• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii Shares Thoughts on Drones, Friendship, Social Networking

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
I stopped using Facebook a long time ago (which my friends give me a hard time about).

But I use and enjoy Twitter. I won't say I made any life long friends on Twitter lol but for me it is fun to engage with people with similar interests (in my case: Anime, Classic Film & TV, Doctor Who, etc).
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to sound rude, but I believe that Oshii may have some form of socially-challenged autism. The things he's saying about people and relationships? It sounds like a repressive defense mechanism, as if he just isn't compatible with humanity.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
I don't want to sound rude, but I believe that Oshii may have some form of socially-challenged autism. The things he's saying about people and relationships? It sounds like a repressive defense mechanism, as if he just isn't compatible with humanity.

He isn't necessarily wrong. How many friends do you have?

FRIENDS are really a really hard to find, most people dont find any friends in their entire life.

And then you have "friends", of this kind you can have many, but of thins kind he is right that these kind of "friends" exist merely for convenience, expecting something in return at some point or are merely advantageous to have. A man of his position must have many of these, expecting some kind of advantage of having his as "friend".

Maybe he is just too sincere, most people want "friends" as they can be useful at some point, its a give and take situation. Maybe he just done need the hassle and its one of many unlucky ones to not have FRIENDS, and for a man of his position, like most famous people or with power or with money, those are a magnet for "friends".

He is right about social networking thou, it has become a huge issue for youngsters primarily, of course in their perspective all its normal, but most indeed manifest anxious behavior if they are not connected socially online.
Vent

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
"maybe he's just too sincere" definitely sounds like code for "maybe he's just an asshole"
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go and agree with Madoka Ayukawa up there.

I myself don't think I've called anyone a 'friend' in decades. I've ot friendly co-workers, I've got friendly people I sometimes do things with. But when I ponder if any of them are Friends to the End, you'd be surprised how many people find it much easier to bail on their connections.

Just need to type into a social media platform your favorite show or game and suddenly you have ordered up a near limitless supply of fresh 'friends' to replace any that have stepped out of line.

Through Thick and Thin, Friends to the End - these elements are quite common in the shows we enjoy, but in this day in age quanitity seems much more popular than quality (depth of the relationship, not saying people aren't quality on their own.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Being a grumpy old git as well I can sympathise and relate to everything he said. I guess it's because we, I mean people of his and my age, grew up in a world where the only social media was the telephone, you know the ones that were connected to copper wires on the wall and in booths doted around the city and country? Or hand written letters with quill and parchment hand delivered by men and women who made careers in delivering letters to people. Ask your parents or grand parents. Somehow we still managed to survive and get along. I don't do any social media outside of anime forums like this and only a very few of those. I have a facebook account, but it's so locked down and privatized that not even my children "like" me, or want me to be their "friend" and that the way I want it. If it wasn't for Hatsune Miku I wouldn't even be on facebook anyway. I'm probably the only one on facebook with 0 likes and 0 friends. Laughing Nothing personal, but I don't know you so I'm not sure if I would like you, or be your friend, simple as that. Razz
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Oi, as a 30-something deliverer of your letters I too have a Facebook mostly for show. I think I hit 'accept' on a couple friends when I was trying to work with it.

I will admit though I check my Twitter often, almost entirely as a private News Feed. I follow studios and companies and voice actors, wit a healthy dose of idol chatter. It's like a private Headline News service without ads or anyone inbetween.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2