• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Classics to Release Our Little Sister Film in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film premiered in Japan on June 13.

Shouldn't that be "will premiere", seeing as it's still a future event?

Also, I question why the English title "Our Little Sister" is totally different to the Japanese title "Umimachi Diary". I mean, the title still fits the story, but still.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
Expect changes:

Japanese manga adaptation kicks off race for Cannes gold

• It tells the story of three siblings whose estranged father, a notorious womaniser, dies. At his burial, they meet their orphaned teenage half-sister for the first time.

But in a break with the Cinderella story and its wicked stepsisters, the trio shows Suzu nothing but kindness when she moves in with them, in a gentle family drama that has become [Director] Koreeda’s trademark.

Koreeda said he aimed to recapture some of the most beautiful images from the manga including cherry blossoms spread on a beach and the sisters lighting sparklers in their summer kimonos.

But he said the narrative, which begins and ends with funeral rites, needed fleshing out before it was ready for the big screen.

“After a time, we put the manga aside to work on the screenplay and change it so that the characters could be enhanced and come alive on screen,” Koreeda said.

Serious down-to-earth drama like this tend not to get made an anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Congrats.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:
The film premiered in Japan on June 13.

Shouldn't that be "will premiere", seeing as it's still a future event?

Thanks for pointing that out! It's been fixed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
I wanted to see this film after reading Manohla Dargis's brief description of it in her Cannes writeup. It includes this lovely shot from the sparkler scene mentioned above.

Quote:
Far more satisfying is the lovely and gentle “Our Little Sister,” from the Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda, who was here two years ago with “Like Father, Like Son.” This time, Mr. Kore-eda has turned his clear, delicate gaze on the female line. After their absentee father dies, three grown sisters — a harmonious trio played by Haruka Ayase, Masami Nagasawa and Kaho — discover they have a teenage half sister (a radiant heartbreaker, Suzu Hirose). In contrast to a drama like, say, “La Tête Haute,” which regularly explodes with big emotional scenes, “Our Little Sister,” pleasurably and movingly floats along on the in-between moments that make up a human life — a tender touch, a silent pause, the taste of plum wine, a long bike ride under a canopy of cherry-tree blossoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1