• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimEigo Plans Kickstarter for Otaku no Video Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But I did suggest the idea of bargaining with them to let Daicon on home video in exchange for pre-ordering advanced Blu-Ray copies of Uru in Blue. So we shall if Woodhead, or anyone else, bites on that.

If Uru = UY, that's long past the dreams of Bob's garage.
All we've heard now is that Viz might look at it after the success of Ranma, and by "might", we mean, "Assuming they don't give up and chuck Rumiko out the window again halfway through Maison Ikkoku". Mad
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Very cool indeed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Eric: I'm referring to that Wings of Honneamise sequel currently in the works. Those Gainax bastards keep trying to shove that effing borefest of a movie on everyone.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
But I did suggest the idea of bargaining with them to let Daicon on home video in exchange for pre-ordering advanced Blu-Ray copies of Uru in Blue. So we shall if Woodhead, or anyone else, bites on that.

If Uru = UY, that's long past the dreams of Bob's garage.

That would be Aoki Uru, the sequel to Honneamise, not Urusei Yatsura.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
This may be the first Kickstarter I contribute to. I've been meaning to see Otaku no Video for quite some time now. I really dig "old anime," I've realized over the past few years.

And yes, a Gunbuster Blu-ray Kickstarter would be amazing.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Bob, our nostalgia for AnimEigo ran out after you finished the UY set.

Robert, on the off-chance you're reading, he must be using the royal "we," because I've still got plenty of nostalgia for AnimEigo, and am happy to see at least some anime-related activity over there after all this time. I'm especially intrigued by the post above that said more announcements are upcoming.

ADV, Streamline, CPM, and Pioneer have all come and gone, and yet AE still remains, constant as the north star, and its accompanying fist.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Robert, on the off-chance you're reading, he must be using the royal "we," because I've still got plenty of nostalgia for AnimEigo, and am happy to see at least some anime-related activity over there after all this time. I'm especially intrigued by the post above that said more announcements are upcoming.

ADV, Streamline, CPM, and Pioneer have all come and gone, and yet AE still remains, constant as the north star, and its accompanying fist.

AnimEigo was from the early 90's when anime was for-fans-by-fans, which is a nice sentiment, but just about darn near impossible in the post ADV/Funimation era.
To say that AE videos didn't really start hitting the big time until they hired the new little studio of Coastal Carolina for dubs was kind of the harbinger of things to come--While it's nice that companies can be anime fans, big companies are the ones who can license shows, produce dubs, stream digital and release Blu-rays. It's not about a bunch of maverick spare-time fans with home-computer subtitling programs anymore.
(Which is sort of ironic, when we're talking about OnV. Razz )

Before the Kickstarters for BGC, I'd thought AE had finally lost all their licenses for their last remaining shows, including Macross and UY, and could stop pretending. Now, it's just more delusion on the company's part and sentimentality on the fans' part, but that doesn't add up to anything real.
When ADV took Macross away and gave it a better disk and a real dub, I didn't think that AE should have "kept" the show on principle; in fact, I was sort of glad it had finally hit the big time and didn't have to be sub-only or ordered from an obscure website anymore.
If that same obscurity is what you're wishing on UY, Yawara or You're Under Arrest, just to reproduce some fan feelings from 1992, I'll thank you NOT to.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
If that same obscurity is what you're wishing on UY, Yawara or You're Under Arrest, just to reproduce some fan feelings from 1992, I'll thank you NOT to.

Ah...You're Under Arrest...Thanks for bringing the name up, along with my dream that someone would one day have interest for the show and the idea of trying to finish it, despite myself knowing that it's never going to come true. *Sigh...* Anime cry
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
I've never actually seen this one but I'm willing to put a bit in having just finally watched the Gunbuster movie the other night, I'm now in just the right mood to go for another old Gainax title. (Speaking of Gunbuster I also agree with the comments for a kickstarter for the series BDs of Gunbuster and Diebuster, because I mean the movie was fantastic but there were definitely glaring pacing and development flaws from the compression of the first four episodes)

EDIT: However I'm slightly suspicious of AnimEigo being allowed to use a BD50 where Japan only used a BD25. Surely there's a catch outside of not being allowed to ship to Japan?

