• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hanamonogatari Sub.Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I thought this arc was nothing but a "talk-fest" but I couldn't catch on to those tiny interesting details mentioned in this review. I should rewatch this.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
One of the things I really appreciate about Hana is that it finally shifts Kanbaru's sexual orientation away from mostly unfunny running-gag to a meaningful part of her character. Not that the arc couldn't have worked without the romance subplot, but it's an important part of Kanbaru's identity as a character so I'm glad to see it actually handled with some grace for once.

Kanbaru was always one of my favorite Monogatari girls, but she also seemed the most overdue to have her Pervy "Lesbian" schtick turned on its head the way the show had done with Hanekawa and Nadeko's characters. I had to wait until after the friggin season was over, but it was worth it!
Endoger

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This was my absolute favorite Monogatari arc the moment it aired, and then I saw how many people thought it was boring and did nothing. I felt like I was watching a different show than them. So I'm really glad you were able to catch all of the things that made this arc so fantastic.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought this arc was nothing but a "talk-fest" but I couldn't catch on to those tiny interesting details mentioned in this review. I should rewatch this.

With the exception of Medaka Box, I think all Nisio Ishin stories constitute talk-fests. Heady, entertaining talk-fests, but talk-fests nonetheless.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The series has always had high art, low animation, except for the rare occasion of high amounts of animation that last a few minutes. For a Basketball game I would expect it to offer up some good animation though.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
With the exception of Medaka Box, I think all Nisio Ishin stories constitute talk-fests. Heady, entertaining talk-fests, but talk-fests nonetheless.

I would argue even Medaka Box is a pretty talky manga, especially for what is supposed to be an "action" comic. Lots of people explaining stuff and spouting off bad puns.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would argue even Medaka Box is a pretty talky manga, especially for what is supposed to be an "action" comic. Lots of people explaining stuff and spouting off bad puns.

Very true. I just felt that it offered more action than the typical Ishin story - which, to be fair, doesn't say much.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked this a lot more if Araragi wasn't in it.

That's what I loved about "Hitagi End". Just Hitagi, Kaiki, and Nadeko, with just a bit of that perverted piece of crap to put up with. And it was my favorite episode, too, except most of the Neko epic.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I simply could not get into this. You can say as much as you want about the details and symbolism, but if a show cannot interest me enough to pick up on them, I won't get said meaning and it will bore me. And this did. It spent far too much time with Kyouka, a character who I did not care about at all. I didn't find her interesting in the least, and nothing the show tried to do convinced me otherwise. I guess that's how it goes with the Monogatari series: it should be thought of as individual arcs of vastly varying appeal to different people, rather than a single series/franchise with relatively consistent appeal across the board.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Quote:

Very true. I just felt that it offered more action than the typical Ishin story - which, to be fair, doesn't say much.

The only Monogatari story with a decent amount of action is Kizumonogatari, but Shinbo et. al. have been holding back a movie of that for a couple of decades. It's also the backstory to almost the whole series!

The confrontation with Kiss-shot (Shinobu) at the end of that novel was brilliant.

Last edited by thofheinz on Thu May 14, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The series has always had high art, low animation, except for the rare occasion of high amounts of animation that last a few minutes. For a Basketball game I would expect it to offer up some good animation though.

That's what I would have thought as well... but it didn't. It was a really boring arc visually, to be honest. Story-wise, Kanbaru has never been one of my favorite characters, but I thought, all-in-all, that this was pretty entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1