• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I love this show, and I have to admit....I'm rather disappointed with this release of season 1.

I want a blu-ray with all the shinies, with sub and dub options! I would buy that! I mean, I'm glad there is a cheap option, and normally I would happily go for it....but really, I'd rather have a blu-ray gracing my shelf at the very least....

....I wonder if a blu ray with subs and dubs will ever come out for season 1 of this show, considering who has the licences? Am I weird for hoping that Funi gets its grubby hands on it eventually?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
I saw a picture of the box on Twitter. With the design and the bland font on the front cover it actually bears a striking resemblance to the fake anime DVDs I see in Chinatown every time I go down to Sydney. I'm surprised that such a popular series is getting such a barebones release.

As for the show itself, it honestly took me by surprise. At that point KyoAni were in a bit of a slump so I wasn't optimistic in the slightest. Yet surprisingly, it turned out to be the best thing KyoAni made all year. I'm still surprised that the smexy bishonen show gave me more of what I like about KyoAni than Tamako Market did despite me having much higher expectations for the latter.

Apart from their penchant for bad recap movies, KyoAni have more or less gotten out of their slump. But Free was the push in the right direction that KyoAni needed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
No, you're not. I was ready to give someone my money, but not for a DVD of this title. I'm the weird one! I want a Blu-ray because of all the exquisitely colored and animated water! Very Happy I usually don't care for most titles, but I shelled out the extra bucks for Tsuritama's BD solely because of all the colorful water animation. When it's done well, and no one does it better than Kyo-Ani, it's just refreshing to look at. Makes me understand Haru's obsession. Wink
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I love this show, but I guess I don't love it enough to buy this sub only release even when it was on sale at Rightstuf lol. Even if it just had EXTRAS I would have gotten it, but there is no extras, no dub, and I do not like the cover art at all. I'm just going to have to wait for a better release if they ever do it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a fantastic show and I really enjoyed it. That said, I won't be buying this set - heck, I rather import the Japanese blu rays if only for the true HD quality. I am eagerly awaiting funimation's S2 release and hope that they collaborate with these guys to get S1 dubbed and on blu ray as well.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I love Free! It's one of my favorite animes, but I'm not buying it on DVD. I'm fine with a sub only release, as aside from Rei, I don't like the voice actors Funimation's dub will have. (not that I'll be buying it, as I found ES to be a Huge disappointment, and was upset that Rin barely hang out with Haru and the others, and was almost always with his swim team who I can't stand to begin with.)

I'm still hopeing for a Limited Edition Blu Ray. But I doubt that will happen.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't even mind a barebones DVD release (lord knows I never check out the extras, I don't like dubs and I don't even own a BD player) if the cover art wasn't so bad. It looks like a bad trace from official art. This is a show about [expletive] bishonens, why do their faces look so horribly derpy?
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
...still haven't received my copy, quite annoyed about that. Haikyuu vol 1, which wasn't supposed to be released till next month, that I ordered together with Free, that one I got nearly mid-April (seriously, Rightstuf, not that I mind, but it's getting tiring trying to figure out when exactly you are going to charge me for preorders). But Free is still "reserved for my order", even though it appears in stock. I probably should complain to someone.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia - As posted by tigeress in the FandomPost forums, the picture is character art from the end of the OP sequence. It looks like it was just cut out, rotated, and then zoomed in. Or perhaps traced. So damn lazy. It looks like a bootleg. Hell, I've seen bootlegs that are better quality than this, sadly.

I'm going to immediately jump on Funi's release of the 2nd season. But this? Man, I have little desire to buy the 1st season at this point. I imagine I'd buy it during a low purchasing month, but only to encourage a bluray, dubbed release later. The second a bluray comes out, this release would be donated to the library.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Matthew Powell

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I own this and i am deeply disappointed with this release for one of my fav anime the box art is awful the menu art is also bad and it doesn't contain the great FrFr episodes Im just going to stick with my JP Blu rays which look 100x better and hope it gets a dubbed BR release from Funimation as I can not wait for their eternal summer release
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing the cover art when TRSI first put the listing up. I was pretty alarmed that so little effort went into it.

I'm holding off on buying it. I'll get S2 from Funi and (hopefully!) we'll get a nice BD release in the future. I'd like if the OVA specials were included, too.

Last edited by RestLessone on Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
I love this show, and I have to admit....I'm rather disappointed with this release of season 1.

I want a blu-ray with all the shinies, with sub and dub options! I would buy that! I mean, I'm glad there is a cheap option, and normally I would happily go for it....but really, I'd rather have a blu-ray gracing my shelf at the very least....

....I wonder if a blu ray with subs and dubs will ever come out for season 1 of this show, considering who has the licences? Am I weird for hoping that Funi gets its grubby hands on it eventually?

You took the words right out of my mouth, friend.

And no, I don't think you're weird. Or at least if you are, then I'm weird too for wanting the same thing.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
@CrowLia - As posted by tigeress in the FandomPost forums, the picture is character art from the end of the OP sequence. It looks like it was just cut out, rotated, and then zoomed in. Or perhaps traced. So damn lazy. It looks like a bootleg. Hell, I've seen bootlegs that are better quality than this, sadly.

It's definitely a trace. While the original is not the best of Free artwork out there, it doesn't look that bad. The cover, though, looks like the sort of terribad lineart you'd find in bootleg children's Disney coloring books. There's a shitload of beautiful official artwork out there. Seriously, a nice cover, at that price point, and I probably would've imported it. Shame
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Matthew Powell wrote:
...it doesn't contain the great FrFr episodes Im just going to stick with my JP Blu rays which look 100x better

I assume the JP BDs have the FrFr episodes? Do they have English subs?

I just hope that if this dvd doesn't sell well, it won't be interpreted as no one being interested in buying the series rather than no one being interested in buying a substandard release.
Matthew Powell

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Matthew Powell wrote:
...it doesn't contain the great FrFr episodes Im just going to stick with my JP Blu rays which look 100x better

I assume the JP BDs have the FrFr episodes? Do they have English subs?

No they don't have subs but the quality is loads better it looks like they just put a release together before Funimation's I expect better Eternal Summer release
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4