Nope, no catch. AnimEigo also released BGC on larger and more BDs than the Japanese release at higher bitrates. They're most likely allowed to do things like this as they are dealing with very old properties in very limited quantities. Since the only way to purchase the sets is through KS and from them, the only other way you could buy one of these sets would be through second hand - that would limit the amount of exposure the title could have. Since the exposure is lower, and considering the age of the titles, I doubt they have as many issues dealing with the different involved parties in Japan.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

AnimEigo was from the early 90's when anime was for-fans-by-fans, which is a nice sentiment, but just about darn near impossible in the post ADV/Funimation era.
To say that AE videos didn't really start hitting the big time until they hired the new little studio of Coastal Carolina for dubs was kind of the harbinger of things to come--While it's nice that companies can be anime fans, big companies are the ones who can license shows, produce dubs, stream digital and release Blu-rays. It's not about a bunch of maverick spare-time fans with home-computer subtitling programs anymore.
(Which is sort of ironic, when we're talking about OnV. Razz )

Before the Kickstarters for BGC, I'd thought AE had finally lost all their licenses for their last remaining shows, including Macross and UY, and could stop pretending. Now, it's just more delusion on the company's part and sentimentality on the fans' part, but that doesn't add up to anything real.
When ADV took Macross away and gave it a better disk and a real dub, I didn't think that AE should have "kept" the show on principle; in fact, I was sort of glad it had finally hit the big time and didn't have to be sub-only or ordered from an obscure website anymore.

I have no nostalgia for AnimEigo since I only really heard of them when they were first starting to sell off their remaining copies of You're Under Arrest. Looking at where the company is today without considering what Robert has done in the past, his most recent anime release (BGC Ultimate Edition) is certainly at a far higher quality and with more extras than a set Discotek/Sentai Filmworks/[insert company here] would have put out for BGC. That's not to say they would have turned out a bad product, but considering all the materials that Robert already has access to, considering he originally released these shows on VHS, and considering he still has the licenses for these shows (BGC and OnV), it's only logical they would try/experiment with these shows.

It might be that BGC is an older show only sold sold through an "obscure" website, but considering where the majority of purchases now happen for anime (online), it has never been a better time to pursue this kind of crowd-funding model. PLUS, since we're not just talking about the North American market, but the whole world (excluding Japan), there is always the possibility that this will be the first time people will be introduced to the title.

When it comes down to it, it's great to have companies like AnimEigo alongside the heavy hitters like FUNimation and neo-ADV because it gives us more anime[b]. There are plenty of shows that would never get picked or re-released, and to make those more niche (but still sought after) titles available to the consumer is the name of the game. To me, I don't care who works on what title - as long as we get a quality product that does the show justice.
partially

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

That is the most bizarre assertion I have seen in a long time. So successfully releasing a product and having people buy it then quickly following that up with something new is: pretending, a delusion, and not real? Doing things on a small scale and not making it mass-market doesn't negate its existence. Sure I haven't been too impressed with AEs methods in the past myself. But I see no problem with what they are doing with these Kickstarters.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Post of the year *clap clap*
Quote:

If the campaign reaches its initial US$40,000 goal, it would focus on stretch goals including new artwork and graphics materials by Otaku no Video character designer Kenichi Sonoda.
Could this mean new, exclusive artwork for the AE release done by Sonoda-sensei himself? This number one Sonoda fan, who will do almost anything for new Sonoda artwork, or any Sonoda artwork, is ALL IN!
jdotaku

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
its been long enough and this being bluray its worthy of support!
NorbieH

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

The BGC Ultimate Edition Box Set in my hand feels pretty real. I even made sure that the discs were real when I put them into my player.... Yes, it looks pretty real to me. Wink
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Surprised some people on are actually complaining about AnimEigo releasing this and BGC....

Why? It's truly fantastic that we can actually purchase this on BD in a time where not only these shows are old and mostly long forgotten/ignored but also when the physical release itself is on it's last legs.

Truly wonderful stuff that I'd gladly support.

GATSU wrote:
I'm referring to that Wings of Honneamise sequel currently in the works. Those Gainax bastards keep trying to shove that effing borefest of a movie on everyone.

I'd watch that. In fact, I'd pay a decent chunk of money too. It was rather enjoyable to finally sit down last year and watch The Wings of Honneamise for the first time, on BD no less. It was rather spectacular.

vanfanel wrote:

Actually, I love me some Yawara! and I'd do some very shameful things for new a release of the 1994 You're Under Arrest OVA - a show which I love with all my heart for opening my eyes to just how good older anime could look and sound, as compared to whatever new shows I was watching back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4