• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Springtime for Panties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
While not as solidly fun as the original Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 does have its advantages. Having an ongoing story arc with a beginning, middle, and end, for instance. And you get a little more representation of each Knight Saber instead of it being solely The Priss Show (though it eventually becomes that in 2040, too).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
If you read the D-Frag Manga they joke about that sometimes.

How is the manga by the way? Would you say it's definitely worth a read if you enjoyed the show?

Highly enjoyable. I absolutely love the manga, and, while the anime does a decent job in general, the comedic beats in the manga never miss a step. The anime left out the punishment game from when Takao lost the cultural festival bet, which is one of my favorite chapters. They also relegated the water race to the OVA, which is another of my favorite mini stories. I feel like every chapter of D-FRAG has me holding my sides, which is quite impressive.

If you have an accessible bookstore that carries manga, you might be able to check it out there, I definitely saw D-FRAG at my local Barnes & Noble.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Part of the fun of Puchimas while it was airing (for me, anyway) was that it aired every weekday, and the episodes themselves each started with a shot of a calendar, a zoom-in on that particular day, and the jokes tended to run with the idea that you are watching it on specifically that day.
LordAura

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad D-frag is getting some praise over here. The last anime that actually made me laugh this much was School Rumble. It really turned out to be much better than I thought it going to be.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the first episode of D-Frag and thought one of the characters looked like Kenji Harima from School Rumble.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yaki-udon wrote:
I remember watching the first episode of D-Frag and thought one of the characters looked like Kenji Harima from School Rumble.

That's probably Long Mountain Nagayama ("So impressive his name has to be said in English too!").
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
As soon as I saw that Denki-Gai was considered rental shelf, I pretty much knew what the first paragraph would say, and I have to agree with it. Unless you're really, really into a show, it is pretty hard to justify that price.

yeah, not shelfworthy because of price, lol.

Yeah, the reviewer is basically saying its not worth the high price you have to pay for it. Makes sense to me. Those that love it completely, probably will pay for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Yeah it's really sad that they're bringing over pretty much everything that the Japanese got, at half price & with a really quick release schedule.

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Wow, you're insufferable.

Well, what works in one market doesn't mean it works in another market.

For instance, our movie theaters cost less and quicker than what Japanese get in their movie theaters, but still doesn't mean that people here don't think the prices are high. The high prices work in Japan; the high prices don't work here, even at half price and quick releases.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
While not as solidly fun as the original Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 does have its advantages. Having an ongoing story arc with a beginning, middle, and end, for instance. And you get a little more representation of each Knight Saber instead of it being solely The Priss Show (though it eventually becomes that in 2040, too).

I like BGC: Tokyo 2040, certainly a lot more than its "style over anything else" predecessor, but the series didn't want to concretely define its characters. Especially its main cast and secondary cast and people who take part in the stand alone episodes...

The plot's fine and I love Mason and that later one as villains but I think it's the OVA series that forces the reboot to be so vague about its heroes. "Priss is like this and Sylvia is like this so we can't do what we want but we kind of do so let's just fake it." Kind of weird for such a small source material to hold so much power.

I'll still never forget that last sequence though. The ultimate triumph of humanity and how do you distill humanity to its essence? Well, you strip it of all its unnecessary elements, of course...

Still beats fanservice just for the sake of fanservice. Still is fanservice too.

I got the D Frag set. Great dub, good show but it either needed more episodes or a smaller cast. as the show even managed to make the class idol Funabori into a good comedic character, plus there was never enough Tama for my tastes at the end so after awhile it felt like the creators were making tough decisions on who to show.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

For instance, our movie theaters cost less and quicker than what Japanese get in their movie theaters, but still doesn't mean that people here don't think the prices are high. The high prices work in Japan; the high prices don't work here, even at half price and quick releases.

PonyCan US's prices have been a very long drawn out discussion ever since they were announced, much like Aninplex US's similar pricing, and it likely will not stop being talked about until something fundamental changes in the dynamic.

So far as I'm concerned what I want is a US Market priced release of full season ( approx 12 eps ) sets in SE or even CE packaging. I don't have a problem with Deluxe CE releases targeted at the Uber Collector and I don't have a problem waiting until those & the Japanese home market releases have run their course.

I gave up on Theaters several years ago, we had been seeing a dozen or more films a year but it gets tedious when the films are all sequels, remakes, reboots and / or they try to preach at you. So, I spend that money on Anime for myself and Games / Video / Streaming entertainment for the rest of the family.

Mark Gosdin
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

I gave up on Theaters several years ago, we had been seeing a dozen or more films a year but it gets tedious when the films are all sequels, remakes, reboots and / or they try to preach at you.

What about anime sequels, remakes, reboots, or preaches? Smile

(There are actually movies that are not those, but it's just that people don't go see them.)
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

AoA now having 10+ employees and still being around after half a decade disproves what you're saying. It does work. Though PonyCan is taking it a step further than AoA, so it'll be interesting how they fare. I'm certain that their Kyoto Animation title will move some discs in the US, even at their current price points!

Also, what do you mean by your theathers being "quicker"?
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
While I enjoyed Denki-gai...and would like to buy it, the price point will stop me. There are some series where I have paid the prices asked (Monogatari being what got me), it does take a lot to get me to do so.

Personal worth is what comes to play for everyone.

As for D-Frag, it's one of those series that I enjoyed...but it's lack of an ending disappoints me.

Though, I'm thinking about buying the manga. I don't know if it has gotten to the stage where the anime left off, and if it hasn't, I'll wait until it does. Main reason being, I'd like to be able to read at least a whole volume that'll be new to me, so I'll wait and buy in bulk. Laughing
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
AoA now having 10+ employees and still being around after half a decade disproves what you're saying. It does work. Though PonyCan is taking it a step further than AoA, so it'll be interesting how they fare. I'm certain that their Kyoto Animation title will move some discs in the US, even at their current price points!

To paraphrase the late Sir Terry Pratchett, " What Aniplex does works, for a given value of work. " In other words it works for them, but they are not the only entity involved in this market. It just does not work for me or for what appears to be a fair number of other Anime Fans / Collectors.

Again, I don't have a problem with the Deluxe CE's. This isn't a zero sum game. Aniplex and PonyCan need to be convinced of this. The only way I know of is by feedback, online & in person when possible.

Mark Gosdin
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Is there any other genre of popular entertainment where "boobs" and "panties" are a common topic of discussion among reviewers? I certainly can't think of any!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4