• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1 DVD Listed With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a bit fishy since there was no proper announcement but I suppose Warner aren't the sort of company who'd do panels at anime convention.

What's to complain about? It's $50 for 26 episodes and an English dub! This is fantastic! Who cares if there's no Blu-ray?

If the dub is as good as the three episodes of Stardust Crusaders (I'm guessing it'll be done by the same people) then I've got a lot to look forward to.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I came to see if people were going to keep complaining that there is no BD release and ignore the good news that the release is at least getting a dub.

I ask you this: what is more bothersome to you in physical releases of anime, a lack of a dub or a lack of BD?

The latter. While I would like to get the best possible version of a show visually, if it's between a bare bones sub only BD and a bilingual DVD release, I'd pick the latter since it at least offers some level of rewatchability for me where as with the former there's no incentive for me not to just stick to the streams
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
It's 2015 and no BD?

Not unless you want to pay 2-3 times the price most likely. It's not like Jojo's visuals even deem a BD necessary like for instance a P.A. Works, ufotable, or KyoAni show would.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope the dub gets a Crunchyroll stream!
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd even take a Dub only bluray if it came to that, but everyone seems to freak out at that idea lol. If you really want to watch subbed again you can just watch the stream right? Persona 4 bluray didn't even get a complete collection release, must've sold horribly...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
I'd even take a Dub only bluray if it came to that, but everyone seems to freak out at that idea lol.

I have the Kurokami dub only BD's and have never felt the need of Japanese audio.

Quote:
Persona 4 bluray didn't even get a complete collection release, must've sold horribly...

I imagine a BD rerelease with dual audio would be very welcome.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
If you really want to watch subbed again you can just watch the stream right?

Right, because the stream is subbed AND uncensored.
BlueScarabGuy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Today is a great day for JoJo fans everywhere. I think the real question is, will Richard Epcar, voice of Joseph from the Stardust Crusaders test dub, be playing Battle Tendency Joseph? Although, when I mentioned it on twitter, he did favorite my tweet.....

"OH MY GOD!"
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
They could also just force subs if you have the JP VA on. The raw watcher crowd is pretty small.

But at least we're not getting a 3-4 episode a disc release. WB going "herp derp we're not giving you the FOR REALZ eventual BD release or Stardust 'because you didn't buy it lol" would be several times worse/anger-inducing.

Satan guide my wallet. Hope the dub's good. Accents, like some others have said, would be amazing.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Even Speedwagon is excited!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
I just hope they don't use Patrick Seitz for Dio, Dio is the crazy type, and Patrick works better as a side character, he just can't handle over reacting.

I'm wondering about accents as well, since part 1 is set in England. Will there be neutral accents or fake English ones.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
This is pretty damn awesome! I'm considering getting these DVD's if Archonia imports it, but I only want to see JoJo in 720p or up. Below doesn't do it enough justice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Excellent. I enjoyed the three dubbed Stardust eppies that ran on CR so this is good news for me. Also, nice to have confirmation that the release will have Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. The DVD-only thing is a bummer, but oh well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Now comes the question of getting it on TV.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I thought it was a bit fishy since there was no proper announcement but I suppose Warner aren't the sort of company who'd do panels at anime convention.

Actually, like I've said on other threads, there's going to be a screening of the Stardust Crusaders dub at Anime Central this weekend with Epcar, Crunchyroll, and Warner in attendance according to ACen's official Guidebook.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3