• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Inuyashiki Manga by Gantz Creator

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU:
Quote:
If we're not, then why publish it here at all? Just snag more tits and ass titles and be done with it.

People in the manga industry generally do this because they have a love for manga. But sadly, just because a manga is really good or a bestseller in Japan doesn't mean it'll do well over here. And those "tits and ass" titles, which I'm generally not fond of either, might make up for series that don't sell as well.
Quote:
So they'd prefer to have to write off a hit series failing here?

Probably. Again, I don't know why you're asking me, seeing as I'm not in the business and anything I'm saying is guesswork, but it's happened before. Viz has stopped publishing "popular in Japan" series like Gintama and Reborn! because of dismal sales, so why wouldn't Kodansha?
Quote:
And yet titles like Powers and Preacher are getting greenlit for tv adaptations.

I was talking about advertisements, not adaptions into TV shows.
Quote:
And so can Kodansha Japan. But it's also a circular thing. He's still rich, because he spends the money to advertise his stuff on teevee.

Patterson is kind of a unique case. He's written over a hundred books(or at least has over a hundred in his name) and seems to spend a lot of it back in advertising. And again, I was pointing out that no company would risk hundreds of thousands for a title that has had relatively lukewarm sales. Patterson's a proven goldmine.

I'm just going to stop arguing with you before the topic gets derailed any further.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Calico:
Quote:
Viz has stopped publishing "popular in Japan" series like Gintama and Reborn! because of dismal sales, so why wouldn't Kodansha?

Those sold poorly, because the 'fans' say they'll buy them, and then they just pirate 'em instead.

Quote:
I was talking about advertisements, not adaptions into TV shows.

They're still niche comics which they've chosen to give exposure to tv in some form.

Quote:
And again, I was pointing out that no company would risk hundreds of thousands for a title that has had relatively lukewarm sales.

And yet Inuyashiki will still keep going for ten volumes in Japan, even though the author has conceded it's a poor seller there. If Kodansha's that crazy to blow money on it, then at least they can spend on money on something which makes sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2