• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: .hack//SIGN DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, thanks for letting me know. I will put Crest and Banner back on my list, now that I know it's not supposed to be so obtuse.

As for the Toonami airing of .hack//SIGN, I couldn't make much sense of it either, but that's a reason much more obvious to me: Because I was only able to watch episodes here and there as I hadn't returned home from school in most cases.

As I recall (though it was aaaages ago, so I might be wrong), adult swim aired .hack late at night as well, which was how I watched it (paired up with Saint Seiya, strangely enough).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't that Legend of the Twilight Bracelet?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Sign, Legend and Roots all aired late night on adultswim. I know I watched all of them in the wee hours (the latter half of Roots in the very wee hours, like around 4 am). I seem to remember Sign being on at 2 am. Legend aired back in 2004 at 1 am.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
SIGN's initial run was at 3pm (PST, at least) on Saturday afternoons. I don't think the run was finished, though, before it was moved to the later slot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
That sounds about right because I seem to remember coming in on it partway through and not knowing what was going on. I just thought it was beautiful and intriguing. I never even got to see the first episodes until I started collecting the disks. Smile
ZJCitrusGraffiti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
So, nobody knows if the Funi dub is different from the Bandaid dub? If it is, pros? Cons?
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
This article accurately explains why I love this anime, despite its slow-ness.

Never been much of an MMO person but at the time I finally finished this show, I was very active on online forums, most prominantly Gaia Online. This anime really nailed the online social experience on the head, and is one of the few anime to really give me what I call "the warm fuzzies" by the end of it. Subaru is still one of my favorite anime characters ever, and I can most certainly relate to her tendancy to create and lead online groups and succumb to hopeless idealisms.

Funnily enough, this anime inspired me to explore MMOs, and then I found that they weren't really what I wanted. Anime hyper I must not be that much of an action-oriented person.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
.hack reminds me of those game magazine articles --when MMORPG exploded into the mainstream due to the incredible rise of World of Warcraft-- about the social aspects of MMORPGs, including articles about renowned Japanese game personalities playing WoW and their J-social reasons for being their first ever MMORPG game.

(I'd scan ya guys the articles if I could find those magazines again!)

ZJCitrusGraffiti wrote:

So, nobody knows if the Funi dub is different from the Bandaid dub? If it is, pros? Cons?

There's no point for Funi to expense a redub of an old show, so no.

Aki Ameko wrote:

Subaru is still one of my favorite anime characters ever, and I can most certainly relate to her tendancy to create and lead online groups and succumb to hopeless idealisms.

Also, Subaru is VA Kim Mai Guest's few breakout roles in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4