• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla's TOHO Sues Over Monster Film Starring Anne Hathaway

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the image I thought it would be a sort-of-joke film ala Sharknado or something like that. Actually, there's a recent/upcoming Asylum film called Megashark vs Kolossus which is basically SyFy's signature shark fighting the Colossal Titan from SnK

[img]
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss266/joanlafulla/Bob%20Rock/MVK_Interior_zpsgrxjzemg.jpg~original
[/img]
The film is actually called Megashark vs Great Titan in Japanese. I always just assumed this sort of thing was too ridiculous to even count as a copyright infringement.

If they're gonna go through with the lawsuit they should at least give us their own crappy Godzilla vs Mazinger movie.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't believe we'd miss out on Mazinger Z for that reason I believe we'd miss out on it because it's old and it's anime. Rolling Eyes

It is not so old unless you forget that in 2009 there was a very nice reboot called shin mazinger z and at this very moment they are straming RoboT Girls Z, which is a parody of the whole go nagai robot shows.

I would not mind a serious Godzilla vs. Mazinger Z flick, specially if the have the level of CGI of Pacific Rim.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna sue, sue Yes, I'm gonna sue Sue, sue, yeah that's what I'm gonna do I'm gonna sue, sue Yes, I'm gonna sue Sue, sue, yeah I might even sue you! "Weird Al Yankovic" Laughing
Haiyami

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
That's just bad. Voltage Pictures didn't get copyright at all. What they are doing is pretty dick move. TOHO has every right to SUE.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:
Not sure whether you're ignorant of copyright infringement or downright intelligently challenged. Oh, and don't try to weasel out by saying something like "You don't understand sarcasm, mate?".

You don't understand sarcasm, mate?
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder as someone else mentioned how they got they e-mail at Toho. Must have been employe that went "This wrong I'm going to send it to Toho" If they went even close to this down the line how did they think they were going to way with it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
What's really telling is that Toho acted, while Toei sat on their thumbs. Proves my long-held opinion that they don't care if their anime is pirated, as long as they make money in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:

I do wonder as someone else mentioned how they got they e-mail at Toho. Must have been employe that went "This wrong I'm going to send it to Toho" If they went even close to this down the line how did they think they were going to way with it?

From the source:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/anne-hathaway-lizard-film-under-796883

• The complaint was filed by Greenberg Glusker's Aaron Moss and Chuck Shephard, Toho's longtime litigators. "We've represented Toho for a long time, and this is about as brazen an act of infringement as we've encountered. It's hard to believe that an established Hollywood production company would conduct business this way," Shephard tells The Hollywood Reporter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3