• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon/Danganronpa Voice Actress Nobuyo Oyama Suffering From Dementia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Emerje, thank you for your long-time work.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
why would they make this a news? these sort of things are personal, maybe it is just me but i find this sort of illnes coverage disrespectful to patient in question. maybe some people might wonder why she is not taking jobs anymore, but from that to tell us she can't even take baths by herself anymore is going too far.

Emerje wrote:
First off this wouldn't have been news if someone close to her didn't want it to be. The Japanese are very private about their health, a country where most minor illnesses are "colds". Most likely this was something that a family member or her manager wanted people to know about. The details are too intimate for this to have been leaked. The reasoning brings me to my second point.

<snip>

If more people like her and her family were brave enough to come out to increase awareness like this then we'd stand a greater chance of beating it.

The first part of Emerge's response is exactly what I was going to say. So +1 essentially.

To add to it, Oyama has a lot of fans throughout Japan and the world (Doraemon may not be popular in North America, but it is exceptionally popular in many, many countries). Her private life is none of their business, but of course they wonder about her, and care about her their own way. When there has been no news about an actress, fans do actually start to worry. Many actors and actresses care very much about their fans, and wouldn't want to leave them in the dark about why they've been out of the public eye.

I can only hope that Oyama's family and agent were acting in a way they believe she would have wanted.

The second part of Emerje's answer I would not have thought of. I'm glad he brought it up.

-t
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
this is horrible, some diseases are just unbearable. I hope she gets better.

It's dementia it's not going to get better unfortunately.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
This is horrible. Dementia just might be one of the toughest diseases to go through, and it's extremely complicated. The human brain is so complex, and there's so much we still don't know about it. My cousins' grandfather had dementia for many years before he passed away, and it's horrible for anyone involved. He had to be placed in a nursing home, where he spent the last few years of his life. Also, Casey Kasem suffered from lewy body dementia, which claimed his life last year, and we all how horrible that situation ended up being.

Miss Oyama is pushing 80, but she was still able to turn in a memorable performance as Monokuma in Danganronpa, and she seems like a really nice person. This is a horrible thing to happen to her.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Oh no, this is terrible news Crying or Very sad

Also, slight correction for the article. The Danganronpa anime aired in 2013, not 2012.
B00m23

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
No! Whyyyyyyyyyyyy Sad
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
This is a terrible thing to have to go through. My maternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother both have dementia. My great-grandmother is being taken care of by my great-aunt and my grandmother is being taken care of by my parents, though I will be assisting them very soon. It takes a toll on everybody and when your loved ones are not remembering things or not being what they were when you knew them, it is just heart breaking. I applaud the family for being open about this, because more needs to be researched about this disease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
She ain't going to be returning back to anything, sadly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've recently had to put my own mother of 88 years into "assisted living" care because of this evil disease. She was always active and could literally walk for miles and still can except now her memory has deteriorated to where she doesn't know how to return home, or where home actually is. Now I have to sell the home her and my late father worked all their lives to pay for and all her posessions to pay for her long term care. Slowly the mother I knew and who knew me is fading farther and farther away to someday die as a complete stranger to me and her. I'd rather be put down like a sick animal than go the same way and I fear I also am sliding down the same slippery slope. Isn't growing old fun? Mr. Green
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dementia is indeed a mind-crushing ailment that one can never overcome once it sets in. Hence, it is painfully sad that Mrs. Oyama-san will never return to voice acting as a result of this. Sad She was indeed a really talented seiyuu.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is just awful. I'm at a loss as to what to say.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
My grandmother had dementia, it's a very horrible thing to deal with, both for the person with it and their loved ones.

definitely nothing to mess around with. will probably have to end her career immediately to focus on this since its also a symptom of possibly getting Alzheimer's disease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
My grandmother suffered from dementia for several years before she passed away. One of the things she would do regularly was play with her own feces in the middle of the night. It's really hard when a family member has developed dementia.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I think I cried a little bit this morning, and I almost hated ANN for reporting this. Jsut the fact that i had to see this. Just a temporary hate.

Mostly it's either cancer, some kind of heart failure, pneumonia, etc. But no, not this time. It's one of the worse things you could get diagnosed with.

It's not going to get better.

Unless, Oyama...I hope you're strong, and I hope your family members will do all they can to help you.

That's all. Crying or Very sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Isn't growing old fun? Mr. Green

Yeah provided you can even live long enough to get to old age which a lot of kids and young people don't get to do unfortunately Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3