled throughout). These are meant for Americans with descent from those countries though, and while K-dramas had a surge in popularity a few years ago where they almost reached mainstream status, I haven't heard much from them in the public since.

Right, Telemundo and Univision, as well as local Chinese and other foreign language stations, are designed for native speakers of those languages, and not for general English speakers, so they rarely have English subs. MNet, which actually does have English-subbed Korean dramas and movies, is not offered by all cable providers. In general, English speaking Americans would be hard pressed to find subbed foreign language TV, and always have. Now that you can find more and more shows online (like, say, France's Les Revenants, or the Danish Borgen) it's less relevant, but I'm willing to bet that even US legal streaming services offer less foreign language programming than European ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13