• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 Legend of Zelda Tunes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setsura1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Liking the list even though I have yet to play half of the games lol. I love the number 1 pick but I think Lost Woods/ Saria's Song might have edged it out just a bit for me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
You're so right about the emotional resonance of the music in Ocarina. That's why I still find the story in Ocarina to be the strongest of any Zelda game despite being superficially the most simple and arguably generic relative to later games in the series. It just hits on such an elemental and emotional level and the music is quite possibly the main reason. Moments (like meeting Zelda for the first time) that could easily fall flat and be utterly unmemorable in a lesser game are elevated to an incredibly memorable level.

Anyway, this might be sacrilege but I actually think Song of Storms is a tiny bit overrated. It's really great but if you want catchy, Saria's Song is even better. Also, while again I do like Song of Storms, I like it better as a stand-alone, independent song. But I think the song that works best in game is easily the Hyrule Field theme. Especially the first time you hear it that first time you come out of Kokiri Forrest. It perfectly sets the mood for the true beginning of your adventure and makes this little couple minute jog across the world hub feel like you're actually on some epic journey out into the world. It's pretty outstanding.

My List:

#10) Ocarina of Time - Twinrova Theme
Why is it that this very particular kind of sound is immediately classified in my brain as "Witch music"? That's weirdly specific but it really, really works.

#9) Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley Music
Many of my favorite songs have something of a western and/or Mexican sound and this epitomizes that phenomenon. Such a catchy song.

#8) Wind Waker - Main Theme
My preference tends to slant toward Ocarina and Twilight Princess generally but you really can't go wrong with this one. Perfect for the playful and adventurous mood of Wind Waker.

#7) Ocarina of Time - Spirit Temple Theme
Love the blend of spooky dungeon music with just a bit of jazzy (saxophone?) sound. By a mile the most underrated music in the whole series.

#6) Ocarina of Time - Saria's Song
I am still humming this song and have been since I first played Ocarina of Time back in the late 90s. Please help me. This isn't a joke.

#5) Majora's Mask - Stone Tower Temple Theme
Love the complex interplay of the heavy beating drums and the high pitched flute.

#4) Twilight Princess - Nighttime Theme.
Minimalistic and not overwhelmingly complex but it is absolutely hypnotic and beautiful.

#3) Ocarina of Time - Main Theme
A wonderfully melancholy composition that perfectly sets the tone for the game.

#2) Ocarina of Time - Hyrule Field Theme
This is actually not even in my top 15 in terms of songs to listen to on their own but as I explained above, boy does it ever work in game.

#1) Majora's Mask - Song of Healing
Really the ideal counterpoint to the otherwise hopeless tone of the rest of Majora's Mask's music. Rather than feeling heroic and energetic though, it's wonderfully calming and serene.

Runners Up:

So much stuff. The Forrest Temple music is probably my favorite dungeon music after the Spirit temple. I'm also rather partial to the Zant battle music and the Blizzeta theme as well as the Gerudo Desert music and the wonderfully corny Hidden Village music. Honestly, I could pick a lot of songs from Twilight Princess. It has a really killer soundtrack. Kamaro's Dance Music would also be in my top ten if it weren't so high pitched. Great melody though. And yeah, classics like Song of Storms and Zelda's Lullaby are pretty great too.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, of course the main theme would be on there... Funny thing though, I almost feel like Zelda's Lullaby has usurped the original overworld-music as the main theme of the series. Or at least, later games keep making variations of the overworld-theme that contain segments of it, but the entire original tune? Doesn't show up much anymore. Zelda's Lullaby, by comparison, appears in just about every game Zelda herself is in, from A Link to the Past and on... which is almost all of them.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Lost Woods is number 1 for me but I have been humming Zelda tunes for decades. Dragon roost, Song of Storms, nearly all the Zelda games have had some sort of catchy music. I enjoyed your list, Hope.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Zelda's Lullaby originated in A Link to the Past. Sounds better there in my opinion, as well.
HolyR

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
A little late, but I love all the songs on the list, and all the ones in this thread as well.

The DS games don't get much love (like, any), but I'm partial to Fraaz's theme from Spirit Tracks. Pretty simple, but it's catchy and stuck with me through the years.

One of my ABSOLUTE favorites is Groose's theme from Skyward Sword, mostly because I find it hilarious just how many times they remix it. And it's a fun tune.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Great list, it couldn't have been easy. Ocarina of Time could fill up the list alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2