• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimEigo Plans Kickstarter for Otaku no Video Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'd back this. I'd also double dip on Gunbuster/Diebuster BD sets.
MacrossJunkie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Otaku no Video used to be the first anime screening to open any NA anime convention.

Not recommended for those who can't make fun of themselves.

Actually I run the Video Rooms and AV for Animazement, and I've made sure we play "Otaku No Video" every year since I took over (2007), it's the first thing we play Thursday Night at Pre-Con. It will be nice to upgrade my worn out DVD for a Blu-Ray though...

On a side-note, Robert Woodhead of Animeigo will be running a panel at this years Animazement with some more announcements...
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
Otaku no Video I already own it on dvd and don't plan on buying/financing a bd version.
Now were Animeigo to license rescue either on dvd or bd Crusher Joe (film and/or the ovas) count me in. Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Now were Animeigo to license rescue either on dvd or bd Crusher Joe (film and/or the ovas) count me in. Laughing

Would that be the world's first license rescue from oneself? Very Happy

"Otaku no Video" I've got on DVD, and watch every few years. It's a different film every time I see it, because each time I've changed a bit myself, and have a different perspective on it.

The avatar of the first poster in this thread is very appropriate here, btw, since spoiler[one of the MCs in "Otaku no Video" is introduced cosplaying Char]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
I think that for a company that has been around since the late 80s, they would license newer anime titles already.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that for a company that has been around since the late 80s, they would license newer anime titles already.

Well, I'm pretty sure for the last several years they haven't licensed anything and the anime part of the company (they also do live action samurai movies) was packed away. I am guessing they still have the license for this and feel it worth putting out on Blu-ray but I doubt you will see much else from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'm just thrilled to see them still around! Animeigo and Streamline were the first companies that really sucked me into anime (and sucked money right out of my wallet) and one of the first real fan-run anime studios of the eighties. I would love to see them go the Discotek route and start picking up older (and presumably much cheaper) shows and OVAs from the 70's and 80's.

Sure they don't have a lot of output right now, but when they eventually close their doors someday, we'll be losing a piece of anime history.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'd be up for it for historical value (we need to teach the young kids what it was like in the Underground days!), and the Gainax autobiography before THE HOLY EVA ever existed, but watched it again a few years ago, and boy, does it run long.
The fake interviews are funny (no one who wasn't there in the late 80's will ever get the joke about Lum-obsessed US anime fans in Japan), but there's way too many of them and they get one-note after a while.

Still, it's good to see a fan parody from the pre-stigma days--remember when the worst you could be accused of was having a Char helmet?--but it deserves to be from Discotek. They could have at least licensed the original Daicon IV video, for an extra.
Bob, our nostalgia for AnimEigo ran out after you finished the UY set. Either go back to samurais, and have the decency to leave license rescues to the real companies, or PLEASE bury yourself, the corpse is beginning to smell.
But if you ARE now on a Kickstarter kick because we all noticed the Bubblegum Crisis thing...Rumic World, Spirit of Wonder, or go home. Non-negotiable.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Still, it's good to see a fan parody from the pre-stigma days--remember when the worst you could be accused of was having a Char helmet?

Unfortunately in Japan at that time, being into Anime, as in your interest goes beyond watching it after work, was looked down upon. The Otaku murder of the late 80s made it even worse Sad

I think Otaku No Video satirises and at the same time holds a mirror up to this.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
They could have at least licensed the original Daicon IV video, for an extra.

Could they have? I can't imagine that ELO would be cheap, and if you strip the song out, would it be as good?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Eric:
Quote:

No, they can't, because Gainax is run by a-holes. But I did suggest the idea of bargaining with them to let Daicon on home video in exchange for pre-ordering advanced Blu-Ray copies of Uru in Blue. So we shall if Woodhead, or anyone else, bites on that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Unfortunately in Japan at that time, being into Anime, as in your interest goes beyond watching it after work, was looked down upon. The Otaku murder of the late 80s made it even worse Sad

Yes, but being considered "childish" or a "closet pedophile killer" for owning a Char helmet in the 80's was mild compared to the 00's accusations that any anime sympathy IMMEDIATELY indicted you as a militant unemployed gynophobic NEET, who barricaded himself in his apartment and waved his Internet/game-addiction flag high over the sad working world.
Not one symptom, not an isolated few, but all of them, at the slightest hint of a charge, and no possibility of appeal.

Those were the days when we had harmless mass-appeal mainstream anime to be embarrassed by, not niche-fetish anime to really be embarrassed by. Embarassed
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I still need to check this out, so this seems like a perfect opportunity.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
watched it again a few years ago, and boy, does it run long. The fake interviews are funny but there's way too many of them and they get one-note after a while.

Hell, I only rewatched the first episode a few months ago, even using a BDrip, and got pretty tired of it even skipping through all of the live action segments. The OVA's connection with fandom of today has worn thin, but maybe the second episode will remain more fresh.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
...but watched it again a few years ago, and boy, does it run long.
Bob, our nostalgia for AnimEigo ran out after you finished the UY set. Either go back to samurais, and have the decency to leave license rescues to the real companies, or PLEASE bury yourself, the corpse is beginning to smell.
But if you ARE now on a Kickstarter kick because we all noticed the Bubblegum Crisis thing...Rumic World, Spirit of Wonder, or go home. Non-negotiable.

It's good to see you have some passion for anime, however....

When you say "does it run long", do you mean it's so boring that if feels long? Or is it time wise long?

Getting "Daicon IV" would be a great coup, but how can you be so sure that Discotek would get the extra?

In the end I hope they "Don't go home" because if they did we wouldn't have the BGC blu-ray or the upcoming OnV on blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4